Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New Corporate Preferred (upgrade tiebreaker) / new 'preferred' seating section

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United Airlines Strengthens Commitment to Top Corporate Customers with Launch of United Corporate Preferred

New exclusive program provides multi-level benefits to airline's top business travelers

SAN DIEGO, Aug. 13, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today debuted United Corporate Preferred, the industry's newest corporate travel program designed to offer top travel benefits to the airline's most loyal business customers. United announced the new program this morning at the Global Business Traveler Association (GBTA) Convention in San Diego.

United Corporate Preferred is a new and exclusive benefits program that provides added perks for the airline's top corporate customers. A multi-level program, United Corporate Preferred offers escalating benefits at three levels, including United Corporate Preferred, United Corporate Preferred Plus and United Corporate Preferred Elite. Eligibility for the new program is determined by a corporation's contract status, revenue contribution and loyalty with United. Eligible corporate agreements include United corporate share agreements, United PassPlus and United Meetings.

"Every day thousands of road warriors are jetting off on United to work events and business meetings all over the world," said Jake Cefolia, United's senior vice president of Worldwide Sales. "We designed our United Corporate Preferred program with the customer's entire travel experience in mind, from booking to landing, to identify opportunities to show our appreciation to our loyal business customers with a program that offers extra perks and travel benefits."

Benefits offered to all United Corporate Preferred customers include:
• Preferred upgrades – tie-breaker preferences for upgrades.
• Preferred standby – prioritization when traveling on standby for a different flight and when waitlisting for a seat in a different cabin or booking class.
• Operational adjustment protection – protection during travel interruptions, as well as seat protection to retain the same or similar seat in the event of an aircraft swap.
• Preferred discounts and offers – eligibility to receive exclusive promotions offered by both United and its partners in the near future.

Customers in the airline's new United Corporate Preferred Elite level will also receive the following:
• Additional travel waiver flexibility – when United has a travel waiver in place, customers will receive additional flexibility to adjust their travel beyond restrictions in place on the standard waiver.
• Preferred boarding – later this year, customers will receive priority boarding in group two.
• Preferred seating – later this year, customers will have access to book designated standard economy seats closer to the front of the plane.

To receive these benefits, tickets must be flown on United or United Express flights, reservations must include the customer's corporate account number at the time of booking, and the travel must be for the corporate customer's business. Companies invited to participate in United Corporate Preferred will receive a tailored webpage with information on benefits eligible to their employees. For more information on the program, visit unitedcorporatepreferred.com.
What benefits do United Corporate Preferred travelers receive?
Specific benefits are listed below. Being a multi-level program, within each benefit in tie-breaker scenarios, United Corporate Preferred Elite travelers receive the highest priority, followed by United Corporate Preferred Plus and then United Corporate Preferred.
Preferred seating FAQs

Originally Posted by alanstar
, the $9 "preferred seating" are available for free at T-24 check-in.
Refunds:
UA says
Refunds for preferred seating purchases are processed automatically after scheduled departure in the event of flight cancellation change, when travel is completed in a standard United Economy seat, or when travel is completed in a seat of equal or greater value through the purchase of a premium cabin seating offer.
and
In the event of a ticket refund or cancellation, preferred seating purchases will be automatically refunded.
If you decide to change your flight, your preferred seating purchase will be automatically refunded. If the ticket is partially used at the time of the change, only the value of unused preferred seating will be refunded.
Preferred seats access for elites
MileagePlus Premier® members will receive access to preferred seating, where available, at no additional cost.
Appears to be for entire PNR and not limited like E+ elite access.

Preferred seat refunds (changed flights, upgraded, purchased E+, ...)

Print Wikipost

New Corporate Preferred (upgrade tiebreaker) / new 'preferred' seating section

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: UA MM
Maybe throwing a bone to Premier Silver members, giving them a chance at an aisle or window that they otherwise might not have had?
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I think this is even less of a problem with the Preferred seats. They're not better seats per se; the whole point is just so that elites and corporate customers will have non-middles to choose from when booking last minute -- prioritizing cash/status/contracts over first-come first-served for seat assignments. It's definitely sliding further down the ancillary revenue track, but many other airlines around the world operate more like this on short-haul flights.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Maybe throwing a bone to Premier Silver members, giving them a chance at an aisle or window that they otherwise might not have had?
Silvers and also non-status corporate contract customers. But yeah, the idea is to try to avoid the inevitable forced middle seat when you're buying a 1-day E fare.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 9:25 pm

United is starting to charge for the ability to select a seat in more "favorable positions" (aka towards the front of economy). This sounds like something that American was going to (or is) doing.

