Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Interim 77x seatmaps with Polaris seats & potentially Premium Economy (2018-19))

Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

This seatmap is being used for all flights will an sUA 777-200ER scheduled. It is being used to guard against equipment swaps into one of the three possible seating configurations: legacy sUA 3-class (8F/40J and 3-3-3 in Y), 2-class Polaris (50J and 3-4-3Y), and 3-class Polaris/PE (50J/24W and 3-4-3 Y). The actual seatmap for the aircraft assigned to your flight will become available when the flight is added to the normal Flight Status display, approximately 60 hours before departure (usually overnight).

Blocks in Economy are at all 'F' seats, plus 20CH, 21BJ, 22BJ, and 35ABCDE (the last for accommodation). The blocks are designed so that, regardless of which equipment flies, no one will be moved or scrambled when the seatmap updates. Instead, some seats will unblock and some blocked seats may be deleted based on the real configuration, and then some rows may be added. This process is similar to that for the 757-300, 737-900, and other frames with uncertain configurations.

Some danger remains if there are more equipment swaps after the initial frame assignment, and the change from F/J to Polaris in the forward cabins is not a well-defined mapping.

Premium Economy, if on the plane used, would be Rows 20-22, Seats AB[ ]DEFG[ ]KL

Similarly, as Premium Plus is added to the existing Polaris 773s, Rows 19/20/21 seats B & K are not shown, to accommodate potential swaps between PP & non-PP equipped aircraft.

It is speculated that once PP is offered as a true separate cabin. UA will focus the PP equipped aircraft on a few selected routes to minimize the swap risk.
Print Wikipost

Interim 77x seatmaps with Polaris seats & potentially Premium Economy (2018-19))

Old Nov 29, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: UA:MM 1K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Plat
Originally Posted by drewguy
Yeah, the problem is there are only about half the number of E+ seats on the Polarized planes, meaning a good chunk of people will lose E+ when there's a swap.
Yes. And I picked 21G specifically for this reason because I thought it was a safe seat that exists in all the configs . Now I am starting to wonder why UA even bothers with this interim seatmap meant to minimize disruption if they are going to randomly reassign people.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Maybe got lost, but anyone have suggestions for how to handle a request for a bassinet given the generic maps?

The middle section of row 20 showing empty right now. But if it doesn’t get swapped, row 20 won’t have bassinet, it would be 19. If it gets swapped, may not get a bassinet anyway if moved to who knows where in the plane. Anyone know how UA is dealing with that, and if there is any priority with bassinet requests in the PNR?

Old Nov 30, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by expressboy
Yes. And I picked 21G specifically for this reason because I thought it was a safe seat that exists in all the configs . Now I am starting to wonder why UA even bothers with this interim seatmap meant to minimize disruption if they are going to randomly reassign people.
Perhaps you could email 1kvoice email and ask them what the policy is and post their reply? 21G exists on both birds so why the reassignment? It does not make sense. I have a upcoming ORD-PVG flight in 8 days and selected 20B for same reason.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by cos999
Perhaps you could email 1kvoice email and ask them what the policy is and post their reply? 21G exists on both birds so why the reassignment? It does not make sense. I have a upcoming ORD-PVG flight in 8 days and selected 20B for same reason.
Perhaps status, time of booking, fare class, or something else is coming into play here. I don't think anyone knows for sure why this happens. Unless I missed it.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: UA 1k
This morning one of my flights for next year is showing as First hehehe. I had select seat 1K in an old 777-200 seat map

What are the odds I get a soup? ;-)
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:56 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mrt88
This morning one of my flights for next year is showing as First hehehe. I had select seat 1K in an old 777-200 seat map
What are the odds I get a soup? ;-)
About the same as getting GFL access.
mrt88 likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by cos999
It feels like someone was given a directive to kick people out of PE seats at frame assignment, so I would also be curious if there is a policy here.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, ShebaMiles, SkyMiles
Point of reference - My wife and I paid for E+ seats on an upcoming TATL flight, and had seats selected in the last row of E+ on the interim 772 seat map. Aircraft was just assigned and we got the new PE configuration. We were pushed up to the new PE seats. She's United Silver and I'm ET*G, but guessing we were given the new seats because we paid for the E+ seats.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by b_magee
Point of reference - My wife and I paid for E+ seats on an upcoming TATL flight, and had seats selected in the last row of E+ on the interim 772 seat map. Aircraft was just assigned and we got the new PE configuration. We were pushed up to the new PE seats. She's United Silver and I'm ET*G, but guessing we were given the new seats because we paid for the E+ seats.
Is the previous row you had still an E+ row?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
United needs to design a different interim seat map . . .
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, ShebaMiles, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Is the previous row you had still an E+ row?
Previously was in row 28.... row 28 does not exist on the new map
Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by drewguy
United needs to design a different interim seat map . . .
Don't think the seat is the issue -- the seat re-assignment process, that could use some work. Additional I suspect starting a few days ( 3 Dec 2018?) or earlier we will start seeing some real PP/PE seat maps -- but probably will continue to see the interim map in some cases.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA GS, Amex Centurion, UA 1MM
So I am happy that (at least for now) my 772 EWR-FRA flight Monday is swapped for new Polaris config. Traveling w my wife who were seated together in the previous airframe under two different PNRs. Now we are not together and there are no middle seats at all. I really want the odd row to celebrate my million mile flight TATL next to Mrs Sacco. Called GS and said nothing can be done as all seats are assigned. My argument was that the whole cabin just got randomly Reassingned anyway and why can’t someone “randomly”’assign me and my wife together. This is a little frustrating.

Last edited by saccoNY; Dec 1, 2018 at 5:58 pm
Old Dec 1, 2018, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by saccoNY
So I am happy that (at least for now) my 772 EWR-FRA flight Monday is swapped for new Polaris config. Traveling w my wife who were seated together in the previous airframe under two different PNRs. Now we are not together and there are no middle seats at all. I really want the odd row to celebrate my million mile flight TATL next to Mrs Sacco. Called GS and said nothing can be done as all seats are assigned. My argument was that the whole cabin just got randomly Reassingned anyway and why can’t someone “randomly”’assign me and my wife together. This is a little frustrating.
Monday? Don’t worry, it’s probably going to switch back anyway
Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Just did a little checking around end of May for a 7 day trip.

I went to CheapoAir and they were willing to sell me RT tickets in Premium Economy between EWR an TLV - price was steep so I didn't bite - like $4k a ticket. No seat map available but on the 781. I tried EWR-FRA RT and I'm sure there was a Business Class RT on the 781 for $4600 and PP was just over $4k.

United.com shows $4600 on the 781 in Z class to Frankfurt RT.

Barcelona was for same dates as TLV and FRA on CheapAir, was $4k lowest Polaris Cabin on the nonstop 781's each direction, but they wanted $6600 for PP on the same flights so that sort of hinted CheapoAir knows nothing more than anyone else.

I've usually had good luck with them but I guess we all have to wait to see the prices when they come out for sale.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.