Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Interim 77x seatmaps with Polaris seats & potentially Premium Economy (2018-19))

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

This seatmap is being used for all flights will an sUA 777-200ER scheduled. It is being used to guard against equipment swaps into one of the three possible seating configurations: legacy sUA 3-class (8F/40J and 3-3-3 in Y), 2-class Polaris (50J and 3-4-3Y), and 3-class Polaris/PE (50J/24W and 3-4-3 Y). The actual seatmap for the aircraft assigned to your flight will become available when the flight is added to the normal Flight Status display, approximately 60 hours before departure (usually overnight).

Blocks in Economy are at all 'F' seats, plus 20CH, 21BJ, 22BJ, and 35ABCDE (the last for accommodation). The blocks are designed so that, regardless of which equipment flies, no one will be moved or scrambled when the seatmap updates. Instead, some seats will unblock and some blocked seats may be deleted based on the real configuration, and then some rows may be added. This process is similar to that for the 757-300, 737-900, and other frames with uncertain configurations.

Some danger remains if there are more equipment swaps after the initial frame assignment, and the change from F/J to Polaris in the forward cabins is not a well-defined mapping.

Premium Economy, if on the plane used, would be Rows 20-22, Seats AB[ ]DEFG[ ]KL

Similarly, as Premium Plus is added to the existing Polaris 773s, Rows 19/20/21 seats B & K are not shown, to accommodate potential swaps between PP & non-PP equipped aircraft.

It is speculated that once PP is offered as a true separate cabin. UA will focus the PP equipped aircraft on a few selected routes to minimize the swap risk.
Print Wikipost

Interim 77x seatmaps with Polaris seats & potentially Premium Economy (2018-19))

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2019, 9:30 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by TomA
But the seat maps for other days are still the old one.
I've been watching this route for a while now. In general, about 50% of the flights are going to a true Polaris configuration within 48 hours of departure or so.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mechteach
I've been watching this route for a while now. In general, about 50% of the flights are going to a true Polaris configuration within 48 hours of departure or so.
As would be expected when about 50% of the fleet has been reconfigured!
mechteach likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 1:07 am

Programs: UA
If I have paid for E+ and 20A for ORD-PEK using the old 772 seatmap and they swap it out for a polaris configured 777 does that mean I get bumped to the 20A PE+ seat or will they put me back in with the rest of the E+ seats for that configuration?
Old Mar 2, 2019, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by vaguba
If I have paid for E+ and 20A for ORD-PEK using the old 772 seatmap and they swap it out for a polaris configured 777 does that mean I get bumped to the 20A PE+ seat or will they put me back in with the rest of the E+ seats for that configuration?
Maybe, maybe not. You have to watchitlikeahawk and react accordingly right up until you leave for the airport. Sometimes when I have been in "old" 20, I have been put in "new" 20, other times I have been put in "new" 32. It's a bit of a lottery as to how the seat reassignment works. The only guarantee is that there is no guarantee.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From what I've seen when the seat map goes from interim to actual, seats are generally preserved, but if it later goes from one configuration to the other, everything can be scrambled.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 5:52 am
GeP

Originally Posted by fumje
As would be expected when about 50% of the fleet has been reconfigured!
Actually, not. Or rather: only if United does not take the competitive situation in different markets into account.

It would make perfect sense to focus Polaris planes on routes where there is strong competition from other US or international carriers.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:23 pm

Programs: united
What the heck is this seat map?

My Mom, sister and I are flying ORD-CDG on either 4/29 or 4/30. Currently that route goes out on a 767-3, however starting on 4/29 the seat maps look like this. What the heck am I going to be flying on and where should we sit (my uncle is giving us GPU's so we can upgrade)?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 2, 2019 at 9:03 pm Reason: moved to consolidated thread
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Based on UA's website (I don't see an image in your post), that is the long-derided sUA 772 with 2-4-2 seating in the back. I would sit in one of the sections on the side...don't get stuck in the middle.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Because United is currently retrofitting many planes with new interiors including seats, they have a special seat-map in place that they use that allows a seat-map that sort of works no matter what plane they actually use.
It may be that you fly on an older version or a newer version. That normally doesn't get decided until a day or even a few hours before take-off.
Here's a link to the current discussion: Interim 77x seatmaps with Polaris seats & potentially Premium Economy (2018-19))

By the way, that flight is currently PZ=9, which means your GPU upgrades will clear at booking. I'd suggest not to wait too long.
Three persons together on that plane is tough. You could book 7C, 7D and 7H and hope no one will sit in 7G. Keep in mind that the plane may swap out, so you will need to check your reservation constantly. It may possibly change to this: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...seats-77j.html

There's been reports of multiple swaps, i.e. from old version to new version back to old version.

Last edited by narvik; Mar 2, 2019 at 7:41 pm
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:34 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Based on UA's website (I don't see an image in your post), that is the long-derided sUA 772 with 2-4-2 seating in the back. I would sit in one of the sections on the side...don't get stuck in the middle.
That is just the interim seat map for the sUA 772. So, it's either going to be 3-3-3 in the back or if they get a Polarized one, it's going to be 3-4-3 in the back and the first 3 rows of Economy will be Premium Plus with 2-4-2.

LOL. I just realized that what you call the back is the Business Class section....with the 2-4-2 arrangement.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Mar 2, 2019 at 7:42 pm
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold (1K 2016–2023 by miracle extensions; RIP 1K status), 1MM
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Bear in mind it could be swapped with the new Polaris configuration, so you might want to check the seats regularly, particularly the last three days before your flight since that's when aircraft swaps happen. And they can happen again at the very last minute (well hour or two before your flight if they're having trouble with the particular aircraft that's supposed to be yours) so keep checking.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:45 pm

Programs: united
Is there any risk they sell 50 seats up front and go back to the 30 seat 767 and downgrade 20 people? I'm only a gold so I'm pretty sure in a scenario like that I'd end up in back and the thought of that terrifies me, lol
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bariww
Is there any risk they sell 50 seats up front and go back to the 30 seat 767 and downgrade 20 people? I'm only a gold so I'm pretty sure in a scenario like that I'd end up in back and the thought of that terrifies me, lol
Very, Very unlikely (and only in serious irrops) -- they may go to a different 772 version

Air carriers will make seasonal changes in the size of aircraft used for routes
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GeP
Actually, not. Or rather: only if United does not take the competitive situation in different markets into account.

It would make perfect sense to focus Polaris planes on routes where there is strong competition from other US or international carriers.
They're not competing with the PE seat until they sell PE.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:15 pm

Programs: UA
Looks like their batch job for plane assignment ran already:
2-4-2 seating arrangement is their not yet launched premium plus product, right? Hopefully this plane assignment sticks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.