Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Interim 77x seatmaps with Polaris seats & potentially Premium Economy (2018-19))

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

This seatmap is being used for all flights will an sUA 777-200ER scheduled. It is being used to guard against equipment swaps into one of the three possible seating configurations: legacy sUA 3-class (8F/40J and 3-3-3 in Y), 2-class Polaris (50J and 3-4-3Y), and 3-class Polaris/PE (50J/24W and 3-4-3 Y). The actual seatmap for the aircraft assigned to your flight will become available when the flight is added to the normal Flight Status display, approximately 60 hours before departure (usually overnight).

Blocks in Economy are at all 'F' seats, plus 20CH, 21BJ, 22BJ, and 35ABCDE (the last for accommodation). The blocks are designed so that, regardless of which equipment flies, no one will be moved or scrambled when the seatmap updates. Instead, some seats will unblock and some blocked seats may be deleted based on the real configuration, and then some rows may be added. This process is similar to that for the 757-300, 737-900, and other frames with uncertain configurations.

Some danger remains if there are more equipment swaps after the initial frame assignment, and the change from F/J to Polaris in the forward cabins is not a well-defined mapping.

Premium Economy, if on the plane used, would be Rows 20-22, Seats AB[ ]DEFG[ ]KL

Similarly, as Premium Plus is added to the existing Polaris 773s, Rows 19/20/21 seats B & K are not shown, to accommodate potential swaps between PP & non-PP equipped aircraft.

It is speculated that once PP is offered as a true separate cabin. UA will focus the PP equipped aircraft on a few selected routes to minimize the swap risk.
Print Wikipost

Interim 77x seatmaps with Polaris seats & potentially Premium Economy (2018-19))

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2018, 9:19 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Flight into HKG yesterday was configured with PE and showing PE for 20-22 out to SFO today. With 2 hours before flight time I'm hoping it holds and is true.

No one yet has indicated they'd actually flown the config....
Are you in a PE seat? I think that UA_Flyer was flying in Polaris a few months ago and went to look at those PE seats. I had asked then if the bulkhead seats in row 20 were better than the seats in Row 21 or 22. Let us know if you were in the bulkhead seats and what were your impressions.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM *G
Flight into HKG yesterday was configured with PE and showing PE for 20-22 out to SFO today. With 2 hours before flight time I'm hoping it holds and is true.

No one yet has indicated they'd actually flown the config....
I am watching aircraft N2136U myself (77W with PE). Will be on the HKG-SFO flight this Friday and will report my experience if PE happens.

Seat map went from a 777-300 to 777-200, but has not updated the PE configuration. Same plane being used for Wed's SFO-HKG.

Anyone know if seat assignments stay intact if the same seats exist on the new configuration with the PE change? For example, will those in 20-22AB and 20-22JK keep the seats assignments in PE? And where are those in Row 19 and 20-22C,H reassigned to.

Last edited by SF_DUKE; Oct 30, 2018 at 1:36 pm Reason: Update
Old Oct 30, 2018, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by SF_DUKE

I am watching aircraft N2136U myself (77W with PE). Will be on the HKG-SFO flight this Friday and will report my experience if PE happens.

Seat map went from a 777-300 to 777-200, but has not updated the PE configuration. Same plane being used for Wed's SFO-HKG.

Anyone know if seat assignments stay intact if the same seats exist on the new configuration with the PE change? For example, will those in 20-22AB and 20-22JK keep the seats assignments in PE? And where are those in Row 19 and 20-22C,H reassigned to.

The Wednesday SFO-HKG clearly shows the PE configuration: 2-4-2.

I don't know how the computer works in reassigning seats as sometimes it gives me the weirdest changes when changing plane type. I would suspect that passengers in a seat that exist in both planes would keep the same seats. Row 19 will most probably get reassigned somewhere else in E+ as will the passengers in 20-22 C, J.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Oct 30, 2018 at 1:53 pm
Old Oct 30, 2018, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
The Wednesday SFO-HKG clearly shows the PE configuration: 2-4-2.

