Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Onboard employee attention to a passenger friend -- When does it go too far?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Onboard employee attention to a passenger friend -- When does it go too far?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2018, 9:45 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 757FO
Wait, did you actually take pictures of them? If so, that in itself is a bit over the top.
Yes because in nearly 30 years of flying I had never seen such a blatant display - and let's face it if I hadn't posted at least something here no one would take it seriously -- and there were even some asking for the rest of the pictures lol. Honestly wanted a genuine discussion -- instead just got this....
Old Aug 11, 2018, 10:22 am

I spoke with the nurse whose husband is a flight attendant for another airline about this thread and what her opinion was.

She relayed a story about what happened to her husband when she flew on a flight which he was working and gave her a quick kiss on the cheek as he was walking back to his jumpseat.

A few days afterwards, he got called into his supervisors office and was told that he is being written up for violation of company rules regarding PDA.

The Supervisor said a fellow Flight Attendant reproted your behavior as well as a customer and the write up was being put in his permanent file.

Companies have rules, regardless (I would hope) of sexual orientation and expect their employees to adhere to said rules.

I would imagine UNITED has rules about PDA, maybe they don't, obviously I have never read their employee handbook, but if they have a rule about PDA and an employee violates said rule, they should receive whatever consequence arises from violation of the rule, regardless of race,sex,Creed,etc..

In the scheme of things is it a big deal, no, in fact from reading all posts on this thread it bothers some more than others.

To me, it is about a lack of Professionalism, not really surprised it happened (would feel the same way if it was a heterosexual couple), will it happen again, sure, should it, that is up to debate.
halls120 and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: Continental OnePass Platinum
Personally, I would just pretend it never happened.

From UA's point of view, (as kmersh) said, a PDA like this from an employee in uniform is likely a really big deal. And it should be; when you operate potentially-deadly heavy equipment and you are a customer-oriented business, you've gotta take professionalism very seriously. For this reason, I suspect that if you send in pictures of the incident, the FA in question is going to suffer real consequences.

But it just feels to me like the OP should let it be. I wouldn't want to be the one who gets a UA employee fired just because he was overly excited he got his boyfriend or husband a J seat. As a passenger, I don't feel too compelled to do UA's work for it and keep its FAs in line (the crew should be doing that). I just don't care about UA enough to help them out at a real cost to myself---the cost is feeling bad that maybe I got someone fired.

Plus, it's not like there was a real injury suffered on the part of the OP, other than annoyance at the level of service---and let's face it, if you fly commercial in 2018, you are going to be annoyed with the level of service for one reason or another.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 11:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

PDA in this situation is wrong, no matter what one’s sexual orientation might be. I’m surprised there is any debate on this issue.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by Supima
Really surprised at how negative everything went so fast....
Originally Posted by 757FO
Wait, did you actually take pictures of them? If so, that in itself is a bit over the top.
When I get on a plane, I MMOB, and expect EVERYONE else to do the same. If I saw some dude snapping my picture, "FOR WHAT EVER REASON", believe me when I say, he'd wouldn't have time to be surprised to find out how fast I'd go negative!

About 6/7 years ago - NRT-LAX when stretching my legs observed 2 male f/a's making out in the galley. Just kept walking and let it go. When I was in grade school, hall monitor's always got their a$$es kicked!
Old Aug 11, 2018, 12:14 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Two Bee
When I get on a plane, I MMOB, and expect EVERYONE else to do the same. If I saw some dude snapping my picture, "FOR WHAT EVER REASON", believe me when I say, he'd wouldn't have time to be surprised to find out how fast I'd go negative!

About 6/7 years ago - NRT-LAX when stretching my legs observed 2 male f/a's making out in the galley. Just kept walking and let it go. When I was in grade school, hall monitor's always got their a$$es kicked!
This is exactly why I asked the thread to be closed.... No useful dialogue, just a bunch of this....
Old Aug 11, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by Supima
This is exactly why I asked the thread to be closed.... No useful dialogue, just a bunch of this....
Should'na snitched, in the first place!!
Old Aug 11, 2018, 12:25 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Two Bee
Should'na snitched, in the first place!!
lol guess you can’t read - I never did....
Old Aug 11, 2018, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've got to say I'm with the OP on this. In this case, PDA was the context but the underlying issue (clearly stated in the OP) was how YOU would react to getting shorted on cabin service because the FA was overly attentive to one particular passenger. Lover - gay or straight - friend, relative, or coworker. Who cares? The case presented to frame the QUESTION happened to concern two gay men, but that was secondary. And in typical dog whistle fashion, a social media thread obsessed about sexuality and spent itself presuming things about the OP's and other posters' attitudes toward homosexuality along with accusations of being a buttinsky. No wonder the OP is withdrawing.
The direction of this thread reminds me mostly of those where someone complains of an equipment issue on their flight and the thread devolves into whether that particular plane was used in that particular flight on that particular day. As if the specifics of the examples are far more important than the substance of the original post. I get that some people are sticklers for accuracy but these diversions most often turn what could be an interesting discussion into a tiresome one. IMO, of course.
Admittedly, this question of preferential treatment by cabin crews has been covered forever on Flyer Talk. But I'm calling BS on posters who say they'd just ignore it and move on. If I was willing to do the work - and I'm not - I'm certain I'd find almost every one of them has posted a service complaint that they felt valid and worthy of discussion at some point. I'm also certain I would find them being utterly dismissed somewhere in the thread.
(OTOH, as in this thread, there will also almost always be some useful and relevant suggestions.)
Old Aug 11, 2018, 1:00 pm

Location: Another aeroplane, another sunny place, I know I'm lucky but I just want to go home.
Programs: Paris Metro, BART monthly pass holder; Amtrak rider; Safeway, Costco club member :D
First world problem....
Old Aug 11, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mrotenfan
First world problem....
Yeah. It's a first world web forum.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
I'm not a fan of PDA either, but this is 2018 and in the public space it happens everywhere. What is your quantification of 'less service'? Did he skip your meal, did you go thirsty, were you blocked from the lav, did they take your meal choice, I just want to know what specific service was lacking? Also, if you had such a problem with service levels inflight, why did you not approach the FA or purser about it? Oh, that's right you were too busy taking pictures with the intention of shaming the couple on FT later. UA's photo policy permits capturing personal events. It is obvious to me that this is not your personal event but one of voyeuristic overtones. Just seems to be not more than homophobic online bullying.
Mrotenfan likes this.

Last edited by prestonh; Aug 11, 2018 at 2:34 pm
Old Aug 11, 2018, 3:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Hard to see how this subject and this thread's discussion is contributing to the purpose of this forum, and with the number of inappropriate posts that needed to be removed or edited, it seems best to close out this thread.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Mrotenfan, rickg523 and physioprof like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.