Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Kitchen issues EWR, no hot food domestic F (Intl/PS ok) Aug-Sept 2018 - notice/comp?

Kitchen issues EWR, no hot food domestic F (Intl/PS ok) Aug-Sept 2018 - notice/comp?

Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Was BoB also affected? Why not just load a few extra? In that situation, I wouldn't have minded getting the pizza.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA GS (1MM), DL Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Avis CC
From an internal memo - they're conducting maintenance on some coolers in the EWR facility and have less space for fresh food preparation. This does not affect international flights or premium transcon markets. Maintenance should be completed this week.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I wonder if other EWR flights are affected?
Happened to me yesterday on EWR->SAN. I took the $100 and a tapas snack box, I was more than happy
Old Aug 27, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
On the same flight now. Never got the email, asked the FA to give me an extra voucher (she's giving one to all 8 of us) and will call 1K when I land for the one I was supposed to get.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
What a superb deal. I would gladly give up my free 1K meal for $100 UA coupon. Particularly with the advance notice which enables me to plan accordingly.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Was BoB also affected? Why not just load a few extra? In that situation, I wouldn't have minded getting the pizza.
BoB in economy was not affected; my morning flight offered all of the normal economy menu items. I think I saw an F/A carrying tapas boxes for everyone in F.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:14 am

Ended up with a $300 travel voucher.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by AugustusM
Ended up with a $300 travel voucher.
For a missing $2 worth of food? Seems absurd to me, but what do I know?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by dmurphynj
For a missing $2 worth of food? Seems absurd to me, but what do I know?
I'm not going to complain. Between the DEN catering, broken entertainment and now this I've gotten vouchered like crazy.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:19 pm

Here's one possible explanation for what's going on, which appears to cite a UA spokesperson: http://newjersey.news12.com/story/38...tchen-facility
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by aindfan
Here's one possible explanation for what's going on, which appears to cite a UA spokesperson: Listeria bacteria found inside cooler at United Airlines kitchen
That will do it...
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by alexbellamy
Just received an email from United about tonight's flight

Any ideas what is going on?
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Yes, they are doing maintainence work in the kitchens.
Beautifully concise.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I was on UA2415 yesterday, EWR-PDX, and experienced the same snack box scenario. But I never got an email in advance. Only about half of the pax in F got the email, and it appears that they each had to haggle with GA's for the vouchers. The person sitting next to me was offered a $10 voucher, and after pushing back on how little that would buy in the way of breakfast at OTG outlets, was given $20. The person sitting across from me took the $10 and was steamed after hearing that others got $20.

No proactive use of the hand held devices to issue ETC by the crew, who tried to pin the blame on ground staff. I had to write in to 1K Voice after arriving to get the $100 ETC. And this is what they wrote about the voucher/email/communication snafu:

I'm so sorry you were were not notified of the limited food onboard your flight from Newark. Your email clearly expresses your disappointment. I would like to extend my personal apology for lack of communication to you, and for the additional inconvenience.

We agree accurate communication is essential and can prevent unnecessary obstacles. We will be sure to follow up with our entire staff for a training opportunity to ensure we are doing our best to convey correct and applicable information.
I'm just glad that I liberated a banana from the United Club before heading to the gate. I don't usually do this, but I had a sixth sense that it could come in handy on that flight.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 5:41 pm

Just rec'd a text that there will be no food on my 8/31 526am EWR-ORD flight tomorrow due to kitchen maintenance. Included a link for compensation, which did not work.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 30, 2018 at 6:23 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 30, 2018, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium
Proactively received the text for my flight on 8/27 from EWR-ORD. Flight was at 5:30 AM so gladly took the $100 and slept on the plane. Was also given $20 meal vouchers at the EWR gate to use in ORD. Pretty impressed with United recently. Had a 4 hour delay/cancellation last week due to weather. Wrote in and actually received a phone call from United apologizing (only the 2nd time in 7 years)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.