I don't know how the computer works in reassigning seats as sometimes it gives me the weirdest changes when changing plane type. I would suspect that passengers in a seat that exist in both planes would keep the same seats. Row 19 will most probably get reassigned somewhere else in E+ as will the passengers in 20-22 C, H.
The purpose of the interim seatmap is to keep as many people as possible in the same seat assignments regardless of the actual configuration flown.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan

The purpose of the interim seatmap is to keep as many people as possible in the same seat assignments regardless of the actual configuration flown.
I guess I got confused because the Friday map for HKG-SFO was still showing as a 777-300ER.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Oct 30, 2018 at 2:32 pm
Old Oct 30, 2018, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess I got confused because the Friday map for HKG-SFO was still showing as a 777-300ER.
Sorry, I think I’m the one who’s confused. Too many conversions going on at once.

While UA could (and arguably should) put the 77W/PE seat map on all 77W flights, AFAIK, they haven’t done that. So, you’re right; people who selected the 77W/non-PE seats that don’t exist in the 77W/PE configuration are likely to get moved around randomly.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Are you in a PE seat? I think that UA_Flyer was flying in Polaris a few months ago and went to look at those PE seats. I had asked then if the bulkhead seats in row 20 were better than the seats in Row 21 or 22. Let us know if you were in the bulkhead seats and what were your impressions.
Yes, I was in the PE seat HKG-SFO Oct 30. Row 20 has excellent leg room and the pullout screen has superb clarity and I think full size in relation to the seat back screens in row 21 and 22.. If you're tall, and value legroom, then the footrest is at best useless; it extends upward and outward minimally. The tray table is spring activated and smooth. When the tray is out of the armrest but not flipped fully open/extended there is an odd flap, perhaps 6" x 4", that opens forward and I've no idea what use it is - it flips over more than 270 degrees from what is the underside of a fully extended table. Under the other armrest is a modicum of storage space (Bose headphone case cannot fit standing up but can on it's side taking up the entire area) as well as the headphone jack and electrical socket. The storage area has some depth to it but minimal width; it's covered by a car that rotates open. In between the seats forward of the storage area is a small space for 1 drink. Not 1 per pax, just 1. The seat has good recline, is wide and comfortable.

The bulkhead all the way across offers ease of access for all seats. I don't know how easy it is for interior seats, or the windows, to exit without the aisle needing to get out of their seat in rows 21 and 22.

Just put this together quickly after a jetlagged nap (3 TPACs in 5 days) and haven't really proofread it. I have some pics I'll attach later if I remember but I'll be back on a plane in the morning (potentially in another PE seat) so any responses could be delayed.

First impressions are quite good overall.
cesco.g, SF_DUKE, drewguy and 4 others like this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As of now OCT 31 SFO-HKG and ORD-HKG showing PE configuration though the latter is strange with no ABC or JKL in row 30.

I'll attempt to get pics to cover a fuller write up after today's flight.

Edit: Nevermind, the first a/c is a 77W while the the ORD flight is a 777.

Last edited by dsquared37; Oct 31, 2018 at 11:10 am
Old Oct 31, 2018, 11:55 am

Update - The computer reassigned my seats out of PE even though my seat number existed. Called CS and the PE seats are blocked out for assignment. Appears the computer reassigned GS and 1Ks to Rows 20-22 and bumped Plats and lower out of the section. Any open PE assignments are under airport gate control.

Summary - No PE experience if you are a Plat and hold original seating in the mini-cabin. Was looking forward to trying the new hard product and disappointed they are treating PE only to GS and 1Ks.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Ouch, how long was the upgrade list on this flight?

Summary - No PE experience if you are a Plat and hold original seating in the mini-cabin. Was looking forward to trying the new hard product and disappointed they are treating PE only to GS and 1Ks.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by 764toHI
Ouch, how long was the upgrade list on this flight?
HKG-SFO flight is this Fri and there are 17 on the upgrade list with J6 right now. Looks like no J or PE for this lowly Plat. Not feeling any love from UA on this trip.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Boo! That may be new. A couple of weeks ago a PE 772 was swapped in and I was reassigned to a PE seat from my E+ seat (I'm plat). It was a middle, but was able to swap it after some other folks seemed to have moved seats. Then the plane got switched back to an old style 772.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm only Plat. Until mid-Nov at least.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 12:51 pm

I'm only Plat. Until mid-Nov at least.
Maybe my experience is a one-off. Either way, no one seems to be able to help. Tried CS supervisors and even the UA HKG support desk.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe my experience is a one-off. Either way, no one seems to be able to help. Tried CS supervisors and even the UA HKG support desk.
True, the actual rationale is irrelevant and IMHO not related to status but perhaps a chance occurrence for which you're getting MOLA'd. Regardless, it sucks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.