Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Buy/cancel unrestricted fare for terminal date - what do I need to know?

Buy/cancel unrestricted fare for terminal date - what do I need to know?

Old Aug 15, 18, 6:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If the question is, "how can I commit fraud against UA and get away with it," that is something which answering would violate FT's own rules.

Furthermore, given that the people who do get their status revoked and their MP account closed out don't often come here to complain, it is unlikely that anybody here can factually answer your question. Trying to discern what UA cares about and does not from those who do is not likely a fruitful exercise.

Last edited by Often1; Aug 15, 18 at 6:40 am
Old Aug 15, 18, 7:10 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC
Aye, also agree about flying somewhere.
If "TXL EWR IAD AUS SFO IAH LAX LGA LFT MSY PIT DEN SJC FRA AMS BWI ORD PSP LAS GRU JNB CPT HDS HKG NRT SYD PER LEA" have been your 2018 airports, I'd suggest that NOT flying somewhere would most surely result in a great letdown.
Old Aug 15, 18, 7:20 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I'm laughing at the idea that the friend will pack a bag for what she thinks is an invitation to a surprise destination and then go nowhere.

If I tried to impress someone who likes to fly, I would book an event at a small airport where they take you on a ride in a small plane. They used to do that a few times per year at my former location (or maybe it was one time per year). You get to see the scenery real close and if you live in a small town you can fly over your house and take pictures of it.
Old Aug 15, 18, 8:42 am

Punching above your weight ... indeed. Esp with cheapo ideas like this.
chavala and mr8 like this.
Old Aug 15, 18, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by malgudi View Post
Punching above your weight ... indeed. Esp with cheapo ideas like this.
Because the quality of the date is determined by how much money you spend

In any event, it was a hair-brained idea that's likely not going to happen. Will just have to see how far things go prior to any joint air travel activities.
Old Aug 15, 18, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by j2simpso View Post
I'm assuming you don't have a UC Membership because who one when they already get access for free as a 1K
1Ks get UC access on international itineraries only. I suppose one could buy an AUS-MEX or AUS-CUN Y fare in order to gain access...
Old Aug 15, 18, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by timezone_trooper View Post

In any event, it was a hair-brained idea that's likely not going to happen. Will just have to see how far things go prior to any joint air travel activities.
This.

Might want to step up and go some actual place, instead of getting free drinks at the UC.

If you don't think this is el cheapo, then there are other (bigger) problems
Old Aug 15, 18, 11:23 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by princeville View Post
I think a fellow travel enthusiast wouldn't be very impressed by this date. It's a bit of a tease to take her to an airport and not get on a plane, and she will probably also recognize that buying a ticket for access and then cancelling isn't allowed (I guess some people would be more bothered by this than others).

I would be on the lookout for an inexpensive, short flight to another city for dinner or lunch and then fly back home the same day. I don't know what fares in your area are like, but there are regularly fares from LAX to SFO or LAS (both less than an hour actual flight time) for $40-50 one-way. Not a cheap date but doable for most and I know I would be far more impressed if actual flying was involved. If that's out of the budget, I do think a picnic under the flight path would be a better way to go. Good luck!
Intra Texas fares are ridiculously high - normally about $100 each way

Originally Posted by malgudi View Post

Might want to step up and go some actual place, instead of getting free drinks at the UC.

If you don't think this is el cheapo, then there are other (bigger) problems
And many UC members complain that the free drinks are made with substandard alcohol, and free beer only includes Budweiser and such.

IMHO, not a way to impress .....
Old Aug 15, 18, 11:34 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Gold
The burning question in my mind is what sort of woman would be impressed by this? Is this for some sort of Bad Date Candid Camera scheme?
Old Aug 15, 18, 12:06 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by chavala View Post
The burning question in my mind is what sort of woman would be impressed by this? Is this for some sort of Bad Date Candid Camera scheme?
hey, some people might like getting patted down by the TSA and the amazing selection of soup and salad at the UC. /s

back to the original question..

If @timezone_trooper is a 1k wouldn't it be easier to book an award ticket instead? As other have pointed out, it would need to be international ticket for complimentary access to the UC.
Old Aug 15, 18, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by chavala View Post

Let's not get too judgemental here. I do know for a fact that there is a subset of women (and men!) who do appreciate the "people watching"-part that OP mentioned, and yes a UC is a great place to do that - well at least it's better than the public area outside the UC.

While you should be able to brush off a one-time occurrence to "I got an important call while I was in the UC and had to cancel my flight," it is true that there is a very slight risk that you may face further consequences. So if you have something to lose, then maybe this won't be the best idea. Too bad that nowadays you need a BP to enter the secure area or a club, times used to be different.
Old Aug 15, 18, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
it was a hair-brained idea
I think you mean hare-brained
EmailKid likes this.
Old Aug 15, 18, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Alaska MVP 75K
I think the terminal date, will actually end up being the "terminal" date!
narvik, chavala and threeoh like this.
Old Aug 15, 18, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
It is, thank you. Although, practically, I don't how United would ever discern that I have no intention of flying; no pattern of this type of behavior so they'd be guessing at best.
And the fact that they "won't know" excuses a deliberate violation of the COCs?
Old Aug 15, 18, 2:00 pm

Programs: none
"Might want to step up and go some actual place, instead of getting free drinks at the UC."

Take a plane ride for two instead. Ideally, you can find an acceptable restaurant at or near an airport near your home (say an hour's flying time or less).
Airport parking = $0
TSA line - non existent
You can bring whatever wine, champagne, etc, along with you on the plane, and you can drink it! (Four drinks of "airline-quality" wine will set you back $7.50 each..For $30 you can get a lot better choice.)

Search this Thread