Wiki Posts
Search

Premier Checkin - who can use?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2018, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA
Premier Checkin - who can use?

I'm sure this is a dumb question, but I have gotten told conflicting information on this so from airport personal so I'm looking for the final word and a link to where this is explicitly stated online.

Who can use the Premier Checkin areas? I am only UA Silver but I also have the MileagePlus Explorer. All of my boarding passes for years have said Premier Access which I assume means I can use the Premier Access security lane, but I've never tried since I have GlobalEntry.

Can I also use the Premier checkin area? Or is this limited to passengers F / *G / UA Gold and above?
Old Aug 11, 2018, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by charlesLAX
I'm sure this is a dumb question, but I have gotten told conflicting information on this so from airport personal so I'm looking for the final word and a link to where this is explicitly stated online.

Who can use the Premier Checkin areas? I am only UA Silver but I also have the MileagePlus Explorer. All of my boarding passes for years have said Premier Access which I assume means I can use the Premier Access security lane, but I've never tried since I have GlobalEntry.

Can I also use the Premier checkin area? Or is this limited to passengers F / *G / UA Gold and above?
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

You're a Premier; you should be able to use any check-in that's marked Premier. This comes from your status, not the credit card.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 10:59 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
If you have Premier Access on your BP. it includes Premier Checkin

Premier Access benefits

and as a Silver, your companions, on the same PNR, are included
Old Aug 11, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: Hertz PC
Finding more and more airports (mostly smaller ones) doing away with First class/premier line and only having pre-check and everbody else lines.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 12:01 pm

Who can use the Premier Checkin areas?

if you premier you can use premier checkin. The only conflict you might be experiencing is if you tried to use the Premier 1K/First check in that some airports have. That is seperate from the regular Premier check in area.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by drew in the air
if you premier you can use premier checkin. The only conflict you might be experiencing is if you tried to use the Premier 1K/First check in that some airports have. That is seperate from the regular Premier check in area.
depends on the airport.

Some hubs (and presumably other focus cities) have separate F/1K area and then a regular premier access line for other premiers. For example, ORD has this.

what I’ve been seeing now for some time at other airports is (and I can’t remeber the exact language, which may be somewhat different on signs but basically indicates the same thing) for Polaris and Premier 1K, but is actually open to all elites and is regular premier access. It’s the only premier line. YYZ, for example, is this way. As a gold until recently, and now a silver, I was specifically told by staff that all elites have access to this line, and have never even been questioned about doing so. Perhaps the signage is an attempt to keep the lines emptier, but I know im entitled to use these lines and do not have an issue doing so.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz P.C., GE/NEXUS
As a Silver you can use any UA branded Premier lines for check in and security. Other carriers' Star Gold lines are of course only for Gold & above only.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold

Global entry is used for re-entry into the US. What you are describing here is the complementary TSA Pre which comes with Global Entry, allowing you to use TSA Pre marked lines at US airports.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Global entry is used for re-entry into the US. What you are describing here is the complementary TSA Pre which comes with Global Entry, allowing you to use TSA Pre marked lines at US airports.
Yep. I figured on a forum like this everyone already knew that and it wasn't worth mentioning. ;-)

Thank you for this!! I think this has been my confusion all along.

So to clarify...

There are:
1k/First Premier Checkin
Premier Checkin
Economy Checkin

At an airport with just 1k/First Premier Checkin lane it is actually for all Premiers and the signage is just misleading?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 12, 2018 at 1:46 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 12, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
At an airport with just 1k/First Premier Checkin lane it is actually for all Premiers and the signage is just misleading?
If there are specific Global Services/1K/First/Polaris lines then these are not available to you are a Premier Silver.

However any time those lines exist, there will almost certainly be a separate Premier area, which is the one you can use.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by docbert
If there are specific Global Services/1K/First/Polaris lines then these are not available to you are a Premier Silver.

However any time those lines exist, there will almost certainly be a separate Premier area, which is the one you can use.
Hmm, that seems to contradict emcampbe...

Originally Posted by emcampbe

depends on the airport.

Some hubs (and presumably other focus cities) have separate F/1K area and then a regular premier access line for other premiers. For example, ORD has this.

what I’ve been seeing now for some time at other airports is (and I can’t remeber the exact language, which may be somewhat different on signs but basically indicates the same thing) for Polaris and Premier 1K, but is actually open to all elites and is regular premier access. It’s the only premier line. YYZ, for example, is this way. As a gold until recently, and now a silver, I was specifically told by staff that all elites have access to this line, and have never even been questioned about doing so. Perhaps the signage is an attempt to keep the lines emptier, but I know im entitled to use these lines and do not have an issue doing so.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
And to clarify some ORD statements:

At ORD there is no First/1K line these days. There is:
-GS area (GS only)
-1K/Polaris (GS, 1K, Polaris First, Polaris Business)
-Premier Access (GS, 1K, *G, first, business [non-polaris], silver, gold, plat)
-Economy (anyone)

If no bags are being checked and no in-person document checks are required, self check-in kiosks are located almost everywhere. They do not care what your status is (except if you're BE without bags, then find an agent).
Old Aug 12, 2018, 4:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by bhunt
Finding more and more airports (mostly smaller ones) doing away with First class/premier line and only having pre-check and everbody else lines.
OP is asking about the check-in counters, not the TSA checkpoint.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 9:04 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Having recently had an outstanding experience (September 2020) with the MSY Premier checkin, my experience on Tuesday was the exact opposite for me and others that followed.

Walked up to the 1K/Premier line and there were no customers but three agents behind the counter all talking. I finally started to walk towards them to ask about checking my luggage to be told I MUST use the kiosk. I said I am 1K and went to the line. They were insistent on the kiosks. They then did the touch screen for the kiosk for me.

A line was forming for the 1K/Premier checkin and no one went near them, no one told them to use the kiosk, the customers just stood there while the other two gate agents stood doing nothing.

As I was walking past I commented to the customers in the line they would need to use the kiosk and one of them responded i am GS and will wait in line. I said i was only 1K but they made me use the kiosk.

Not sure if an aberration or a new process. Definitely was not my experience in SAN the previous week, but for an airline needing flyers not the way to treat GS and 1K customers.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Having recently had an outstanding experience (September 2020) with the MSY Premier checkin, my experience on Tuesday was the exact opposite for me and others that followed.

Walked up to the 1K/Premier line and there were no customers but three agents behind the counter all talking. I finally started to walk towards them to ask about checking my luggage to be told I MUST use the kiosk. I said I am 1K and went to the line. They were insistent on the kiosks. They then did the touch screen for the kiosk for me.

A line was forming for the 1K/Premier checkin and no one went near them, no one told them to use the kiosk, the customers just stood there while the other two gate agents stood doing nothing.

As I was walking past I commented to the customers in the line they would need to use the kiosk and one of them responded i am GS and will wait in line. I said i was only 1K but they made me use the kiosk.

Not sure if an aberration or a new process. Definitely was not my experience in SAN the previous week, but for an airline needing flyers not the way to treat GS and 1K customers.
So was this in SAN or MSY?

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.