Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Seeking Help Finding Reasonable Fare for IAD-PRG next week 8/15 -8/19/2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, SPG Gold, United 1K, Hilton Diamond, Diamond Golden Circle

Trying to get from IAD to PRG next week in business class 8/15 -8/19. I definitely should have purchased it earlier. Anyone have a tip or suggestion of a way to get the flight closer to 6 or 7K? Everything is coming up closer to 10K right now.

Have tried routing through, MUC, FRA, VIE.

Could do TK, but flight is extremely long (27 hours) and I have no idea how TK credits to United - it says Business (K).

Appreciate your sage advice and help.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Your inside 5 days... IMhO its not likely to get cheaper.

Check google flights, or try getting into rough position with WOW (Wow the low cost carrier that connects through KEF).

Last edited by jhayes_1780; Aug 10, 2018 at 1:17 pm Reason: Added info for the OP
Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Try EWR/BWI/DCA, or even BOS as beginning gateways.
Look if buying W and using GPUs make sense.
Try also a different return city.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Zoltar
Trying to get from IAD to PRG next week in business class 8/15 -8/19. I definitely should have purchased it earlier. Anyone have a tip or suggestion of a way to get the flight closer to 6 or 7K? Everything is coming up closer to 10K right now.

Have tried routing through, MUC, FRA, VIE.

Could do TK, but flight is extremely long (27 hours) and I have no idea how TK credits to United - it says Business (K).

Appreciate your sage advice and help.
Some flights still available in J to Vienna and then take train / buy separate ticket / drive to PRG....

IST flights to VIE
Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Looks like there is award availability in J on OS/LH to PRG on 8/15. Tough part is getting back on 8/19 - you can buy a ~$1,350 o/w in economy back on LH via FRA which books into B (GPUable).
Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
seenitall likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
There's a $3500 1-stop fare IAD-DUB-LHR. Then separate ticket LHR-PRG.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kmxu
Nice - I limited myself to *A - selfish mistake I know....
Old Aug 10, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: Compulsory Traveller
PHL-TXL on EI for 3345 USD; it's a short flight or 4hr train ride from Berlin to Prague.
DCA-PRG on AA/LO for 5578 USD.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you insist on flying out of IAD, on *A, in J and to PRG, you have set yourself up.

You need to broaden your parameters in the order of importance to you. and then start working towards a cheaper fare. This means determining which of the four criteria you have established can go by the wayside and how far you are willing to drive or take the train.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, SPG Gold, United 1K, Hilton Diamond, Diamond Golden Circle
Originally Posted by Often1
If you insist on flying out of IAD, on *A, in J and to PRG, you have set yourself up.

You need to broaden your parameters in the order of importance to you. and then start working towards a cheaper fare. This means determining which of the four criteria you have established can go by the wayside and how far you are willing to drive or take the train.
Thank you. Yes, that's pretty accurate and good advice (as is much of the advice in the thread - so thank you to all).

Sadly I have very little say around the dates.

I would rather not spend more than 4 hours on a train.

I would prefer being able to earn on United over some of the other options.

May not be possible outside of buying in Y and using miles for this one, but trying to see what options exist if any.

I know this is a problem I created by not buying in advance.

Thank you again to all for your help and advice. Have been working through all of them to see if they fit my situation.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Split ticket connections are you friend here. Kacee had a good suggestion; I searched and found IAD-HAM for ca. $3,300 on your dates so you could fly e.g. IAD-MUC-HAM/HAM-ZRH-PRG and PRG-VIE-HAM/HAM-ZRH-IAD for USD 3,300 plus EUR 400 (overnights in HAM on the way back, which might be a deal-breaker but it seems like only the morning ZRH-IAH has P space).

PRG-HAM can be done non-stop if you don't mind skipping being on *A for that segment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.