I found this out today when reviewing an upcoming, short domestic flight on an ERJ145. What is interesting is that the "preferred" seats that are currently being sold for $9 on my flight are seats that have typically been reserved for Premiers. Alas, the "Preferred Seat" offer is of little value to me. 1) It offers no additional legroom. 2) The flight is short. 3) The destination is the final destination for all pax on board; therefore, sitting closer to the front does not necessarily add any real benefit for this flight.

*** Clarification ****
Ah! Thanks for this. The new seat option doesn't replace Economy Plus, but is a section after it. And it seems like the observation I described (seats previously first reserved for Premiers now being "Preferred Seats") is limited to ERJs on UA. Therefore, I guess this is non-news. haha

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 15, 2018 at 9:35 pm Reason: merged into existing thread; merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 15, 2018, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by n198ua
They will? There's no up-charge if you select one. Who would pay more for a middle seat?
They aren't just middles - if you mouse-over them you'll see that they are all seats for the first X rows after E+, and then just window/aisle for the next Y rows.

The problem right now is that for any flight in the not-to-distant future this will add minimal value, as people have already selected their seats before this came into effect, when anyone could select these seats. As time goes on, only select people (status, corporate preferred elite, those willing to pay extra) will be able to select them, so their availability should improve.

Also worth keeping in mind that it's only the top level of Corporate Preferred (ie, "Elite") that can select these - not all levels.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:04 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Star Gold left out again

Just as with Economy Plus, those of use with Star Alliance Gold status from other programs than UA's own are completely left out. I can't even select a preferred seat with a gold card in my reservation without paying.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by drewguy
I would expect the middles not to be preferred but the aisle/window seats just behind E+.
I doubt it. Much like E+, the seats are preferred due to their location in the cabin, not wilma identity. I suspect UA will price M cheaper than W/A as they currently do (however modestly!) for E+.

Btw, what are we calling these new seats? Already have E-, E+, and PP/PE. I think PS would be too confusing and wouldn't fit the progression. I propose Eo or E(some other neutral symbol).
Old Dec 16, 2018, 1:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Gnopps
Just as with Economy Plus, those of use with Star Alliance Gold status from other programs than UA's own are completely left out. I can't even select a preferred seat with a gold card in my reservation without paying.
As are UA elites from most *A carriers' preferred seats (NZ is an exception, a few will do this at gate).
findark likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 5:17 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
What Are "Preferred Seats" ?

I am noticing on seat maps a new category of seats called Preferred Seats. It is located behind E+ and is white with a black corner. They do not look like anything special. I presume that this is UA's latest way to nickel and dime pax. I hope they can somehow justify the term "Preferred Seat", other then they cost more money. (I doubt they can)
Old Dec 17, 2018, 5:24 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Unfortunately you are correct. While I don't know the implementation date, UA plans on charging a fee to sit in the front of the Y cabin. The airlines are trying to compare the seats on a plane to those at a stadium, where you pay for the better seats. The airlines say these seats are better than seats in the back because you get off of the plane sooner, and you get served your beverage first. The airlines say that like in a stadium, if you want better seats, you have to pay for them.

Note: The statement that Airline Seats are like Stadium Seats is a quote from the airlines. It is a whole other debate as to how true that statement is.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 5:25 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
I am noticing on seat maps a new category of seats called Preferred Seats. It is located behind E+ and is white with a black corner. They do not look like anything special. I presume that this is UA's latest way to nickel and dime pax. I hope they can somehow justify the term "Preferred Seat", other then they cost more money. (I doubt they can)

Last edited by smxflyer; Dec 17, 2018 at 7:44 am Reason: formatting
Old Dec 17, 2018, 5:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Preferred by whom, exactly?

drewguy likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by smxflyer
https://twitter.com/BrianSumers/status/1071214624031178752?s=19
In the comment section; this struck me as rather pertinent:

"So soon the economy choices at @United will be...

Basic Economy
Economy
Economy Preferred Seating
Economy Plus
Premium Plus

So tell me which Jane/Joe Doe flyer can differentiate these without a bunch of research. "
Xyzzy and drewguy like this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
How long until the middle seats are declassified as preferred seats? DL figured this out a long time ago. I give it under a year.

-RM
drewguy and narvik like this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
I don't know if it is related but on the My trips tab there is a link to "Choose your preferred seat", but that might mean the seat I prefer, not a "Preferred Seat". FWIW I am able to choose one for free as Silver.

I think Preferred seats are like what DL has or what CO used to have before E+, and even after on non-E+ planes like the ERJ, where there was a small part in the front of economy selectable to elites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.