Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Interim 77x seatmaps with Polaris seats & potentially Premium Economy (2018-19))

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

This seatmap is being used for all flights will an sUA 777-200ER scheduled. It is being used to guard against equipment swaps into one of the three possible seating configurations: legacy sUA 3-class (8F/40J and 3-3-3 in Y), 2-class Polaris (50J and 3-4-3Y), and 3-class Polaris/PE (50J/24W and 3-4-3 Y). The actual seatmap for the aircraft assigned to your flight will become available when the flight is added to the normal Flight Status display, approximately 60 hours before departure (usually overnight).

Blocks in Economy are at all 'F' seats, plus 20CH, 21BJ, 22BJ, and 35ABCDE (the last for accommodation). The blocks are designed so that, regardless of which equipment flies, no one will be moved or scrambled when the seatmap updates. Instead, some seats will unblock and some blocked seats may be deleted based on the real configuration, and then some rows may be added. This process is similar to that for the 757-300, 737-900, and other frames with uncertain configurations.

Some danger remains if there are more equipment swaps after the initial frame assignment, and the change from F/J to Polaris in the forward cabins is not a well-defined mapping.

Premium Economy, if on the plane used, would be Rows 20-22, Seats AB[ ]DEFG[ ]KL

Similarly, as Premium Plus is added to the existing Polaris 773s, Rows 19/20/21 seats B & K are not shown, to accommodate potential swaps between PP & non-PP equipped aircraft.

It is speculated that once PP is offered as a true separate cabin. UA will focus the PP equipped aircraft on a few selected routes to minimize the swap risk.
Print Wikipost

Interim 77x seatmaps with Polaris seats & potentially Premium Economy (2018-19))

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2019, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Several times.
So is the consensus to pick rows 20 and 21 since row 19 will be missing come closer to departure?
Old Feb 24, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Skyteam Elite Plus (KE Morning Calm Premium)
Originally Posted by poohhead80
UA888 Feb 23 SFO-PEK
Seat map changed two times in less than 24hr (I suspect Aircraft swap)
My original seat selection was 19L
It became 20B on PE setting
Now it became 24E (Bulkhead Middle!!) on Non PE 777-300ER setting.
It changed again to PE 777-300 a day before the departure.
Originally on this plane. However, my domestic flight got delayed and rerouted to UA807 IAD-PEK.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by myperks
So is the consensus to pick rows 20 and 21 since row 19 will be missing come closer to departure?
That's what I do. Then Watchitlikeahawk.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
That's what I do. Then Watchitlikeahawk.
thanks. It switched at 48 hours. Thanks to your “watchitlikeahawk”, was able to get two aisle seats instead of window and aisle together when the computer pushed my premier gold relatives back to like the thirties. Hopefully they don’t do this to a 1K.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 5:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
You need to continue to watch your seats when originating from a HUB airport right up to and including 2-3 hours before departure due to last minute aircraft swaps. On 02/22 SFO-NRT, I was flying an inbound flight to SFO and about 3 hours before my actual SFO-NRT departure, they switched the aircraft from a new PE aircraft to back a non-PE aircraft. Luckily I was refreshing the UA mobile app every half hour or so during the flight, or we would have been knocked back to some non-desirable seats. I was able to switch mid-flight.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
I am watching my flight next week. It does seem like they firm up the seat map about 48 hours before (subject of course to other swaps later) - but it has consistently gone out with new config last 2 weeks.

We are in 20A/B on same PNR - so hopefully they will leave this 1K alone....
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by myperks

thanks. It switched at 48 hours. Thanks to your “watchitlikeahawk”, was able to get two aisle seats instead of window and aisle together when the computer pushed my premier gold relatives back to like the thirties. Hopefully they don’t do this to a 1K.
They did it to me and I am 1K. Hence watchitlikeahawk.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Polaris 772 on ORD-HKG Sunday March 3?

Anyone know why UA has a Polaris plane on the ORD-HKG route this Sunday (March 3)?
It just seems to be THAT day.

Old Mar 1, 2019, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TomA
Anyone know why UA has a Polaris plane on the ORD-HKG route this Sunday (March 3)?
It just seems to be THAT day.
Because they're in the middle of retrofitting the fleet, but they don't start to firm up aircraft assignments until about 3 days prior to the flight. So, they use an interim (non-Polaris) seat map until that happens.

It could still change back to the older config.
rmadisonwi likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
But the seat maps for other days are still the old one.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: All the programs!
Because not all of the fleet has been retrofitted.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Actual aircraft are only scheduled a few days out. Unless they have dedicated aircraft on certain routes, like with upcoming launch of Premium Plus, the retrofitted aircraft will only show up only a few days before. And even then, it carries the risk of being swapped to a non-retrofitted plane.
TomA likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Currently ABOUT 50% (a little more) of the sUA 772s have been converted from the old IPTE layout to the Polaris Layout. As mentioned above, United doesn't know which particular layout will be on which flight ahead of time. Aircraft aren't assigned to a specific flight until about 72 hours before the flight, and there can even be a swap after that. The rule of thumb is you won't know with 100% certainty what type of aircraft you will be on until you actually board.

UA decided to display the old IPTE layout as a placeholder until they know which aircraft they will be using for that flight. While we don't know for sure, it is probable that UA prefers to delight people who are not expecting a Polaris layout with a Polaris layout, rather than have people expect a Polaris layout and then have a bunch of disappointed people when the Polaris layout gets "yanked" for the old layout when an aircraft is assigned.

This also applies to routes that use the sCO (ex-Contonental) 772 and all of the 763s. United is at a tough point for guaranteeing seat assignments on its wide-body fleet. You are only safe on a 777-300 (77W) or any of the 787s, where there is only one layout for all aircraft of each type. United's goal is the have 100% consistency among similar aircraft when the retrofit process is complete, with a goal of the end of 2020.
TomA and narvik like this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
For past days that's what was flown. For the future they don't know. For Mar 3 is seems they currently plan to have a Polaris version fly.

The practice has been to use a modified version of the IPTE 772 seat map with 3-4-3 economy seating but seats blanked out, and then switch to the fully correct map (either old 772 or P772) at around T-72 to T-48. So you're seeing either confirmed planes using actual seatmaps or the placeholder for future dates.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 3:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Ua does not use the same specific aircraft on a given route -- for various reasons, specific aircraft could be on multiple different routes over a given time period.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.