UA flight bank expansion at IAD

Old Aug 21, 18, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Gymboree Global Services

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...n-dull-451313/

I canít remember if there was a ďfuture of DullesĒ thread here, I feel like there was, but canít find it.

Moving to 6 banks would be transformative for IAD and UA.
Old Aug 21, 18, 7:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by whlinder View Post
Hmm. Makes sense, I suppose; the linked article makes very good points. IAD is a far better connecting point that EWR due to ATC/congestion. But will the added banks mean more RJs to the southeast?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 23, 18 at 6:56 pm Reason: split post
Old Aug 21, 18, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Originally Posted by whlinder View Post
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/united-could-grow-flights-by-half-at-washington-dull-451313/

I canít remember if there was a ďfuture of DullesĒ thread here, I feel like there was, but canít find it.

Yeah:

Currently, the airline's facilities at the airport are only full during several of its four banks, with concourses C/D looking a bit like a ghost town outside those times.
But it's a total zoo during those banks, with narrow corridors and long walks. Terrible during boarding of the Euro-bank in early evening with multiple widebodies jammed into a few adjacent gates.
Old Aug 21, 18, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Gymboree Global Services
From the Flight Global link IAD's cost per enplanement is estimated at slightly below $17 in 2018.

I can see a scenario where United goes to 6 banks at Dulles and runs it through the existing infrastructure for a year or two, pushing the cost per enplanement down, and once UA confirms that the market is there for 6 banks a day and IAD can compete with PHL and CLT for connections, commit to a new midfield terminal.

Originally Posted by drewguy View Post
But it's a total zoo during those banks, with narrow corridors and long walks. Terrible during boarding of the Euro-bank in early evening with multiple widebodies jammed into a few adjacent gates.
Yes it is. Such a pain. Flying LH or other *A partners out of B is much more enjoyable.
Old Aug 23, 18, 8:34 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Aren't the people movers always running? I've never seen them not running, but I always fly between 7am and 12am so I can't speak to the other times.

I'm guessing the new banks will be around 10am and 2pm. Which is a damn shame, because I always like flying out of those times to avoid the super crowded 8-9am and 5-6pm banks. 10am and 2pm are the only times the airport is somewhat bearable with crowd sizes.
Old Aug 23, 18, 9:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Originally Posted by UAL250 View Post
Aren't the people movers always running? I've never seen them not running, but I always fly between 7am and 12am so I can't speak to the other times.

I'm guessing the new banks will be around 10am and 2pm. Which is a damn shame, because I always like flying out of those times to avoid the super crowded 8-9am and 5-6pm banks. 10am and 2pm are the only times the airport is somewhat bearable with crowd sizes.
Yes - Both the shuttle from A to D gates and to accommodate international arrivals.
Old Aug 23, 18, 4:29 pm

Can't post the link unfortunately but I just read an article that United is expanding their banks at Dulles from 4 to 6. Will this mostly suck away connecting flights from Newark? Im not sure where else they would pull planes from.
Old Aug 23, 18, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
I want to say they already started doing this. I remember reading earlier that when UA did its summer schedule shuffling, they started pulling away connections / flights from EWR and moved them to IAD.
Old Aug 23, 18, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA 2P, UC, Hertz 5*
I believe part of the reason is that the cost of enplanement per passenger was lower at IAD compared to EWR. Good for those of us who don't want to connect in EWR.
Old Aug 23, 18, 5:56 pm

I was just at Dulles today in between time banks and the airport was a ghost town. Hopefully the increase fixes the utilization issue