Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Can Non Revs Standbys do the equivalent of EXTRASEAT?

Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE

In learning to read the Flight Status and Information pages, I've come to appreciate that NR Standby passengers always seem to be listed last on the Upgrade Standby List, but usually re also on the Flight Standby list (also in last positions).

For an upcoming flight, I saw something I have never observed, that is two people with the exact same name (XXX, A) listed for the Flight Standby list, and yet only one of these person(s) (XXX, A) also listed on the Upgrade Standby list.

This seemed a bit odd, and had me wondering whether NR Standby passengers can seek to book and block an empty seat next to them in coach? For example, if a revenue passenger desired to buy two seats (blocking one), they both would be in their name, IIRC.

Last edited by 747FC; Aug 10, 2018 at 8:53 am Reason: added info
Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by 747FC
In learning to read the Flight Status and Information pages, I've come to appreciated that NR Standby passengers always seem to be listed last on the Upgrade Standby List, but usually re also on the Flight Standby list (also in last positions).

For an upcoming flight, I saw something I have never observed, that is two people with the exact same name (XXX, A) listed for the Flight Standby list, and yet only one of these person(s) (XXX, A) also listed on the Upgrade Standby list.

This seemed a bit odd, and had me wondering whether NR Standby passengers can seek to book and block an empty seat next to them in coach? For example, if a revenue passenger desired to buy two seats (blocking one), they both would be in their name, IIRC.
Do both XXX, A appear next to each other on the flight Standby list? If not, they may be Andrew XXX, and Alexander XXX. Cheers.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Kmxu
Do both XXX, A appear next to each other on the flight Standby list? If not, they may be Andrew XXX, and Alexander XXX. Cheers.
Even together, could still be two separate people —- husband and wife, for example. XXX, Andrew and XXX, Alice.

And yes, Nonrevs are still people (contrary to FlyerTalk groupthink.)
In The 216 and Beltway2A like this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
two people with the exact same name (XXX, A) listed for the Flight Standby list...
It was more likely two people with the exact same initials.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

People flying nonrev do not have to list for the front cabin. There are reported to be extra fees for clearing into F/J, although I don't know what magnitude.

So here are a couple possible explanations (with arbitrarily chosen numbers for the list position):

--

SBY
8. XXX, A (1) [rev, standby for earlier flight]
9. XXX, A (2) [nonrev]

UPG
16. XXX, A (2)

--

SBY
8. XXX, A (1) [nonrev, likes chances for UPG, willing to pay extra fees]
9. XXX, A (2) [nonrev, doesn't want to upgrade]

UPG
16. XXX, A (1)

--
Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This seemed a bit odd, and had me wondering whether NR Standby passengers can seek to book and block an empty seat next to them in coach?
Block it from whom?

This would be (nearly) pointless. The only way this alleged second identical reservation would clear would be if all revenue passengers were already assigned seats, check-in is closed, and the flight is under gate control. At that point, when the gate agents are clearing standbys, there'd have to be two seats available next to one another. When the gate agent clears the standbys, the non-revs are going to be placed into windows and aisles first. Only after that would they fill any empty middle seats. So, the only way this would make any difference is if there were two seats together, more standbys than aisle / window seats, and the open pair of seats was toward the front (they'll fill middles front-to-back, although sometimes they'll give out the exit row first).

Also, IIRC, an extra seat reservation uses the first name "EXTRASEAT." So, even if this were permitted, I imagine you'd see it as AAA, X and AAA, E, not AAA, X and AAA, X.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 9:30 am

It's possible that a non-rev could list themselves twice, though its not supposed to be done and they would never be given two boarding passes even if they did. Usually what happens is you get someone who doesn't know how things work so they list themselves for multiple flights on the same route, not realizing that if they miss the first flight that they'll be automatically rolled over to the next flight anyway. So then when the agent rolls the list over, they show up twice. But again, once it comes to actually clearing the seats the agent will just cancel one of the reservations anyway.

As someone mentioned it'd be quite pointless since non-revs only get the left over scraps 15 min before departure anyway. If they get called up to the counter for their seat assignment they can simply ask for the seat that has an empty one next to it.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Non-revs don't block anything. We get whatever is left over at T-15.

