Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pros and Cons of UA 60k 789 Polaris vs. Lufthansa 70k A380 Business class?

Pros and Cons of UA 60k 789 Polaris vs. Lufthansa 70k A380 Business class?

Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I absolutely do not like LH business seats in its international fleet. It just does not gel with me. What a horrible hard product for an excellent international airlines!!

If probably has the least privacy than most of the *A carriers I have flown the most: AC, CA, BR, LX, NH, SQ, OZ, OS, UA.

Despite its better service than UA, there is no way I would choose LH.

LH F on the other hand is one of my favorite F. The 110K is definitely worth it.
RobOnLI, seanp7 and Duke787 like this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I absolutely do not like LH business seats in its international fleet. It just does not gel with me. What a horrible hard product for an excellent international airlines!!

If probably has the least privacy than most of the *A carriers I have flown the most: AC, CA, BR, LX, NH, SQ, OZ, OS, UA.
You feel less privacy than the sUA J seats? I'm a little surprised by that one - LH J has always been a pretty normal 2-2-2 product in my mind. The hysteresis loop when reclining is rather idiosyncratic though.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
The hysteresis loop when reclining is rather idiosyncratic though.
Is that the thing where the seats go the wrong direction when you're trying to recline? Quite a few J seats do that, but I think LH's are the worst.

One thing about UA seat design, the seat moves just the way you want/expect it to. IPTE was the very best for this, sCO is very good, Polaris is the worst of the three but still predictably adjustable.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee
Is that the thing where the seats go the wrong direction when you're trying to recline? Quite a few J seats do that, but I think LH's are the worst.

One thing about UA seat design, the seat moves just the way you want/expect it to. IPTE was the very best for this, sCO is very good, Polaris is the worst of the three but still predictably adjustable.
Despite many flights in LH J, I haven't quite figured it out... if you moved toward the "lounge" position from upright, you end up at a very different seat height than if you do it from lie-flat. There seem to be several degrees of freedom that are not represented by the seat controls, so I have to play with rocking back and forth sometimes to get to an acceptable height relative to my dinner. Other J seats do this, but you're right LH is by far the worst and the UA seats are excellent.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer

Despite its better service than UA, there is no way I would choose LH.

LH F on the other hand is one of my favorite F. The 110K is definitely worth it.

That's why the GPU lottery with LH is such a gamble! In a number of US markets, LH is available side-by-side with the (subjectively) better J products of UA and AC at the same price points; however, LH, despite being the worst of the 3 business products, offers the carrot of a possible upgrade to F using GPU. If booking in advance, it is difficult to predict F availability, so the choice becomes a guaranteed better J product (and saved GPU), or confirm a worse seat with a shot at an upgrade at a high-quality F product!
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I think the food and wine on LH are markedly better than UA. But that is not the main thing, and they are sufficiently close that I'd probably still make the decision based on which times worked best for me, and whether I valued the extra 10K points (I have so many points, I doubt that would be the decision point).
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by findark
You feel less privacy than the sUA J seats? I'm a little surprised by that one - LH J has always been a pretty normal 2-2-2 product in my mind. The hysteresis loop when reclining is rather idiosyncratic though.
There is no divider between the two seats and also the the seatback Wall is low. The passengers behind you can see you and you can pretty much see the passengers in row directly ahead of you. The foot rest is another privacy flawed design.

As much as I don’t like the sUA 2-4-2 seats, at least I am not bothered by the passengers behind and in front of me.
RobOnLI likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I'm with @UA_Flyer wholeheartedly on this. I've flown both J products enough (mostly to/from SIN when I was based there) and while the soft product from UA is worse than LH's, the long flights dictate a better hard seat requirement in my book. And United winds hands down. LH J is probably the worst of the *A carriers on Long Haul and Ultra Long Haul flights.

Plus, you save 10K miles as an added bonus.

-RM
polarbears likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:33 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by porciuscato
p.s. I don't want to be a grammar scold, but it hurts me when you form plurals with apostrophes. ;-)
Its fixed now.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:36 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by jsloan
How are you getting back from FRA? If I had to choose one direction in which to spend the 110K miles, it'd be ex-FRA, because the First Class Terminal is a really cool experience.
I'm connecting intra-Europe out of FRA after a 5-hour wait, so I plan to walk over to the FCT as I have done once before.
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Artpen100
I think the food and wine on LH are markedly better than UA. But that is not the main thing, and they are sufficiently close that I'd probably still make the decision based on which times worked best for me, and whether I valued the extra 10K points (I have so many points, I doubt that would be the decision point).
I agree with the wine, but not the food. Once upon a time LH food was much better than UA. But my last few flights with LH, it seemed about the same as UA to me. I think LH has gotten worse in this category.

But like others have said, the LH seats are just plain uncomfortable, whether sitting up, reclining, or lying flat. I choose LH business when UA isn't an option, and that's about the only time.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
No one has mentioned cabin temperature, which is an important difference for me between LH and UA in all cabins. I find UA ranges from cool to warm and LH ranges from uncomfortably warm to stifling, in all cabins. I like it cool when I sleep, and LH tends to keep things warm enough that degrades my sleep experience on LH.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I agree about seat comfort but I have to mention that the A380 is IMHO the most comfortable plane flying. The A350 is second and the 787 third. The 77W is not in the same league.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
LH F > UA J > LH J.

Given the OP doesn't drink and is looking for sleep comfort, UA J would be perfectly fine. Perhaps you could try for LH F westbound?
Old Aug 14, 2018, 4:46 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
On LH, when the pax behind plonks their feet onto the footrest you feel it in your seat (their are connected). This is amazingly annoying. I'd choose the UA seat for this reason alone. As for cabin environment, UA has a cooler cabin (chose the front UA 789 cabin - its much quieter). There's no significant difference between the cabin pressure on the 380 or the 787 - it's a well developed "urban myth" that the 787 has a lower cabin altitude than other wide body aircraft.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.