Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United likely will add Lie-flats on 737-10 ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LTPLT UA1P Hilton Dia Marriott Plat

I heard toady 737MAX-10 will be going to Europe with the new lie flat seats.
New routes coming from Boston to Europe.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by 764toHI
- In the interim, the earliest 757s may be replaced by 737 MAX 10s already on order and scheduled to be delivered in 2020. UA looking into outfitting some of these aircraft with flat bed seats.
A 737 with Polaris seating. That's pretty funny.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:30 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by mach92
Wait, what

Guess it is closer to Europe, and UA would certainly not be the first airline to fly MAX across the pond.

But yet one more hub city in Northeast Maybe just a focus city if all they have to do is feed narrowbody.

Ya, they do have 100 MAX-10 on order ....
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Skift: United likely will add Lie-flats on 737-10 ?

https://skift.com/2018/08/21/uniteds...-better-seats/

-New preferred seating behind economy plus
-Lie-flats on 737-10
-Possible changes to basic economy, but unclear

Moderator Note -- as we already have threads on the corporate preferred seating, New Corporate Preferred (upgrade tiebreaker) / new 'preferred' seating section
and
Basic Economy - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...cussion-q.html

let's focus this thread on lie-flats for the 737-10

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 21, 2018 at 3:04 pm
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
The thread subject (blocking unless upcharge paid for regular Y seats, like AA does) was extensively discussed here: New Corporate Preferred (upgrade tiebreaker) / new 'preferred' seating section

I have not head re lie-flats on 737-10s though, perhaps that is new. If so ^ if they actually do it.
mdtakamine likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:56 pm

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...ax-10s-451309/
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by mach92
Source? Mentioned that the 737 MAX 10 would likely takeover PS flying and that the company is shopping for a new flatbed seat for the aircraft. Also mentioned PS style service could coming to additional markets specifically EWR-SEA as well as DC-West Coast. Made no mention of launching BOS-Europe.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
So I will end this year with about 860,000 BIS miles. I am retired and am planning on flying less in coming years so I have to wonder about my options. Do I do a mega mileage run or runs in 2019 to make 1MM and life time Gold or do I just buy two E+ subscriptions going into 2020 or do I just switch to B6 and deal with going to JFK rather than EWR......or maybe sell my home in NJ and move to LAS full time... Thanks Scott Kirby, thanks for thinking so much of your once loyal customers.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
They have a ton of MAX 10s on order. UA could be a market leader and really scale up their premium TCON game if they can get a staggered 1-1 Polaris seating on these birds and add more TCON routes beyond their current offerings...hopefully they are thinking about it!
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Source? Mentioned that the 737 MAX 10 would likely takeover PS flying and that the company is shopping for a new flatbed seat for the aircraft. Also mentioned PS style service could coming to additional markets specifically EWR-SEA as well as DC-West Coast. Made no mention of launching BOS-Europe.
I hope they can figure out a staggered all-aisle seating. That would be great...I guess the current Polaris seat design is too big?

As for EWR-SEA, I have to imagine that UA has their fingers crossed for Newark landing Amazon’s HQ2 bid.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:28 pm

Great quote

“Trying to fly from Denver to LA, I think you would have a hard time making the economics of lie-flat work,” he said. “But would Newark to Seattle work? Probably. Would San Francisco to DC work? Probably. We think there is demand, but it’s almost exclusively transcon demand.”

The flip is - these will prob have around a third to half fewer seats up front - but hey they're listening and experimenting - and I guess BOS-SFO is getting enough traction to warrant looking at more.

737-10 lie flat subfleet is a lot more compelling subject line for this thread!
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Great quote

“Trying to fly from Denver to LA, I think you would have a hard time making the economics of lie-flat work,” he said. “But would Newark to Seattle work? Probably. Would San Francisco to DC work? Probably. We think there is demand, but it’s almost exclusively transcon demand.”

The flip is - these will prob have around a third to half fewer seats up front - but hey they're listening and experimenting.

Not just the economics...do you really need a lie-flat for a 2-hour flight? It’s nice when you get one of those pop up on EWR-ORD, as an example, but it’s not a ‘must-have’.

Kirby makes me wonder - he says things like this that make a lot of sense and show that UA is at least contemplating being a market leader, and then he does some really dumb, boneheaded things.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer

Agreed, I just went with the article title. Maybe mods can edit?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:45 pm

The article also notes that they plan to start testing the new lie-flat seat for the MAX 10 with customers this fall.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
They have a ton of MAX 10s on order. UA could be a market leader and really scale up their premium TCON game if they can get a staggered 1-1 Polaris seating on these birds and add more TCON routes beyond their current offerings...hopefully they are thinking about it!
I look forward to some TATLs on the the Max10!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.