Most domestic non-revs list are for economy. Most don't want to pay the fee for a higher cabin on domestic flights and, with CPUs, there are rarely any available, anyway. If we list for FC, we show up on both lists. If we list for economy, we show up only on the standby list and will be left behind if an economy seat isn't available--even if a FC seat was open.
EmailKid likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Very interesting to learn how the system works. Thanks!
Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum Thingy, United MileagePlus Silver, blah on others
Originally Posted by LarryJ

Most domestic non-revs list are for economy. Most don't want to pay the fee for a higher cabin on domestic flights and, with CPUs, there are rarely any available, anyway. If we list for FC, we show up on both lists. If we list for economy, we show up only on the standby list and will be left behind if an economy seat isn't available--even if a FC seat was open.
Curious - is having to pay to sit in F a recent thing? When I worked at Delta nonrevs never had to pay a fee to sit in F (domestic) or J (if 3 class INTL). We could list for Y only if we were traveling with children (DL set an age minimum for nonrevs sitting up front).

Now what we did have to do was pay the taxes/fees on international flights and they were based on the full fare of the cabin we were assigned - which could get pretty pricey for some destinations.

At any rate, what is said here about nonrevs is correct - they list for space available on the flight and can for both classes of service. Their priority is far, far lower than any paying customer, however. If space is available after all paying customers are accommodated then they clear nonrevs. Always an adventure traveling that way.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Wanted to mention something.

I was on a flight last week ORD-SAN. Y was completely sold out. 3 seats open in F, and not a single person left on the upgrade list. There were 3 people and the same people were on the sby list for Business and Economy. I couldn’t SDC since flight stayed Y0.

Those people cleared right into first. I didn’t standby, but I’m assuming if I did...that I wouldn’t have cleared, to Y or J.

Maybe UA would have moved a lucky pax up to F to make room for me, and only upgraded 2/3 standbys in F?

Even if there weren’t any non-revs, how does that work when there is F open, no one to upgrade, and you’re on the standby list?
Old Aug 10, 2018, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BThumme
Even if there weren’t any non-revs, how does that work when there is F open, no one to upgrade, and you’re on the standby list?
With status, I would ask if I could be cleared into first on a CPU-eligible route. It might not be technically within policy, but it's a reasonable request and one that I'd expect could be granted. Without status, or on a non-CPU route, they will not op-up someone to clear a standby.
sexykitten7 and findark like this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat
I am also shocked to hear this. Care to explain why they charge you to sit upfront domestically? And what kind of range are we talkin? If those seats are "free" for elites, then they ought to be free for employees too. Sounds like a money grab to me!
Old Aug 11, 2018, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by sexykitten7
I am also shocked to hear this. Care to explain why they charge you to sit upfront domestically? And what kind of range are we talkin? If those seats are "free" for elites, then they ought to be free for employees too. Sounds like a money grab to me!
Every employee benefit is negotiated and stipulated in the contract. Down to the last decimal point. And so UA isn't "grabbing" anything -- it was mutually agreed to by both parties.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by fumje
People flying nonrev do not have to list for the front cabin. There are reported to be extra fees for clearing into F/J, although I don't know what magnitude.

So here are a couple possible explanations (with arbitrarily chosen numbers for the list position):

--

SBY
8. XXX, A (1) [rev, standby for earlier flight]
9. XXX, A (2) [nonrev]
This actually happened to me (as a non-rev).......I cleared for a F-class seat on a transcon. As soon as I was settled (plane still at gate), a gate agent promptly came on board, apologized profusely but had mixed up my name with the name of someone else (XXX, J (me) and XXX,J (a well-known comedienne). I don't know if they were originally confirmed or were standing by but it was definitely "their" seat. I graciously moved back to coach (reseated there by the gate agent); we all had a good laugh. It happens.

---------
UAL does not charge non-revs a fee for higher cabins on domestic flights. Like DL, there is only airport departure fees/taxes on international flights (price depends on the international airport one is departing from, ie., departing LHR versus departing SIN is a big difference in fees).

Originally Posted by sexykitten7
------
No money grab at all. UAL does not charge non-revs a fee to sit in a higher cabin domestically. The only fees/taxes collected are when non-revs are departing international cities (all cabins). They are really airport or country departure? taxes. So whether I travel in coach or first class from an international airport, only then will a fee be charged. Deduction will vary, for example, LHR and FRA are much higher than SIN or TPE. Delta is the same.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 11, 2018 at 1:55 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.