Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CA Wildfire Cancel Trip to Tahoe/Sacramento (SMF), refund? if Basic Economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Hello
I have a trip planned for the next week and we are planning to fly to SMF and from there go to Lake Tahoe which is experiencing bad Air quality and Smoke from the Fire both North and South of Tahoe. I have United Basic Economy ticket. Would UA refund the money if i have to cancel the ticket? is there any other options?
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by awesome75
Hello
I have a trip planned for the next week and we are planning to fly to SMF and from there go to Lake Tahoe which is experiencing bad Air quality and Smoke from the Fire both North and South of Tahoe. I have United Basic Economy ticket. Would UA refund the money if i have to cancel the ticket? is there any other options?
Unless they issue a travel waiver, no. (Even then, I'm not sure how that works with Basic Economy).

Your options are to watch for delays on your flight -- if your flight is canceled or delayed more than two hours, you can call and ask for a refund due to the schedule change -- and check to see if your credit card offers travel insurance.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

The ticket was purchased using Chase Explorer Card.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Explorer Card includes trip cancellation benefits for "severe weather." I'm not sure whether or not this qualifies. You can ask -- see the contact information on the "Travel Protection" page on the Explorer benefits website: https://www.chase.com/personal/credi...vel-protection
Old Aug 7, 2018, 2:53 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
I will say that I just spent last week in Lake Tahoe for work abd the air quality was variable -- bad (but not truly horrible ) to good (but not excellent) based on the winds, etc.

Don't know if that makes you feel any better but if you can't reschedule, at least you have a chance of making it work.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Without a waiver, your chances are slim. I caveat that with the following:

However, the CA fires have made national headlines. Call, HUCA a few times, and there might be a sympathetic agent that will issue a refund or a travel credit. This is at their discretion and no guarantee whatsoever. Just call and explain your situation. Don’t demand. Just ask. Explain your reasoning.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Although I like laxmillenial's advice, changing the BE ticket might sit better with the agent than an outright refund.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
You are in luck, as this is now declared a national disaster (well not the Tahoe area and this may cause a potential problem) you can apply for reimbursement through their coverage. I would just be more general and say your "Northern California" vacation was effected by the fires.....I used it for a hurricane abbreviated trip two years ago. Took about 60 days to get credited but it works. I would just say the disaster affected your plans. Obviously this is what I did when I applied for hurricane coverage. I suspect you won't be the only one calling about this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 6:29 pm

Programs: Delta DM for now
Unless you or someone you're traveling with is particularly sensitive to poor air quality (asthmatic, elderly, infant, etc...) I wouldn't completely write off the trip. I live just north of the lake and the last few days have been wildly variable for smoke in the area, even across a relatively small area. Saturday morning I could barely see a half mile from my house, while the the east shore of the lake near Spooner Summit was clear blue skies. I generally avoid outdoor activity in the bad smoke, but I've had no problem getting out for a hike/run the last couple of days. If you have a little bit of flexibility in your schedule, I'm sure you'll still be able to have a great trip.
Originally Posted by nomad420
You are in luck, as this is now declared a national disaster (well not the Tahoe area and this may cause a potential problem) you can apply for reimbursement through their coverage. I would just be more general and say your "Northern California" vacation was effected by the fires.....I used it for a hurricane abbreviated trip two years ago. Took about 60 days to get credited but it works. I would just say the disaster affected your plans. Obviously this is what I did when I applied for hurricane coverage. I suspect you won't be the only one calling about this.
Ultimately, if OP does want to cancel, this is probably the best way to do it. Be a bit vague and they might be willing to work with you. If not a refund, you may at least get credit to use for a later booking.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for suggestions and ideas. Very informative. Really appreciate.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Thank you all for suggestions and ideas. Very informative. Really appreciate.
Please report back and let us know what you decided to do, and what happened!
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
This topic would be better suited for the Chase forum and thread on travel insurance.

United does not refund tickets unless they are unable to provide service due to weather, mechanical delays, etc. None of that applies here if the flight takes off which seems likely as SMF is not closed. Does not matter what fare class is long as it is not a refundable fare your are SOL. Would be curious about whether the "insurance" sold by United when you buy your ticket would cover this type of event. I never purchase it but normally this is the response you get from UA when you call for refunds due to medical issues, etc.

It is good know that Chase MP card may provide travel insurance as this would not have occurred to me seeing as the airport is open. It is a bit different than a hurricane aftermath where the airport may open but the entire area is a disaster zone (e.g. New Orleans, Houston, Puerto Rico). The smoke is not great but Sacramento is still functioning. Ditto for Reno, Lake Tahoe, etc.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:42 pm

i’ve gotten several UA refunds for far more trivial reasons
Old Aug 9, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Colin
i’ve gotten several UA refunds for far more trivial reasons
Ditto. @Boraxo, you're factually incorrect. Many of us have documented posts and experiences with UA refunding us money on 100% non-refundable tickets. This invalidates your point where you said "UA does not refund...does not matter...". The OP is not a SOL. While many of our experiences depend on the 'graciousness/mercy' of the employees, we have posted that in our advice to the OP. Sure, the chances are slim, but not SOL.

In fact, I think the OP has a good chance of being refunded/travel credit/dates moved. This is a natural disaster with real-world impacts being felt. It's not just a "my meeting got cancelled and I want a refund" kind of request.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
A few anecdotal exceptions do not break the general rule and policy. I think the chances are close to nil but who knows maybe OP will get lucky. Obviously there is little cost to playing telephone roulette with United CSRs but I would temper expectations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.