*G Companion Baggage Tag Incident

Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
It makes logical sense to provide the benefit to companions of all four categories.

Otherwise, the First Class, *G, etc., passengers will be stuck waiting around for their companions (to the extent Priority bag tags actually work).

Denying a benefit to a travelling companion is tantamount to denying it to the primary beneficiary -- which is likely why the companion benefit was created in the first place.

​​​​
zeer0 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
It makes logical sense to provide the benefit to companions of all four categories.

Otherwise, the First Class, *G, etc., passengers will be stuck waiting around for their companions (to the extent Priority bag tags actually work).

Denying a benefit to a travelling companion is tantamount to denying it to the primary beneficiary -- which is likely why the companion benefit was created in the first place.

​​​​
Exactly! Literally no point in providing the benefit just for the primary customer.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 4:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zeer0
Whenever I fly on United with a companion, it literally says "Premier Access" on both my boarding pass AND my companion's boarding pass. Both in the app and on printed tickets. So I do get "all" the benefits. ..
Perhaps we are talking past each.

It has not been challenged that various companion benefits is offered HOWEVER there is nothing on the UA site that supports demanding the benefit if not offered.

UA has multiple situations where a benefit is extended to companion but there is no public, published statement of that benefit. It those cases where the benefit is not offered and there is no public, published benefit, (IMO) one is not really in a position to demand or badger an employee just because it had happen before.

Saying it is not logical not to offer the benefit is no defense either.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:55 pm

Programs: United 1K, Air New Zealand, Qantas, Alaska, etc.
Originally Posted by findark
I'm always surprised by the hating on the priority tags. My bags don't come out first every time, but I would say at least 9 times out of 10 they are in the first 20% of bags to hit the carousel. The occasional time when they come out last is a huge contrast for me, so I'm a little surprised by other experiences.
My experience has also been about the same, though perhaps 8 out of 10 rather than 8 out of 10.

That's definitely been the case in SFO. I fly internationally into SFO about 5 times a year on average, and on every occasion I can remember my priority-stickered bags have been among the first out.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 4:19 pm

You should have thanked him and asked for your baggage tag not to get the priority treatment. IME when baggage handlers see priority that just means chuck it harder! Also, in the past several months I've had a UA Gold and checked bags, I haven't noticed a difference on the bag coming out first. Keep in mind many travellers can get this benefit through Premier Access a $10-$20 add-on for many flights which also includes priority boarding Often times I've see non-priority bags come out first (especially arriving in YYZ & YOW). This is arguably the least useful *A benefit imaginable and hardly worth any argument.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Aug 13, 2018, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by zeer0
*G is eligible to receive complimentary Premier Access so so will their companion(s).
OP - would you mind sharing why you come up with this conclusion, even the language does not specify this?

(Note - as many pointed out, the footnote applies to M+ elite only, not *G.)
Old Aug 13, 2018, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Keep in mind many travellers can get this benefit through Premier Access a $10-$20 add-on for many flights which also includes priority boarding
Utility aside, this is false. The baggage benefit is explicitly excluded from the Premier Access package that's available for sale. It's only included as a status benefit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.