Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Economy Plus for Companions if on separate PNR [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 23, 2018, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The elite benefit to guesting companions into E+ is clear IF on the same PNR
Silver - 1 companion at check-in
Gold - 1 companion at booking
Plat/1K/GS -- up to 8 companions at booking

What is the story if the companion(s) are not on the same PNR, so-called "off-PNR"?
There is no known published policy for this. It was there for pmUA but it disappeared after the merge and there were rumors it was gone.
Since then, elites have generally been able to get the same equivalent benefit even if the companions are not on the same PNR.
There are a few general requirements
-- The elite and companions need to on the same flight (this is essentially an absolute)
-- The elite and companions need to be in the same cabin at the time of the request (there has been some reported wiggly room on this but best to assume it is a hard requirement)
------ in the distant past, at one time, pmUA required the elite to be seated adjacent to the companions, that requirement disappeared years before the merger.
-- If a seat sweep occurs (due to an aircraft change and in some cases a schedule change) the companions may lose their E+ seats -- but the elite can call and get them re-assigned

Occasionally, an agent will claim this is not policy. Don't push it, as there is no written policy, but HUCA

Related threads Economy Plus for Companions: Now must be on same PNR -while this was first reported after the merger and turned out not to be true, it was likely pmCO agents or confusion do the lack of a published policy
Print Wikipost

Economy Plus for Companions if on separate PNR [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Update to the thread:

I called 1k line and first call agent happily put him in E+ without issue. We needed to subsequently change him from aisle to window which was done by a second agent just before check-in (we couldn't change his seat on the app without it asking for payment).

We could have upfaired him to W for gpu, but declined as plane is not full and "poor mans lie flat" is a high probability.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bballdad175
Update to the thread:

I called 1k line and first call agent happily put him in E+ without issue. We needed to subsequently change him from aisle to window which was done by a second agent just before check-in (we couldn't change his seat on the app without it asking for payment).

We could have upfaired him to W for gpu, but declined as plane is not full and "poor mans lie flat" is a high probability.
Interesting logic. He also misses out on the Polaris experience (food/wine/etc), the lounge, etc. As for poor man lie flat, as a 1K you know all too well how UA ruins those plans with standby customers.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Assume you were not traveling in this group.

Loss E+ seats will not automatically be processed until post-flight. If you/they are unsuccessful in getting reseated, then wait a few days. If no automatic refund, use the refund site ( www.united.com/refunds ) as suggested above.
I was on this flight, but on a separate reservation. I initially booked 8 of us using my E+, then pulled myself off of the reservation to upgrade. All was good until an equipment swap, which then required me to purchase the E+ seats. Call to customer service was not helpful- said once I was off the reservation any changes that resulted in them having to get back into E+ would be charged. Anywhoo....I was charged, and the equipments was swapped BACK to the original (it was non-Polairs, then Polaris, then non-Polaris).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 23, 2018 at 9:09 pm Reason: moved to exisiting thread
Old Aug 23, 2018, 12:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gold23
I was on this flight, but on a separate reservation. I initially booked 8 of us using my E+, then pulled myself off of the reservation to upgrade. All was good until an equipment swap, which then required me to purchase the E+ seats. Call to customer service was not helpful- said once I was off the reservation any changes that resulted in them having to get back into E+ would be charged. ....
Right outcome maybe the wrong reason. If you were upgraded / changed cabins, then you lose the ability to request E+ for others. The off-PNR rules for E+ guesting are not publicly published but the practice has long been it can be done but you need to be in E+ also. Seat sweeps are a problem with off-PNR E+ guesting.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Right outcome maybe the wrong reason. If you were upgraded / changed cabins, then you lose the ability to request E+ for others. The off-PNR rules for E+ guesting are not publicly published but the practice has long been it can be done but you need to be in E+ also. Seat sweeps are a problem with off-PNR E+ guesting.
I have only "guested" a small handful of times -- maybe half a dozen -- but greater than half I've been in a different cabin and had no problem as long as I'm on the same flight -- either from phone reservations or UC agents. Maybe they're just extending the courtesy because I'm nice but they've never said anything. In one case (a UC agent) they also moved my colleague (actually boss) to E+ on the other segment on his ticket ... I wasn't even traveling on the same day as that segment; that was clearly a courtesy .

[An agent at my home airport also 'guested'/op-up-ed my wife in to E+ when she was on her way to visit me when I wound up in a hospital on a business trip earlier this year -- neither of us asked for it, but she saw my wife without me and asked what was up -- that was clearly a courtesy and an example of "being nice pays off when you least expect it ]

I thought I remembered the rule being "on the same flight" (e.g. without regard to cabin or reservation) but the premier benefits chart (https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con.../default.aspx) only references the reservation. So is the entire guesting scheme a courtesy?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
So is the entire guesting scheme a courtesy?
Yes, it is. The stated benefit only applies to passengers on the same reservation.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 6:21 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by gold23
I was on this flight, but on a separate reservation. I initially booked 8 of us using my E+, then pulled myself off of the reservation to upgrade. All was good until an equipment swap, which then required me to purchase the E+ seats. Call to customer service was not helpful- said once I was off the reservation any changes that resulted in them having to get back into E+ would be charged. Anywhoo....I was charged, and the equipments was swapped BACK to the original (it was non-Polairs, then Polaris, then non-Polaris).
My issue, in the end, was not necessarily the charge for my "companions'" E+ seats, since I understood why I would be charged. It was that I was charged and then an equipment swap pushed them out of their seats and into E-. UA did refund that amount, btw, after I sent in a complaint.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 6:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes, it is. The stated benefit only applies to passengers on the same reservation.
Just because it is not published does not mean it's a courtesy. This has been so consistently granted, I believe that it is likely published internally. Otherwise results would be much more YMMV.

I just did this for 3 off-PNR colleagues last night btw.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Economy Plus Question:

If I am travelling, on a one way ticket, as a 1K member, ATL-SFO-RNO and a friend, who has no UA status, is travelling with me, but just ATL-SFO, can we both book and sit together in E+, without an extra payment? Thanks for replies.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 8:27 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
If I am travelling, on a one way ticket, as a 1K member, ATL-SFO-RNO and a friend, who has no UA status, is travelling with me, but just ATL-SFO, can we both book and sit together in E+, without an extra payment?
Yes.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Yes.
So do I make 2 separate bookings, then call UA to request E+ seat assignment for my friend?
Old Sep 23, 2018, 10:20 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
So do I make 2 separate bookings, then call UA to request E+ seat assignment for my friend?
Yes, exactly.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:36 am
RNE

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, exactly.
But does it stick?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by RNE
But does it stick?
It may get lost in a sweep, so it pays to keep on top of the reservations.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: Qantas Silver, MileagePlus Silver
Economy Plus Question:

If I am travelling, on a one way ticket, as a 1K member, ATL-SFO-RNO and a friend, who has no UA status, is travelling with me, but just ATL-SFO, can we both book and sit together in E+, without an extra payment? Thanks for replies.

I have the same situation as above, but only Premier Silver (Not 1K). Would I just wait until T-24 to call in and select my seat and my companions? They are on a separate PNR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.