FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Interim 77x seatmaps with Polaris seats & potentially Premium Economy (2018-19)) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1926142-interim-77x-seatmaps-polaris-seats-potentially-premium-economy-2018-19-a.html)

cfischer Nov 23, 2018 6:53 pm

My SFO-LHR flight this Sunday just got polarized :mad: and I had 2K. I hope this doesn't switch back because now I have 3A.

rankourabu Nov 23, 2018 7:14 pm

Happy I found this thread.
Moved us into 20A/B for a couple upcomng TPACs that show this configuration (ORD-PVG in March, and NRT-ORD in April) Fingers crossed.

Interestingly also had 17A/B booked on a 3-4-3 SFO-DEN flight, and during today's schedule change got "reaccomodated" down to row 33 when the sear map switched to this configuration for late March. Put us back into 20A/B

Fingers crossed all these flights we end up with the new PE seat!

emcampbe Nov 24, 2018 10:25 pm

Trying to figure out the best way to handle seating on the 777. Booked on 944 (ORD-FRA) in Dec. and 804 (NRT-IAD) in January. We’re currently booked in ABC seats in E+ on both flights, but wondering if we should change our approach. There will be 3 of us with seats, plus a lap infant.

We’d ideally want to do bassinets (I think UA is supposed to accommodate that, if they can), but not exactly sure how we accomplish that with the seating configuration as is. I believe the bassinet is in row 19 (middle section) on the non-Polaris/PE aircraft. But obviously not showing on the interim seat map. I could try to get us into 20 in the middle section, where I assume there is a bassinet since it would be by the bulkhead, but should the aircraft not get swapped, obviously, that doesn’t really help us for that. Also, since it seems the most recent reports have seen people getting swapped out of 20 anyway, not sure if it makes sense to try and get in there at this point (available on the FRA flight, not on the NRT flight at the moment).

I suppose if we get in PE, the ‘issue' in the middle section will be there will likely be a 4th next to us - not a big deal, but obviously, it would be better if there were just 3 of us in a section (I know…first world problems).

Thoughts on best way to proceed?

username Nov 25, 2018 12:34 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 30460255)
Happy I found this thread.
Moved us into 20A/B for a couple upcomng TPACs that show this configuration (ORD-PVG in March, and NRT-ORD in April) Fingers crossed.

Interestingly also had 17A/B booked on a 3-4-3 SFO-DEN flight, and during today's schedule change got "reaccomodated" down to row 33 when the sear map switched to this configuration for late March. Put us back into 20A/B

Fingers crossed all these flights we end up with the new PE seat!

My experience is here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...exhausted.html - flight went out with the 3-3-3 777.

rankourabu Nov 25, 2018 7:07 am

Originally Posted by username (Post 30463304)
My experience is here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...exhausted.html - flight went out with the 3-3-3 777.

So bottom line, even though they made efforts to get these "interim" maps out, everytime there is a swap, you get bumped. whether it be months ahead or hours ahead of flight.

cfischer Nov 25, 2018 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 30460220)
My SFO-LHR flight this Sunday just got polarized :mad: and I had 2K. I hope this doesn't switch back because now I have 3A.

This is such a mess. Now the flight is back to the 3-class 772. UA decided to swap the new plane to the earlier flight and the old configuration to the later one. But whyyyyyyy? Both inbound planes are coming in on time and could serve either of the 2 flights. Now the created a huge mess of everyone on both sold out flights needing new BPs. The lady in the Polaris club was also very frustrated this happens so often for no apparent reasons, but she happily printed me my updated BP.
The only good news is ... I got 2k back automatically. The folks in the Polaris lounge were surprised I did, because usually it is a complete scramble. Perhaps the system remembered I had a GF seat in the first place before UA eliminated F. Either way, my seat is fine, but the gate for both flights will be a complete mess. Good riddance UA.

