Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA 949 August 09 2018 (Phone threat about plane, nothing found)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Location: Another aeroplane, another sunny place, I know I'm lucky but I just want to go home.
Programs: Paris Metro, BART monthly pass holder; Amtrak rider; Safeway, Costco club member :D

Anyone on UA 949 LHR SFO today?? Hope everyone is ok! Heard there was a phone call to TV station KPIX, a threat to this flight. Authorities boarded the flight with weapon drawn and searched. Glad that nothing was found.

Last edited by Mrotenfan; Aug 9, 2018 at 9:08 pm
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:29 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Mrotenfan
Anyone on UA 949 LHR SFO today?? Hope everyone is ok!
Any reason to think they wouldn’t be?
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
This is a rather cryptic post - what are you referring to? There is nothing I can see in Google news about said flight yet. It arrived 17 minutes late.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:30 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Mrotenfan
Anyone on UA 949 LHR SFO today?? Hope everyone is ok!
Odd statement. Got any links to news articles? I don't see anything.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Location: Another aeroplane, another sunny place, I know I'm lucky but I just want to go home.
Programs: Paris Metro, BART monthly pass holder; Amtrak rider; Safeway, Costco club member :D

It’s all over Twitter. Words now is that KPIX called SFO, that there is a threat to this flight. Authorities searched the plane, passengers deplaned row by row, but nothing was found.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 9, 2018 at 11:22 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
So whoever sent that decided not to listen to the officers, and tweet instead?
FriendlySkies likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

I think it’s just happened and passengers just now finally finished deplaning.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 9, 2018 at 11:21 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 9, 2018, 8:56 pm

Programs: None anymore
Eesh... Doesn't sound fun at all. Glad it wasn't a real threat.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 10:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
I'd refuse to put my hands up and I would take my stuff with me, last time I checked there has to be reasonable suspicion or proof that I have, or am about to commit a crime.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:38 pm

I’m sure you would become a prime suspect immediately and be swiftly dealt with. I can not understand why you would not want to be as helpful as possible in order to resolve the situation as quickly as possible. Any judge would deem any officers reaction to your non compliance as reasonable. Why would you want to slow their response and distract their attention away from a legitimate threat onboard? I would be pissed as a fellow passenger if someone like you tried this bs.

Originally Posted by DCP2016
I'd refuse to put my hands up and I would take my stuff with me, last time I checked there has to be reasonable suspicion or proof that I have, or am about to commit a crime.

Last edited by l etoile; Aug 10, 2018 at 9:38 am Reason: Comment deleted by moderator ... inflammatory
Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:41 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Good thing you fly WN and AA, and not LY.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The police do not need individualized suspicion in order to conduct a search for purposes of airport security. The law in the Ninth Circuit expressly allows "blanket" administrative searches (i.e., searches for weapons or explosives conducted without individualized suspicion) so long as they are reasonable under the circumstances. E.g., United States v. Aukai, 473 U.S. 1265 (9th Cir. 2007).

Last edited by Kacee; Aug 10, 2018 at 10:08 am
Old Aug 10, 2018, 6:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
last time I checked there has to be reasonable suspicion
You mean like the original threat?
BThumme likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 6:47 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Then I hope you enjoy being tackled and or tased by police officers, handcuffed, and being questioned in jail for a few hours.
jhayes_1780 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
And then when you end up being shot at 5 times, you end up complaining and suing because of police brutality. [comment deleted by moderator.] Law enforcement is doing their job, why wouldn't you just cooperate?
jhayes_1780 and EWR764 like this.

Last edited by l etoile; Aug 10, 2018 at 9:40 am Reason: Comment deleted by moderator- inflammatory

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.