Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dog running through the cabin

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My understanding is that some airports allow pet dogs to be on leashes in the terminal while others require that the animal stay in its carrier. It's apparently a matter of local ordinances.
ORD seems to be one of the airports that allow dogs on leashes in the terminal as I saw two last Sunday. Then one of the dogs was in the United Club in B6. And the owner (or, if you prefer, the dog's best friend) took it to the food serving area, maybe so that the dog could decide what it wanted to eat....
Old Aug 25, 2018, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
If the flight attendants would spend just a fraction of the energy they expend on their finger-wagging "we're here primarily for your safety" vitriol on the fake ESA's, this problem would stop very quickly.
They've been complaining via their internal channels at all the majors over the last year - it's their concerns about safety and airline liability from recent injuries to passengers that caused those policy announcements from the airlines earlier this year.

And now the DOT is looking at revising the rules. There was a comment period that just ended last month - more to come hopefully to curb the abuse and let the rule help those intended.

https://www.transportation.gov/briefing-room/dot3618
narvik, wrp96, Kacee and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: Air Krapistan Poop Points "Scooper Level"
I had an issue with a dog out of its carrier that was getting a little nippy with me. I asked for myself or the owner to be re-seated. I was in business but willing to move to coach. I was told there were no empty seats. Wrote a letter to UA customer service twice and never heard back. Have not flown them since. And I am sure they could care less.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Dogs must be in the carrier at all times during flight period. This event is totally inexcusable. Luckily it wasn’t I who was jumped on.

This is has to stop! While UA is partially to blame we need to start banning these goofballs with their animals.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
There were two "emotional support" animals, complete with vests proudly displaying their status on my flight from SFO-CLE last week.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 12:42 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by COUnited
The service animal issue is irrelevant here.

Small dogs are allowed in the cabin on UA flights, period. They are, however, supposed to stay in their carrier or kennel.
That's if they actually pay to fly their "regular" pet, but I believe service animals don't need to be in a carrier/kennel since they're supposed to be "working" and assisting the owner.
Originally Posted by enviroian
I'll take a dog (dog lover) any day over some DYKWIA ... hat or crying child.
Some of these people are not fit to be per owners and are just cheap irresponsible people who don't bother to train their pets and claim that they need an emotional support animal so that they can take their pets with them for free (even if the pet doesn't want to fly).
Source: I know several bad pet owner who found and bought the cheapest 'certificates' online so that they could take their pets with them for free cause they were too cheap to make other arrangements.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by nydave11
I had an issue with a dog out of its carrier that was getting a little nippy with me. I asked for myself or the owner to be re-seated. I was in business but willing to move to coach. I was told there were no empty seats. Wrote a letter to UA customer service twice and never heard back. Have not flown them since. And I am sure they could care less.
and they were unable to find someone in coach willing to swap seats with you? That shows a complete lack of trying on their behalf. They could have just asked the next person on the UG list.

Dogs have priority over passangers? The world has gone mad.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
If this happens to me, and I feel uncomfortable with a nippy dog positioned next to me, unrestrained, in ANY class of service, and the f/a shines me on, I'm walking off the plane. Before anyone goes down the path of what-if's, let me just say, I'M WALKING OFF THE PLANE-PERIOD! ... and I'll make a BIG DEAL of it with UAL, as I'm just not going to sit there and have a damn dog intimidate and ruin my flight via threats, while it's idiot owner strokes it!

UAL and their employees are not going to touch this matter, as every snitch in the world has their camera ready to narc em, especially for pet discrimination.

If the dog is next to me, NOT IN A CAGE, no matter how cute everyone thinks it is, either the dog moves, or I'm changing seats in my paid for cabin, or I am leaving!

... and I'm not downgrading for someones support animal.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 1:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Two Bee
If this happens to me, and I feel uncomfortable with a nippy dog positioned next to me, unrestrained, in ANY class of service, and the f/a shines me on, I'm walking off the plane. Before anyone goes down the path of what-if's, let me just say, I'M WALKING OFF THE PLANE-PERIOD! ... and I'll make a BIG DEAL of it with UAL, as I'm just not going to sit there and have a damn dog intimidate and ruin my flight via threats, while it's idiot owner strokes it!

UAL and their employees are not going to touch this matter, as every snitch in the world has their camera ready to narc em, especially for pet discrimination.

If the dog is next to me, NOT IN A CAGE, no matter how cute everyone thinks it is, either the dog moves, or I'm changing seats in my paid for cabin, or I am leaving!

... and I'm not downgrading for someones support animal.
And what if, as in the case I posted, you don't even know there's an animal on the flight until halfway through, it runs up and jumps on you or someone else?

Voluntarily deplaning is your prerogative, but it's more challenging at 33k feet.
coolbeans202, wrp96 and HomerJay like this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: -=- UA: GS + 3.9 Million Miler; Hilton: Diamond; Marriott: Gold; Hertz: President's Circle
from a couple of years ago. FA even stopped to pet the dog. It was brought on board by a lady who was wearing 3" heels. I think the only handicap she had was missing a few brain cells.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by canadiancow
And what if, as in the case I posted, you don't even know there's an animal on the flight until halfway through, it runs up and jumps on you or someone else?

Voluntarily deplaning is your prerogative, but it's more challenging at 33k feet.
this is where I shame the owner big time.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 2:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Try reporting the incident to DOT or FAA as this is a flight safety rule that your FAs apparently refused to enforce. That might get UA's attention.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by canadiancow

If D.B. Cooper managed, so can I!

I was talking about prior to the door being closed, btw!
cruisr likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Well, we know he didn't run up there for the food.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 4:01 pm

If airlines put a dog walking area on their aircraft incidents like this might not happen. Dogs need to get up and walk around on long flights just like other folks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.