Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Flight cancelled on second segment, rebooked-what happens to checked luggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2018, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP

My daughter (college age) is currently on SFO-EWR (Aug 18) flight, first segment of SFO-EWR-ITH (Ithaca).

EWR-ITH (last flight of day) was cancelled. Next available EWR-ITH is four days away (Aug 22).

Rebooked tomorrow EWR-SYR (Aug 19) flight, and will take busto ITH.

She has luggage checked all the way to ITH. Reservation agent told me that she does not need to worry about luggage and that United will ship her checked luggage on the next flight tomorrow to ITH.

Is that correct? Will United offload her luggage in EWR?

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DH77024
She has luggage checked all the way to ITH. Reservation agent told me that she does not need to worry about luggage and that United will ship her checked luggage on the next flight tomorrow to ITH.

Is that correct? Will United offload her luggage in EWR?
Luggage with an ITH tag will be delivered (eventually) to ITH. The only other possibility is that it will be re-tagged to SYR to match her flights (unlikely, not not impossible). If it were to get offloaded in EWR, they would still be on the hook to deliver it to ITH, since that's where it's tagged. She should check the carousel in SYR, and, assuming it doesn't arrive, she should file a delayed luggage claim. She should have the option to have the bags delivered to her in ITH or to pick them up at the airport if she prefers.
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
This is always iffy. There are a few possible outcomes to this scenario and only one will actually happen:

1. Bag gets to EWR, remains overnight and boards the next flight to ITH. Agent is right and the bag waits at ITH for pick up.
2. Bag gets to EWR, remains overnight and never gets loaded on a flight because the baggage handlers aren't sure what to do with it since it's tagged for a cancelled flight to ITH. This isn't likely but possible.
3. Bag gets to EWR, remains overnight and then gets boarded to SYR with your daughter. This is possible if the bag scanner gives the baggage handler an alert that the passenger was rebooked via SYR. In this situation the bag tag will be manually updated to SYR and it will arrive on the flight with your daughter. This one is just as likely as #1 IMO.

In my experience you just never know. The other problem is that the bag tag ID you get in SFO will be useless for tracking in many scenarios. Someone at EWR will likely re-tag the bag which generates a new baggage ID number. This doesn't always show up in the mobile app as the current bag ID so you can't track the bag. And if you can't track the bag then the baggage service center is going to have a hard time as well.

My suggestion, if it's not too late, is to short check the bag to EWR and have your daughter pick it up there. Then she can check it in with whatever flight she winds up on the next day. Maybe a seat opens to ITH and she can get on that flight. Always possible.

-RM
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
RobonLI has it pretty much right. She really needs to take the time to go to baggage claim office and talk to them face to face about getting her bag back at EWR. It is much safer for her doing that way. It is always better when you can keep in your control rather than relying on some baggage handler/agent to do it right. Your daughter has a vested interested in her bag, they don't. My son learned this lesson the hard way going from EWR to EUG for a job interview. One flight canceled, re-booked and his checked bag never got past DEN because someone marked it OGG ......He had to go to a 24 hour walmart to buy some clothes for the interview at 8am....never trust them. Are they putting her up overnight at EWR or are the claiming weather delay? Just curious on that one.
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for your answers.

A spot opened up on EWR-SYR tonight and I was able to grab that for her.

That means she has a tight connection in EWR tonight, so won't be able to deal with her checked luggage issue in EWR, i.e., she won't have time to pick up her luggage and re-check in to SYR...the luggage will still have the ITH tag.

I suppose she can advise the gate agent in EWR, but not sure that'll do any good.

Reason for delay is "Air traffic control conditions." I wonder if United will reimburse her for her one-hour shuttle ride from SYR to ITH, but doubtful based on the reasons given.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Reason for delay is "Air traffic control conditions." I wonder if United will reimburse her for her one-hour shuttle ride from SYR to ITH, but doubtful based on the reasons given.
For air traffic control, it's extremely unlikely.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
ATC is out of UA control, so unlikely. UA will offer the next available flight to ITH as the way for UA to pay for her to get to ITH.

