Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrading to 1st class at airport after declining to be on gate list?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2018, 8:09 am
Original Poster

I am a Silver member so I can be put on the upgrade list for 1st class when I check in. I am wondering if I decline the option to be put on the upgrade list when I check in could I still ask at the airport at the gate if there is room?

The main reason I ask is because the person I'm traveling with isn't a Silver Member and so we'd get different reservation #'s which has always been a hassle to deal with in the past, especially if we don't even get a free upgrade. So if there is room in 1st class when we get to the airport are we allowed to ask for an upgrade there or is it an only online thing?
Old Aug 22, 2018, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Once you decline, you're done for.

Your dilemma is well-described (as are the solutions) in the "auto-splitting PNR" thread so won't belabor it here.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rebecca_b
The main reason I ask is because the person I'm traveling with isn't a Silver Member and so we'd get different reservation #'s which has always been a hassle to deal with in the past, especially if we don't even get a free upgrade. So if there is room in 1st class when we get to the airport are we allowed to ask for an upgrade there or is it an only online thing?
You can ask; the worst that can happen is that they say no. It's possible for the gate agents to put you both into first class, but it may not be obvious to them how to do it or why you should be eligible. They won't do it until they've already processed the existing list, though. So, you'd want to wait until they upgrade all of the passengers on the visible upgrade list, generally 30 minutes before departure; if there are still two seats available, you could ask then.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by aacharya
Once you decline, you're done for.
IME, there is a way to get back on, Ive had it done before, though it was a long time ago, probably a year or so after the merger. Not sure if it’s possible still. Had it done at DEN CS desk, and it seemed like a really difficult task. I think this was back in the day where when you opted not to split on the outbound, it wouldn’t ask on the return. It at least asks now (and I take advantage, as sometimes there is no point splitting the outbound since there’s no way it will clear, but it might on the return).

The OP will still have issues accomplishing this if it is even possible - first, I doubt many airport agents know how to remove the ‘do not upgrade’ flag, and second, they would still need to split the reservation to be added to the list, which it sounds like is the thing the OP wants to avoid.

Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Depending on where you are flying to and from, you probably don't need to worry about getting an upgrade! (You have four levels of premiers ahead of you.)
narvik likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
second, they would still need to split the reservation to be added to the list, which it sounds like is the thing the OP wants to avoid.
Correct. You'd need to find someone who would be willing to bypass the list and put the passengers directly into F. It's possible, and if the list is empty, it wouldn't even be against policy. But that doesn't mean that every agent will both know how to do it and be willing to do it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.