Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dog running through the cabin

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA MP
I'm confused as to why the FA as chasing the dog. The pax who brought the dog on board has the responsibility to keep it tamed.. with the exception that maybe the pax is immobile.

A while ago in the *A lounge at LAX, pax brought two "service/ES dogs" into the lounge. Lounge almost instantly sounded like an animal shelter and others were clearly unimpressed with the owner's control over them. Understandably, the owner was embarrassed so she brought them out to the outdoor terrace to have them bark at other pax relaxing outside.
I'm sure other pax informed lounge personnel of their dissatisfaction, but she appeared to have left on her own will half an hour later.

This is a policy issue that airlines need to look into. I read somewhere that dogs were not allowed in lounges, but I guess i'm wrong??
Old Aug 25, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
If the flight attendants would spend just a fraction of the energy they expend on their finger-wagging "we're here primarily for your safety" vitriol on the fake ESA's, this problem would stop very quickly.
have I missed where the FA is responsible for defining who the fake ESA’s are?
Old Aug 25, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by JetAway
If airlines put a dog walking area on their aircraft incidents like this might not happen. Dogs need to get up and walk around on long flights just like other folks.
Totally disagree.

My step-father was a breeder for the seeing eye dogs (admittedly in Australia but am assuming the training is the same), the dogs have to be able to sit/lie immobile for long stretches and if unable to do so do not pass muster as a guide dog/service animal. They then become pets.

Pets on the other hand would seem to have a need to be walked on a regular basis but the rules are they are to be in their carrier at all times.

Perhaps it would be kinder to the pets to have a pet sitter in the comfort of their own home rather than subject them to the joys of flying (if you truly love your pet and do not want to subject them to long stretches in a confined space).
Old Aug 25, 2018, 4:55 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
the dogs have to be able to sit/lie immobile for long stretches and if unable to do so do not pass muster as a guide dog/service animal. They then become pets.
This is the problem because idiots are trying to pass pets as service animals to save a few dollars and as a result make it harder for people who really need service animals.
awayIgo, Silver Fox, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 5:01 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by gene2632
Just be thankful it was not my therapy elephant..........
And the Secret Service wrestled the therapy elephant to the ground
jspira likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Totally disagree.

My step-father was a breeder for the seeing eye dogs (admittedly in Australia but am assuming the training is the same), the dogs have to be able to sit/lie immobile for long stretches and if unable to do so do not pass muster as a guide dog/service animal. They then become pets.

Pets on the other hand would seem to have a need to be walked on a regular basis but the rules are they are to be in their carrier at all times.

Perhaps it would be kinder to the pets to have a pet sitter in the comfort of their own home rather than subject them to the joys of flying (if you truly love your pet and do not want to subject them to long stretches in a confined space).
It (my earlier post) was meant as sarcasm but perhaps it was too close to today's reality. I've raised dogs for 25 years and would never put them on aircraft either as cargo or as "pax."
Old Aug 25, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Was it a golden retriever? If so, probably getting preferential treatment like all the other gold customers.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If airlines put a dog walking area on their aircraft incidents like this might not happen. Dogs need to get up and walk around on long flights just like other folks.
What a novel idea! I think the wing might be the perfect place for this! A little airlock just behind the exit row...
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 6:54 pm

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
Originally Posted by TTmex
Was it a golden retriever? If so, probably getting preferential treatment like all the other gold customers.
DKYWIA only own Platinum Retrievers.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by kale73
What a novel idea! I think the wing might be the perfect place for this! A little airlock just behind the exit row...
... with a toilet lid that is engineered to fall down, repeatedly!
Old Aug 25, 2018, 7:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Live4Upgrade
from a couple of years ago. FA even stopped to pet the dog. It was brought on board by a lady who was wearing 3" heels. I think the only handicap she had was missing a few brain cells.
I hope the FA washed his/her hands thoroughly between petting the dog and serving food.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
it would have to be a really long flight like 9+ hours. What do you think they do when they sleep all night?
Originally Posted by erickliu
I'm confused as to why the FA as chasing the dog. The pax who brought the dog on board has the responsibility to keep it tamed.. with the exception that maybe the pax is immobile.

A while ago in the *A lounge at LAX, pax brought two "service/ES dogs" into the lounge. Lounge almost instantly sounded like an animal shelter and others were clearly unimpressed with the owner's control over them. Understandably, the owner was embarrassed so she brought them out to the outdoor terrace to have them bark at other pax relaxing outside.
I'm sure other pax informed lounge personnel of their dissatisfaction, but she appeared to have left on her own will half an hour later.

This is a policy issue that airlines need to look into. I read somewhere that dogs were not allowed in lounges, but I guess i'm wrong??
im going to go research the policy/Regs on lounges but I don’t think they should be allowed. Lounges are a privilege not a right.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 25, 2018 at 8:16 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 25, 2018, 8:15 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by Collierkr

im going to go research the policy/Regs on lounges but I don’t think they should be allowed. Lounges are a privilege not a right.
But what if it’s a real service dog? A person with valid access shouldn’t be turned away because of a disability. Either way, might be a good idea to require that the animals count as 1 guest?

I think I’m actually more impressed that they made it past the lounge dragons!
Old Aug 25, 2018, 8:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Collierkr
From the United Club membership rules
Pet and service animal policy
  • Service animals and in-cabin pets are welcome in United Club locations, provided local ordinances permit them.
  • All policies associated with service animals and in-cabin pets traveling on United or United Express flights also apply in our United Club locations.
  • In-cabin pets must remain inside their kennels with the door secured at all times.
  • Animals must be trained to behave properly in public settings and follow the direction of their owners.
  • Animals must be clean and under the owner's control at all times.
  • Animals are not allowed to occupy seats that are designed for United Club guests.
  • Animals are not allowed to eat or drink from United Club serviceware.
  • Animals may not engage in disruptive behavior such as roaming freely, barking, growling or biting.
  • All animals must remain on the floor when they are near food or beverage display areas.
Additionally the DOT reqs presently make little distinction between types of "service" animals
Collierkr likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:35 pm

This is getting worse and worse. I get that there are some people that have legit ESS animals. However, there is a huge need for a very strict, government run certifying of such animals. The animals also need to have training comparable to that of seeing eye dogs etc. So far, I haven't come across any animals on my flight. However, I am petrified of the thought. I dislike larger dogs and the thought of them near me is not comforting. ( don't I deserve to have a calm emotional flight) My niece is a lot worse. If she had a dog near her--I think she would be the one attempting to break and climb out the window--even at 30,000 feet!
PACLipper likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.