Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Interim 77x seatmaps with Polaris seats & potentially Premium Economy (2018-19))

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

This seatmap is being used for all flights will an sUA 777-200ER scheduled. It is being used to guard against equipment swaps into one of the three possible seating configurations: legacy sUA 3-class (8F/40J and 3-3-3 in Y), 2-class Polaris (50J and 3-4-3Y), and 3-class Polaris/PE (50J/24W and 3-4-3 Y). The actual seatmap for the aircraft assigned to your flight will become available when the flight is added to the normal Flight Status display, approximately 60 hours before departure (usually overnight).

Blocks in Economy are at all 'F' seats, plus 20CH, 21BJ, 22BJ, and 35ABCDE (the last for accommodation). The blocks are designed so that, regardless of which equipment flies, no one will be moved or scrambled when the seatmap updates. Instead, some seats will unblock and some blocked seats may be deleted based on the real configuration, and then some rows may be added. This process is similar to that for the 757-300, 737-900, and other frames with uncertain configurations.

Some danger remains if there are more equipment swaps after the initial frame assignment, and the change from F/J to Polaris in the forward cabins is not a well-defined mapping.

Premium Economy, if on the plane used, would be Rows 20-22, Seats AB[ ]DEFG[ ]KL

Similarly, as Premium Plus is added to the existing Polaris 773s, Rows 19/20/21 seats B & K are not shown, to accommodate potential swaps between PP & non-PP equipped aircraft.

It is speculated that once PP is offered as a true separate cabin. UA will focus the PP equipped aircraft on a few selected routes to minimize the swap risk.
Print Wikipost

Interim 77x seatmaps with Polaris seats & potentially Premium Economy (2018-19))

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2018, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I added a wiki post to contain the list of blocks and the picture of the aircraft. Hopefully that info answers most of the questions about how the interim seatmap works -- this is identical to the new 757-300 interim map and the older 737-900 ones where rows 14 and 39 were missing.

Originally Posted by jefftiger
Hmm, I see this same layout for UA804 from NRT-IAD on 8 November. I had booked my wife and me into 20AB and we've been kept in those seats in this new configuration. If it doesn't turn into a PE flight, then I potentially would have a middle seat in a 3-4-3 config?
Yes and no. You would be in A/B in a window-middle configuration, but the C seat would be guaranteed empty at the time the frame update happens (overnight before T-48). You would have ample time to correct your seat assignments if you have the ability to be vigilant at this time.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 5:33 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Have all seat maps now been changed to this..or does the fact that my future flight show this map mean I'm more likely to get it?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
All flights with an sUA 772ER have this seatmap now (if they are at least 3 days in the future).
Old Aug 28, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold, CAM Card
Originally Posted by findark
All flights with an sUA 772ER have this seatmap now (if they are at least 3 days in the future).
Thanks very much for this info and for the wiki post. I've moved us back to 20AB and will monitor the situation more closely nearer to flight time.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Yes, thanks for all this info, just moved myself to 20B on a 777-200 for bulkhead aisle which I hope will be honoured on an eqpt change. It has been when they switched from 777-200 to the Polaris config. That said I will watch it like a hawk.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
So for my upcoming 10/23 UA990 SFO-CDG, I'll have no way of knowing if it's actually PE until the seat map "solidifies" 3 days prior to flight?
Old Sep 15, 2018, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
So for my upcoming 10/23 UA990 SFO-CDG, I'll have no way of knowing if it's actually PE until the seat map "solidifies" 3 days prior to flight?
You have no way to know for sure until the flight arrives in CDG.

Three days before departure, you'll get a pretty good idea, but swaps are still possible all the way up until the last minute, and even afterwards if there's a mechanical issue after pushback. Up until that point, though, ti's a complete crapshoot.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by tagflyer
Why are the F seats blocked in the seat map if they exist in PE?
Because there are no F seats on the current pmUA 777.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Yes, thanks for all this info, just moved myself to 20B on a 777-200 for bulkhead aisle which I hope will be honoured on an eqpt change. It has been when they switched from 777-200 to the Polaris config. That said I will watch it like a hawk.
I'm curious - the online map of the Polairsized 777-200 shows economy starting in Row 26. Do they just move everyone back 6 rows?
Old Sep 16, 2018, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drewguy
I'm curious - the online map of the Polairsized 777-200 shows economy starting in Row 26. Do they just move everyone back 6 rows?
It's the same number of rows (roughly), just starting 6 higher, so they just would increase everyone's row assignment by 6.
drewguy likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 10:23 am

I was poking around the United website and found the seatmap icon for Premium Plus. As expected it will be purple.

Economy: https://www.united.com/web/format/im...keyEconomy.gif

Economy Plus: https://www.united.com/web/format/im...keyLegroom.gif

Premium Plus: https://www.united.com/web/format/im...keyPremium.gif
Old Sep 16, 2018, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Originally Posted by jsloan
You have no way to know for sure until the flight arrives in CDG.

Three days before departure, you'll get a pretty good idea, but swaps are still possible all the way up until the last minute, and even afterwards if there's a mechanical issue after pushback. Up until that point, though, ti's a complete crapshoot.
'until the flight arrives in CDG'? As to say, it might switch to non-PE after departing from SFO?
Old Sep 16, 2018, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumje
'until the flight arrives in CDG'? As to say, it might switch to non-PE after departing from SFO?
Sure. MX forces a divert back to SFO and they scrub the frame, substituting a non-PE bird.
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sure. MX forces a divert back to SFO and they scrub the frame, substituting a non-PE bird.
As a point of precision, I might insist in that case one still got the PE seat, one just got a different seat as well.
jsloan and findark like this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by fumje
At INTL destinations with multiple flights the birds don’t necessarily return to the starting point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.