Barakp Nov 27, 2018 2:13 am

Anybody knows what happens if a someone with a PP seat is upgraded at the gate? Who is getting that seat? Is that now a seperate waiting list/gate judgement/quickest person on the app?

chleonard Nov 27, 2018 10:54 am

Any reports on whether those in valid seats in rows 20-22 were able to keep their seat assignments on the new configuration with PP? Reports above seem to vary, and it's unclear if status has a bearing (I'm not GS or 1K, just a lowly Gold). I'm flying IAD-BRU-IAD in a couple of days - outbound flight was just Polarized, was automatically moved from 7H to 4D (managed to grab 5L, looking forward to finally trying out the new seats). Return flight is too far out for an aircraft assignment, but I do currently have 22G. Seems like IAD-BRU is almost 50/50 for new vs old config, so I know there's a decent chance I could still end up with the old config anyway.

dsquared37 Nov 27, 2018 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by chleonard (Post 30472301)
Any reports on whether those in valid seats in rows 20-22 were able to keep their seat assignments on the new configuration with PP? Reports above seem to vary, and it's unclear if status has a bearing (I'm not GS or 1K, just a lowly Gold). I'm flying IAD-BRU-IAD in a couple of days - outbound flight was just Polarized, was automatically moved from 7H to 4D (managed to grab 5L, looking forward to finally trying out the new seats). Return flight is too far out for an aircraft assignment, but I do currently have 22G. Seems like IAD-BRU is almost 50/50 for new vs old config, so I know there's a decent chance I could still end up with the old config anyway.

I was able to maintain my bulkhead seats for both flights where the seat map converted to PE without problem. At the time I was MM/Plat.

cos999 Nov 27, 2018 8:43 pm

Observation on 772ER PMUA retrofit

FWIW....UNITED FLEET on GOOGLE DOC
https://sites.google.com/site/united...fleet-tracking
(scroll down and click on 772 tab)
shows 20 planes with the old PMUA config (v1 772 on UA seat map) flying and 9 with the new Polaris/PE config and none with Polaris but no PE. (not shown on UA seat map)
More specifically it shows 24 772ER with the old PMUA config/v1 of 8F/40BF/113E+/108Y= 269 chairs with 4 at XMIN (CHINA) for Polaris/PE retrofit=20 birds flying
and 9 772ER with the new Polaris/PE mods with 50BF/24PE/46E+/156Y = 276 chairs
The never seen v5 config (https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...0/default.aspx) had 292 chairs! (50 BF/80E+/162Y)

So the subtraction of 16 seats (292-276) comes from the 3 PE rows having 8 seats vs 10 (-6) and the extra PE PITCH and extra bulkhead separating PE from E+ meaning 1 row of 10 seats goes away
which gets them from 292 to 276 seats. I assume Mr Kirby feels they will make the seat decrease up with PE increased pricing (+24 PE seats $$$$ > 40 (34E+ + 6Y) seat $$$$

adambrau Nov 27, 2018 9:18 pm

Have 2A EWR-FRA on Thursday - I think since the old GF is going I hope the plane doesn't change for nostalgia. We've lost GF and the 744's in a year - a lot of memories. Going forward things will be good with the Polaris Cabin except the FA's aren't happy with smaller galleys where pax cross over. Wish everyone could be happy....

prometa Nov 28, 2018 8:44 am

Anyone have any insight into the inventory policy on the the 772ER when flown domestically before a frame is assigned? Of course the Polaris birds have more seats than the 3-class config does. Will they oversell a 3-class? I presume they oversell the interim map, since it has fewer seats than any actual config.

findark Nov 28, 2018 11:36 am

Originally Posted by prometa (Post 30475721)
Anyone have any insight into the inventory policy on the the 772ER when flown domestically before a frame is assigned? Of course the Polaris birds have more seats than the 3-class config does. Will they oversell a 3-class? I presume they oversell the interim map, since it has fewer seats than any actual config.

If I recall from the 77H to 77G days, they will treat it as having inventory equal to the smallest number of seats which could fly, but still oversell that like normal (and maybe more than normal). Inventory management in Y is pretty opaque so there's a lot of guesswork there.

expressboy Nov 29, 2018 5:18 am

Just got aircraft assigned and was kicked out of my 21G interim seatmap assignment overnight into 33J on a polarized bird with PE. The whole of E+ seems to be full :mad:

drewguy Nov 29, 2018 7:29 am

Originally Posted by expressboy (Post 30479070)
Just got aircraft assigned and was kicked out of my 21G interim seatmap assignment overnight into 33J on a polarized bird with PE. The whole of E+ seems to be full :mad:

Yeah, the problem is there are only about half the number of E+ seats on the Polarized planes, meaning a good chunk of people will lose E+ when there's a swap.