Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Help with figuring why I'm not on the upgrade list

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileageplus

Sorry if this has been posted before but need help and advice for my SO and myself. She is a million mile file with current Gold status. I am officially her companion with the million mile flyer status and also have Gold. She regularly books us on flights together and it seems every time we get to the gate, she is the first person on the upgrade list (Always gets her upgrade) but I don't even get on the upgrade list. Is there a process we need to follow to both get on the list? Or are we out of luck and she will continue to get upgraded and I will stay in coach?
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:19 pm

When she books flights for you, does she add your MP number to the reservation?
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

she tries, but it seems it gets removed during the process. System doesn't seem to want to give each of us MP on the booking, just her.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
And you're sure the name you ticket the reservation in is the same as on the MP account?
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by windhund
When she books flights for you, does she add your MP number to the reservation?
That's what I would verify as well. If you're Gold, then you should at least appear on the upgrade list, regardless of whether you're a companion of someone else with Gold on the same PNR, and regardless of you having Gold status as a lifetime's companion. If that's not happening, then something is wrong beyond the priority of the list. Also, does your name as it appears on the ticket exactly match how it appears on your MP account?

But there's another curious thing: you say " She is a million mile file with current Gold status ... every time we get to the gate, she is the first person on the upgrade list. (Always gets her upgrade)" If that's true, she would be the envy of every other Gold out there for her good fortune.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Steve M
That's what I would verify as well. If you're Gold, then you should at least appear on the upgrade list, regardless of whether you're a companion of someone else with Gold on the same PNR, and regardless of you having Gold status as a lifetime's companion. If that's not happening, then something is wrong beyond the priority of the list. Also, does your name as it appears on the ticket exactly match how it appears on your MP account?

But there's another curious thing: you say " She is a million mile file with current Gold status ... every time we get to the gate, she is the first person on the upgrade list. (Always gets her upgrade)" If that's true, she would be the envy of every other Gold out there for her good fortune.
So what is wierd if I log into my mileasgeplus account I can see all our flights for the year under that gold account, but I also don't get credit towards platinum or any miles for the flights? Is that normal.

Under upcoming it has my next two flights listed as well, So I assume the name is correct?

No idea how she does it but her last 6 flights she has been upgraded. Orlando both way, Vegas one way, Alabama both ways, Nashville both ways, and Chicago one way. Not sure if the Million Mile status bumps her above regular Gold members?

Also I did notice something weird. It might have to do with the name. On my mileageplus account It has my full name and the suffix at the end. However in United booking they put the damn JR attached to my last name. Is that causing issues? Should I drop the JR, or will that cause issues with my ID?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 22, 2018 at 2:29 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are these tickets booked on united's site or through a travel agency?
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
I also assume these are revenue tickets, not tickets booked with miles.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAX_Brasilia
I also assume these are revenue tickets, not tickets booked with miles.
It's always through United website, and some are miles and some are cash. For instance, our recent Vegas trip was cash through the United website... on this flight 10 people were on the upgrade list, all 10 including my SO were upgraded, I was left completely off.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This problem sounds similar to one that someone else posted a few months ago, but I am having trouble finding the posts / thread. The added, extra-confounding detail here is that you report your account summary lists 0 PQM/S/D credit for each flight, which I can't imagine any reason for. Have you not yet asked United to investigate?

edit add: just noted you also said you can't get your MP number in the booking and you might have a name mismatch. If that is the case, either enter JR at the end of your name when you book or submit a name change request for your account, and update your name to match correctly. I'm not sure if that would be the cause, as I don't know what the system does if the MP number doesn't match first name / last name.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 2:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by russellwd
It's always through United website, and some are miles and some are cash. ...
On the mileage flights, only the primary cardholder of Explorer, Club and PresPlus cards are eligible for upgrades. Companions are not eligible.

The name mismatch needs to correctedbut if the flights are showing in your account, then all is well.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
On the mileage flights, only the primary cardholder of Explorer, Club and PresPlus cards are eligible for upgrades. Companions are not eligible.

The name mismatch needs to correctedbut if the flights are showing in your account, then all is well.
I agree on the mileage flights, but the most recent one was with cash and the same thing.

What I want to figure out with the name is on the mileageplus account, they have a spot for a suffix, while when booking flights United lumps my suffix onto my last name after booking, not sure if that is causing issues or not.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
she is the first person on the upgrade list (Always gets her upgrade)
wait... this is the part that baffles me! As a gold, she always gets an upgrade? Wow!
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...Not sure if the Million Mile status bumps her above regular Gold members?...
It doesn't come into play.

"every time we get to the gate, she is the first person on the upgrade list" - by this I guess you mean "first on the list before you". It would almost be unbelievable if she was always at the top of all the upgrade lists with displaced F, GSs, 1Ks, and Plats ahead of Golds.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Aug 23, 2018 at 9:36 am
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's always through United website, and some are miles and some are cash. For instance, our recent Vegas trip was cash through the United website... on this flight 10 people were on the upgrade list, all 10 including my SO were upgraded, I was left completely off.
Did your frequent flyer number appear on the boarding pass? Was your status listed properly?

Note that if you are traveling on the same reservation as your SO, you should be eligible for an upgrade even without your MP# on the reservation, so something's definitely fishy.

As far as earning toward platinum -- yes, you should have PQDs and PQMs in your account from the flights you've taken. However, being MM Gold (or MM Gold companion) doesn't provide you with a leg up toward Platinum -- you'd need 75K PQM or 90 PQS, plus 9,000 PQD or a waiver, to reach Plat. So, if you're seeing zeroes for PQM/PQD, that indicates a problem, but if not, it just indicates that Plat is a lot of flying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.