FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Earning UA mileage credit for Air NZ flights (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1926464-earning-ua-mileage-credit-air-nz-flights.html)

Carl235 Aug 22, 2015 9:46 am

UA Miles for Virgin Australia flight on Air New Zealand Metal?

Newbie here and I have found a ton of great info on this forum. I am looking at an itinerary that includes a flight from CHC to SYD on Virgin Australia flight (VA7402 code share) on Air New Zealand metal. Given that ANZ is Star Alliance, can I get United PQM and/or Award Miles for this flight? Thanks in advance.

mduell Aug 22, 2015 9:54 am

Yes, UA MP (and *A in general) earning is always by operating carrier.

mahasamatman Aug 22, 2015 10:04 am

Welcome to FT, Carl235!

Originally Posted by Carl235 (Post 25310725)
Given that ANZ is Star Alliance, can I get United PQM and/or Award Miles for this flight?

Yes. Mileage earning is based on operating carrier, so the fact that there's a VA flight number is irrelevant as long as it's operated by NZ. (I think mduell misread the question.)

transportprof Aug 22, 2015 10:15 am

It's actually more complicated....

Although you could be eligible to earn miles basd on NZ being the operating carrier, whether you will earn miles, or not, depends on the fare class that your ticket is flown in. There is a list of eligible fare classes here:

http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mark...spx?ItemId=379

Note that there are different eligibility for domestic, trans-Tasman, and International trips. Also note that the fare class you purchase through VA may map into a different fare class on NZ.

You'll have to call into NZ to find the actual fare class you'll be flying - if you want to know in advance (if, for example, you have other mileage options with VA or SQ that you might credit a fare class that would not get credit from UA). Or you can just take your chances and put in for mileage credit after your trip - as long as you don't get the flight credited to another program, which would mean not putting in any other mileage program number on that leg of the trip.

mduell Aug 22, 2015 10:36 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 25310778)
(I think mduell misread the question.)

Thanks, fixed.

Carl235 Aug 22, 2015 10:52 am

Thanks to everyone for the quick and helpful replies.

zebranz Aug 22, 2015 11:56 am

Most of my NZ flights across the ditch do not earn miles due to fare class while the intra-NZ flights (i.e. CHC-ZQN) do. If you need the miles, be careful when booking. If you are booking for $$ and "wish" for miles, I hope you do better than me.

Many times 2- one way flights are less than the r/t quote.

transportprof Aug 22, 2015 11:56 am

Originally Posted by Carl235 (Post 25310944)
Thanks to everyone for the quick and helpful replies.

Let us know how it works out. That way we can build the knowledge base for people following in your footsteps.

captain_starwood Oct 18, 2016 11:21 pm

So, I bought a ticket through NZ that is operated by Virgin.

United just told me that I won't get PQM's from this. NZ ticketing system did let me put UA number in, which makes no sense.

The operating carrier is the key component here?

WineCountryUA Oct 18, 2016 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by captain_starwood (Post 27364874)
So, I bought a ticket through NZ that is operated by Virgin.

United just told me that I won't get PQM's from this. NZ ticketing system did let me put UA number in, which makes no sense. ...

No restrictions on what you put as your program. Using your MP account just willn't do anything useful in this case.

Originally Posted by captain_starwood (Post 27364874)
... The operating carrier is the key component here?

correct, and the Virgin operated flight will earn nothing if credited to UA MP.

FlyfromDenver Apr 23, 2017 7:57 am

If I book flights to and from Auckland on the United website on Air New Zealand, will I get PQM for a business ticket ? How about if I book it on the AZ site ? (this is for Dec 17/ Jan 18)

Thanks

WineCountryUA Apr 23, 2017 11:03 am

Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver (Post 28218376)
Most of this thread is fairly old. If I book flights to and from Auckland on the United website on Air New Zealand, will I get PQM for a business ticket ? How about if I book it on the AZ site ? (this is for Dec 17/ Jan 18)

Thanks

In the Star Alliance system, PQM earning is independent of ticket stock (or booking on UA vs partner site). PQM earning and rates are based on the flight operator. Use this link to see UA MP earning for NZ operated flights.

Austin787 Apr 23, 2017 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver (Post 28218376)
Most of this thread is fairly old. If I book flights to and from Auckland on the United website on Air New Zealand, will I get PQM for a business ticket ? How about if I book it on the AZ site ? (this is for Dec 17/ Jan 18)

Thanks

Check the fare codes carefully. As PQM is determined by the operating carrier Air New Zealand's rates would apply. If booking through United website make sure the code is a ANZ business code - that would be J,Z,D, or C. United sometimes books ANZ codeshare flights into P which United uses for business but ANZ uses for economy.

FlyfromDenver Apr 23, 2017 5:24 pm

Thank you both !

findark Apr 23, 2017 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by Austin787 (Post 28220020)
Check the fare codes carefully. As PQM is determined by the operating carrier Air New Zealand's rates would apply. If booking through United website make sure the code is a ANZ business code - that would be J,Z,D, or C. United sometimes books ANZ codeshare flights into P which United uses for business but ANZ uses for economy.

This is a little misleading. For a United marketed, Air New Zealand operated flight, you will earn according to the NZ metal earning chart for the translated booking code, and not the one shown on your receipt. There is no easy, public way I am aware of to perform this translation (you can see a mapping with a paid service like EF).

Since the JV, however, it's actually really easy. All Economy fares will earn 100%, and all Business fares will earn 200%. The only complicated one is which "full fare" tickets will earn 300% and I actually think it's an eclectic mix of J and C fares, but the determining factor is "if I price this fare component on NZ/NZ, what inventory does it use?".

The small print:

[2] The award miles accrued on codeshare flights are based on the operating carrier and their equivalent fare class. This could result in differences between the purchased booking class and the booking class flown, which determines the number of base and Premier qualifying miles and Premier qualifying segments earned.