FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Checked bags on non-UA operated flights booked on UA.com (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1927559-checked-bags-non-ua-operated-flights-booked-ua-com.html)

dand99 Aug 27, 2018 2:03 pm

Checked bags on non-UA operated flights booked on UA.com

So, AC metal to YUL, UA metal out of LAX.
The AC flight on my ticket is shown as the LH codeshare, L class.
Am currently MP Gold.

UA.com shows me 1 free checked bag to YUL, 2 Free checked bags out of LAX.
Shouldn't UA.com be showing two bags for AC/*G ?https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...83d0a2d4e9.jpg

WineCountryUA Aug 27, 2018 2:07 pm

Don't rely on UA to provide the right bag waiver for non-UA flight with *A status. Check directly with the operating carrier.

emcampbe Aug 27, 2018 2:52 pm

This is all one booking, yes?

Not 100% sure, but don’t believe the DOT bag charge rule would apply, at least on the outbound since OP is traveling to Canada and not the US. UA bag waiver definitely wouldn’t apply. Don’t know you’re status, but based on the return waivers, I’m guessing gold or higher.

In that case, you should get ACs allowance, which is nothing if the fare is basic economy (not sure if that’s possible on a codeshare), and 1 free bag at50lbs if not. You’d also get your *G extra bag (assuming you are), which IME, is frequently missing on itineraries operates by partners. 70lbs won’t happen since that is only good when departing on UA metal.

If the itinerary follows the DOt bag rule for the whole thing, which is possible based on the ex-LAX return, you’d get LH allowance, plus 1 extra if *G.

Honestly, I’d ask Air Canada what they have down - that is likely what will be charged at the counter. Note Air Canada, on their e-tickets, only states the standard allowance, and never includes the *G extra - there is a note somewhere that explains.

BullishGS Aug 27, 2018 7:48 pm

Never really check my bags much but, I thought *G are entitled to 1 checked bag at 20KG

WineCountryUA Aug 27, 2018 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by erickliu (Post 30137279)
Never really check my bags much but, I thought *G are entitled to 1 checked bag at 20KG

a little more complex than that

*G Extra Baggage Allowance

You can take an extra 20 kg (44 pounds) where the weight concept applies or an extra piece where the piece concept applies.

Some airlines do not offer this benefit on individual flights but only on connecting Star Alliance flights. Within Europe on "Light" fares offered by Lufthansa, Austrian & SWISS, "Check&Go" fares offered by Brussels Airlines, "tap discount" fares offered by TAP and “Go light” fares offered by SAS as well as on “Seat” fares offered by Air New Zealand, the extra baggage allowance is not offered.
So bag allowance depends on the ticket bag allowance per the operating carrier, the bag method of their allowance and any fare restrictions. And as other have reported, AC does not neccessarily report the *G benefit except at the airport.

dand99 Aug 27, 2018 11:00 pm

Yes, one booking. I mentioned MP *G.
*G extra bag missing on partner itineraries ? Have you ever had that happen (on non-HLO flights) ??
Or do you mean just missing from the information displayed on the partner booking ?

I would be surprised if it's a TATL basic economy leg, codeshare and part of a multi-leg/multi carrier itinerary.
I will ask AC, but based on my last call I' m not that confident of getting a correct response (I recently asked about *G allowance on a Basic economy domestic and was told, by the supervisor, 3 bags...)

Originally Posted by emcampbe (Post 30136366)

Not 100% sure, but don’t believe the DOT bag charge rule would apply, at least on the outbound since OP is traveling to Canada and not the US. UA bag waiver definitely wouldn’t apply. Don’t know you’re status, but based on the return waivers, I’m guessing gold or higher.

In that case, you should get ACs allowance, which is nothing if the fare is basic economy (not sure if that’s possible on a codeshare), and 1 free bag at50lbs if not. You’d also get your *G extra bag (assuming you are), which IME, is frequently missing on itineraries operates by partners. 70lbs won’t happen since that is only good when departing on UA metal.

If the itinerary follows the DOt bag rule for the whole thing, which is possible based on the ex-LAX return, you’d get LH allowance, plus 1 extra if *G.

Honestly, I’d ask Air Canada what they have down - that is likely what will be charged at the counter. Note Air Canada, on their e-tickets, only states the standard allowance, and never includes the *G extra - there is a note somewhere that explains.

PTahCha Aug 28, 2018 8:03 am

As *G, you should receive 2 free checked bags CDG - YUL (one free bag for international, one extra bag for *G).

emcampbe Aug 28, 2018 8:13 am

Originally Posted by dand99 (Post 30137729)
Yes, one booking. I mentioned MP *G.
*G extra bag missing on partner itineraries ? Have you ever had that happen (on non-HLO flights) ??
Or do you mean just missing from the information displayed on the partner booking ?

I mean missing on the UA-issued e-receipt only.

I’m only silver this year, but have been gold or plat every year since prior to the merger before that, and have rarely had an incorrectly assigned number of free bags that I can remember when checking in - the last time I can recall having an issue was when flying US Air when they were in *A.

AC agents should have access to the number of free bags coded into the ticket and incorporating status, assuming that is showing correctly to AC. What a reservation agent sees at the call center should be exactly what a check in agent will see, which will both show what the computer calculates based on everything. If you are really concerned it’s not correct, bring your *G card to show at check in.

PTahCha Aug 28, 2018 10:11 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe (Post 30139026)

I mean missing on the UA-issued e-receipt only.

I’m only silver this year, but have been gold or plat every year since prior to the merger before that, and have rarely had an incorrectly assigned number of free bags that I can remember when checking in - the last time I can recall having an issue was when flying US Air when they were in *A.

AC agents should have access to the number of free bags coded into the ticket and incorporating status, assuming that is showing correctly to AC. What a reservation agent sees at the call center should be exactly what a check in agent will see, which will both show what the computer calculates based on everything. If you are really concerned it’s not correct, bring your *G card to show at check in.

The only time I had an issue was on a UA codeshare, AC operated transborder flight. AC agent wanted to charge me $25 for checking the first bag, claiming that only the second bag was free according to the computer. Complained to AC customer service and got a refund.

3Cforme Aug 28, 2018 10:28 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe (Post 30136366)

Not 100% sure, but don’t believe the DOT bag charge rule would apply, at least on the outbound since OP is traveling to Canada and not the US.

The U.S. DOT rules apply with an itin to, from, or within the U.S. The OP appears to have a LAX departure. If it's a single itin, he's good.

Questions regarding Section 399.85(c) 20. When must U.S. and foreign carriers, agents of either, and ticket agents begin including information regarding the passenger’s free baggage allowance and/or the applicable fees for a carry-on bag and the first and second checked bag on e-ticket confirmations for air transportation within, to or from the United States as set forth in section 399.85(c)? Section 399.85(c) is effective on January 24, 2012.