Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA sometimes moving international flights to domestic terminal at SFO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA sometimes moving international flights to domestic terminal at SFO

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2018, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
I have seen Paris (UA 990) depart from SFO's Gate 86 in Terminal 3 before, as well.

JK-SFO
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by henrus
Do you have a source for that?

EVA's website doesn't list anything special like that:
Worldwide Airports - EVA Air America
I got the invite as a UA Plat in June travelling on an X class ticket.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by ual744777sta
I got the invite as a UA Plat in June travelling on an X class ticket.
Ok cheers that's good to know.

I guess you don't get to pick either UA Club or Virgin Atlantic Club it just depends on the side the flight leaves form?
Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by henrus
I guess you don't get to pick either UA Club or Virgin Atlantic Club it just depends on the side the flight leaves form?
The issue is the use of Terminal A for BR7. A *G flying BR has access to the United Club. A business class passenger has access to the Polaris lounge. But none of those are accessible from Terminal A.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
The issue is the use of Terminal A for BR7. A *G flying BR has access to the United Club. A business class passenger has access to the Polaris lounge. But none of those are accessible from Terminal A.
BR really go a bad treatment at SFO. Its counters are close to G, but passengers have to enter through A security check point.

It gave up its lounge for UA to build Polaris, but it is not getting the benefits for using it.

i would think it is better to move the Air Canada flights to UA domestic terminal. Passengers are already cleared immigration at Trans-border terminals in Canada.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 11:33 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
i would think it is better to move the Air Canada flights to UA domestic terminal. ....
To what spare gates?
Old Aug 18, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Technically they are accessible, you just need to pass through security twice - once to get to the lounge (in Intl G) and a second time to get to your gate (in Intl A)

The second time occurs after leaving the lounge - but that's no different to the VS Clubhouse, which is landside so still needs a trip through security to get form it to the gate.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
BR really go a bad treatment at SFO. Its counters are close to G, but passengers have to enter through A security check point.
I believe the construction in T1 is messing up the whole airport in terms of gates. AS has been diverting flights to SJC and OAK due to no gates at SFO. Once the airport has T1 fully back on line, I assume there will be some reshuffling which will allow all three BR flights to depart from G Terminal.

Recall that while they were rebuilding the E concourse, UA had to move regional ops to T1.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 6:35 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
There's a shortage of international gates in G terminal. They've moved BR7 to Terminal A for this reason. BR pax are none too happy about that, since there's no *A lounge on that side.
Can't think BR is happy either. Suspect it's cheaper to service J pax with Polaris than the VS Clubhouse.

I believe the construction in T1 is messing up the whole airport in terms of gates. AS has been diverting flights to SJC and OAK due to no gates at SFO. Once the airport has T1 fully back on line, I assume there will be some reshuffling which will allow all three BR flights to depart from G Terminal.
Another aspect may be inbound 77W. Seem to recall a 77W doing a SFO > HNL turn recently. Perhaps it made sense to use 89 to process the inbound HNL (or another domestic market) > SFO pax and just turn the plane there for HKG?
Old Aug 18, 2018, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by J.Edward
Another aspect may be inbound 77W. Seem to recall a 77W doing a SFO > HNL turn recently. Perhaps it made sense to use 89 to process the inbound HNL (or another domestic market) > SFO pax and just turn the plane there for HKG?
Makes sense. UA ops are pressed to the max during that time of day with all the international departures. Probably easier just to leave it at 89.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Leaving out of Gate 89 today too. I think besides 89, Gates 80, 82, and 86 can handle widebody aircraft.

Last edited by kluau88; Aug 20, 2018 at 11:32 pm
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by kluau88
Leaving out of Gate 89 today too. I think besides 89, Gates 80, 82, and 86 can’t handle widebody aircraft.
You mean "can?"
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by kluau88
Leaving out of Gate 89 today too. I think besides 89, Gates 80, 82, and 86 can’t handle widebody aircraft.
Exactly! I was about to post this. It is actually very interesting. The aircraft for today's 869 came from TLV and arrived at gate G94 at around 5:42 AM. So it appears that United actually towed it to Gate F89 for the HKG flight!

Last edited by lixiaojuventus; Aug 20, 2018 at 3:20 pm
Old Aug 20, 2018, 11:38 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
Exactly! I was about to post this. It is actually very interesting. The aircraft for today's 869 came from TLV and arrived at gate G94 at around 5:42 AM. So it appears that United actually towed it to Gate F89 for the HKG flight!
My guess is that the plane didn’t sit at G94 or Gate 89 between the departures but most likely was towed over to Super Bay before being towed back over to Gate 89. Super Bay is the area to the right of 28R where you often see a bunch of UA heavies parked.

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
You mean "can?"
Yup that is what I meant
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
No regular but not uncommon for departures, The reverse can happen also -- domestic flight using international gates.

Both gates areas are connected airside and not more of a walk then between concourses in EWR or ORD or IAH or ....

Only arrivals require special handling of passengers.
some Air Canada planes also plug up the international terminal and they are small planes?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.