Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

IAD - BRU on 3 class 777 but only 2 class offered for sale ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAD - BRU on 3 class 777 but only 2 class offered for sale ...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2018, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K3MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hertz PC
Question IAD - BRU on 3 class 777 but only 2 class offered for sale ...

When I booked my round trip IAD/BRU the united website only offered economy and business for sale (and award) , no mention of first class ...
I had read that transatlantic flights were moving to 2 class aircraft so i didnt think more about it ...

Looking at the seat map initially when I booked it showed a 3 class plane but all first class was occupied .. again thought it was some internal trick backing up the idea that first class wasnt available ...

Then a couple of weeks ago the seat map showed all first class seat avail on IAD-BRU and all avail but 2 on BRU-IAD ...
Went back and tried to do a booking but still no first class offered .. just econ and business ...

How should i interpret this ...
-is it a 3 class plane ?
-will they go empty in first class (given that its not for sale)
-are they going to use that space to "upgrade" some business customers ? (what criteria ? will there be a truly different experience in first class besides the seat ?)
-are there some secret business fares that book into the first class seats on 2 class routes flying 3 class planes ?
Old Aug 15, 2018, 2:47 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
It could possibly be that the 777 may become the new configuration Polaris which does not have First Class, so they are not selling those seats now in the chance of an equipment change.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 5:50 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
UA stopped selling international F a couple months ago as the retrofit of sUA 3-class 772s gets underway in earnest. Given there are only a handful of retrofitted 772s right now, I would imagine it’s more likely than not you still end up flying a 2-4-2 J bird. Who gets ‘upgraded’ into first depends on if they oversell the J cabin, nonrevs flying, etc.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Just as a datapoint crossing the other ocean... I’m flying ORD-PEK as I type this (connecting on to ULN); at the end of the week I’m coming back. Both are 3-class sUA 772s

For this flight I GPUed and cleared at ticketing. (Y>J) and the website was offering to sell me F for $12,300 and some change. As of this morning it was booked 1/8 but I know there were more people seated when I boarded.

For the return, the GPU is waitlisted, F is still booked 1/8 but it’s not available for sale — and a source has clued me in that revenue management has authorized the cabin to sell to 0, but J is authorized to oversell by a bit. Looks like the economy cabin is basically full (until about a week ago most of the mid level fare buckets were at 9 but as of a few days ago fare buckets have been oscillating between Y9B3M3 and Y9B1M1)

I had heard that GS in rev J were first in line to be op-upped to the F cabin, and after that if J is over op-up in revenue/status order, but I’ve also heard a number of FA friends referring the F cabin as “non rev class”
Old Aug 17, 2018, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K3MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hertz PC
I GPUed and cleared at ticketing too in both directions IAD-BRU and BRU-IAD but there was no upsell offer to F ..

do you know if with this situation catering in F is the same as catering in J ?

it will be interesting to see what happens .. I am not a paid J and already upgrading from Y to J with GPU ...
J looks about half full .. this is august .. vacation time in Europe ...

I will update with my outcome ...
Old Aug 17, 2018, 4:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
See this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...t-sales-4.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.