Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Interim 77x seatmaps with Polaris seats & potentially Premium Economy (2018-19))

Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

This seatmap is being used for all flights will an sUA 777-200ER scheduled. It is being used to guard against equipment swaps into one of the three possible seating configurations: legacy sUA 3-class (8F/40J and 3-3-3 in Y), 2-class Polaris (50J and 3-4-3Y), and 3-class Polaris/PE (50J/24W and 3-4-3 Y). The actual seatmap for the aircraft assigned to your flight will become available when the flight is added to the normal Flight Status display, approximately 60 hours before departure (usually overnight).

Blocks in Economy are at all 'F' seats, plus 20CH, 21BJ, 22BJ, and 35ABCDE (the last for accommodation). The blocks are designed so that, regardless of which equipment flies, no one will be moved or scrambled when the seatmap updates. Instead, some seats will unblock and some blocked seats may be deleted based on the real configuration, and then some rows may be added. This process is similar to that for the 757-300, 737-900, and other frames with uncertain configurations.

Some danger remains if there are more equipment swaps after the initial frame assignment, and the change from F/J to Polaris in the forward cabins is not a well-defined mapping.

Premium Economy, if on the plane used, would be Rows 20-22, Seats AB[ ]DEFG[ ]KL

Similarly, as Premium Plus is added to the existing Polaris 773s, Rows 19/20/21 seats B & K are not shown, to accommodate potential swaps between PP & non-PP equipped aircraft.

It is speculated that once PP is offered as a true separate cabin. UA will focus the PP equipped aircraft on a few selected routes to minimize the swap risk.
Print Wikipost

Interim 77x seatmaps with Polaris seats & potentially Premium Economy (2018-19))

Old Oct 9, 2018, 9:38 pm

Programs: united
Cool 2 seats on rows 20-22 on a 777-200

Hey everyone,
I've got a flight from SFO-LON on a 777-200. Within Economy Plus, row 20 has on each side of the plane a middle and a window seat, but rows 21 and 22 on each side, show a window and and an aisle, with no middle seat. I can't find that layout on seat guru. Has anyone seen that? Wondering what's going on and if the seats are good. My hope is to sit in a window seat, take a sleeping pill, lean against the wall and wake up in London!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 9, 2018 at 9:50 pm Reason: merged into existing thread
Old Oct 9, 2018, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Maybe thats the layout for the retrofitted planes with premium economy?
Old Oct 9, 2018, 9:52 pm

I don't think it's retrofitted, because the front isn't polaris. I'd post a picture, but I'm new on here, and need more posts before it'll let me...
Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by alixandra
I don't think it's retrofitted, because the front isn't polaris. I'd post a picture, but I'm new on here, and need more posts before it'll let me...
The interim seat map will show the older orange 2-4-2 config and the blocked middle seats for Rows 20-22 of economy. See the example in the wiki.You will not know which aircraft is used until you board (although you will get hints about 2 days before).
Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:22 pm

It's showing a 3-3-3 configuration in economy, and only missing seats for the first 3 rows of economy plus. It's that for for 20, it's missing the aisles, but for 20 and 21, missing the middle. Are those good seats to have to sleep against?
Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:25 pm

Sorry, where in the wiki? I only see airline programs.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by alixandra
Sorry, where in the wiki? I only see airline programs.
Scroll to the top of this thread. Each thread has a top post which is called the thread's wiki.

Look for "Click here to display Full Wiki"

direct link
Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
So for my flight on a 777-200 the seatmap has now changed to the "old" version and rows 20 now show 2 seats correctly, instead of showing 3 seats as it had been, with B and J showing as aisle seats and not middle seats. I had been tracking it for changes and this is the only change I have noticed. I will still watch it just in case.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
So for my flight on a 777-200 the seatmap has now changed to the "old" version and rows 20 now show 2 seats correctly, instead of showing 3 seats as it had been, with B and J showing as aisle seats and not middle seats. I had been tracking it for changes and this is the only change I have noticed. I will still watch it just in case.
Assuming you're only a couple days out that's normal. Just happened to me for a Friday flight. Equipment could still swap of course . . .
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
772 - 2- 4-2 seating economy?

Hey Flyertalk,

Haven't seen this before. Flying ORD-PEK monday (yay), in coach (yay). Just got notified of a plane substitution and I'm in seat 22A, a 2-4-2 economy row? Figured this would be economy plus, but usually they are 3-3-3 or 3-4-3.... any idea what this is?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 13, 2018 at 1:27 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 1:27 pm

Sounds like a PE equipped bird. If so congrats, you'll have a much nicer seat assuming no other swaps occur.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by steveo
.... Just got notified of a plane substitution and I'm in seat 22A, a 2-4-2 economy row? ...
You have won the lotto -- Premium Economy may be in your future
ajGoes likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Hey Flyertalk,

Haven't seen this before. Flying ORD-PEK monday (yay), in coach (yay). Just got notified of a plane substitution and I'm in seat 22A, a 2-4-2 economy row? Figured this would be economy plus, but usually they are 3-3-3 or 3-4-3.... any idea what this is?
congrats! Do not forget to buy a lotto ticket today.😀
Old Oct 13, 2018, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Yellowjj
Sounds like a PE equipped bird. If so congrats, you'll have a much nicer seat assuming no other swaps occur.
if no other swaps … got swapped into this config at T-24. At T-7 back to the old style. Made a mess of seating assignments …
Old Oct 13, 2018, 10:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Hey Flyertalk,

Originally Posted by Kmxu

congrats! Do not forget to buy a lotto ticket today.😀
Originally Posted by drewguy

if no other swaps … got swapped into this config at T-24. At T-7 back to the old style. Made a mess of seating assignments …
SteveO - don’t ask drewguy for those lotto numbers.

But if doomed to Y, old config is like winning a door prize. New 772s and 77w are horrible.
Silver Fox and jjmoore like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.