And before the usual brigade comes out:

Code:
CTL ELEMENT: EWR
ELEMENT TYPE: APT
ADL TIME: 1815Z
DELAY ASSIGNMENT MODE: UDP
ARRIVALS ESTIMATED FOR: 18/1815Z - 19/0259Z
CUMULATIVE PROGRAM PERIOD: 18/1815Z - 19/0259Z
PROGRAM RATE: 38/34/34/26/26/26/38/38/38
FLT INCL: ALL CONTIGUOUS US DEP
DEP SCOPE: (ALL+CZY_AP) ZLA ZAU ZLC ZTL ZDC ZNY ZHU ZJX ZFW ZOB ZDV
 ZOA ZSE ZBW ZMA ZKC ZME ZID ZAB ZMP 
CANADIAN DEP ARPTS INCLUDED: CYHZ CYOW CYUL CYYZ CYTZ CYQB
DELAY ASSIGNMENT TABLE APPLIES TO: ZNY
MAXIMUM DELAY: 209
AVERAGE DELAY: 110
IMPACTING CONDITION: WEATHER / THUNDERSTORMS
COMMENTS: LANDING RWY 22L DEPARTING RWY 22R. GROUND STOP CANCELED.
 AIRCRAFT RELEASED ON EDCTS.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Another option is to just get off EWR. There are frequent buses from NYC to Cornell door step. https://web.coachusa.com/info/shortl...tinum.asp?nt=0
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I've actually had really good experiences with this type of issue - for example, last year while flying IAH-EWR-BOM, I misconnected and was autorebooked IAH-EWR-LHR-BOM. Without any intervention on my part, a reroute tag was printed and applied at EWR (presumably when they scanned the bag and saw the routing change) and the bags arrived on the same flight in BOM with me.

Scan compliance might not be as good on a domestic flight, because there's no passenger-bag match requirement, but UA definitely at least has the infrastructure to reroute the bags automatically.
Bensky13 likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Last month I had a trip LAX-EWR-BWI, but the EWR-BWI was cancelled, and I used the app to rebook myself to EWR-DCA while I was still in the air. After I landed in EWR, and called the Premier Desk, I was told that my bag had been tagged to my new flight in the system, which is impressive.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
UA has an automated system which will spit out new tags for the bags. When her bags are off-loaded at EWR, the scanner will beep, signalling that they are rerouted and the new reroute tag should be applied. If it is not, the bags will simply go to ITH.

As noted, she should check at SYR on arrival and file a missing bag report at SYR if the bags are not there. UA will deliver in ITH.

As to the bus fare, it ought to be claimable against travel insurance.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Alaska Mileage Plan, Marriott Bonvoy
You can track the bag on the United App. I have had good success on it being accurate and up to date.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:08 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Similar thing happened to me a few months ago. I kept checking with UA agents to make sure my baggeage was with me through my one connection, and was repeatedly told it was. Arrived at destination with a txt message saying that my baggage didn’t make the flight.
Always best to be prepared for stuff like this. Make sure your daughter has her luggage tags, so she can head to the UA desk if her stuff didn’t make it. And keep all receipts.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

OP here.

So the online bag tracking system automatically updated SFO-EWR-ITH to SFO-EWR-SYR.

It showed the checked luggage as offloaded from the plane EWR, but then the status updates stopped there (i.e., EWR-SYR flight took off, but luggage did not show as on loaded onto plane).

Daughter landed at SYR, and as it turns out, all the checked bags put on plane were supposed to go to Dallas. No one on SYR flight received their checked luggage,, because apparently they all stayed behind in EWR.

And also, Dallas passengers will be pissed to learn that their luggage is in SYR.

Perfect storm of screw-ups.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:31 pm

Programs: CX Gold
OP here.

So the online bag tracking system automatically updated SFO-EWR-ITH to SFO-EWR-SYR.

It showed the checked luggage as offloaded from the plane EWR, but then the status updates stopped there (i.e., EWR-SYR flight took off, but luggage did not show as on loaded onto plane).

Daughter landed at SYR, and as it turns out, all the checked bags put on plane were supposed to go to Dallas. No one on SYR flight received their checked luggage,, because apparently they all stayed behind in EWR.

And also, Dallas passengers will be pissed to learn that their luggage is in SYR.

Perfect storm of screw-ups.
This is one of the more rare events! How come that they put ANOTHER flight's bag onto this plane? I thought they would check each bag using the hand held scanner?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.