FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   CA Wildfire Cancel Trip to Tahoe/Sacramento (SMF), refund? if Basic Economy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1924035-ca-wildfire-cancel-trip-tahoe-sacramento-smf-refund-if-basic-economy.html)

Colin Aug 9, 2018 2:38 pm

bad original advice, only slightly less bad follow up advice

i’d be willing to bet the under at 4 calls of agent shopping to salvage full value of fare paid

COSPILOT Aug 9, 2018 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by laxmillenial (Post 30065739)
Ditto. @Boraxo, you're factually incorrect. Many of us have documented posts and experiences with UA refunding us money on 100% non-refundable tickets. This invalidates your point where you said "UA does not refund...does not matter...". The OP is not a SOL. While many of our experiences depend on the 'graciousness/mercy' of the employees, we have posted that in our advice to the OP. Sure, the chances are slim, but not SOL.

In fact, I think the OP has a good chance of being refunded/travel credit/dates moved. This is a natural disaster with real-world impacts being felt. It's not just a "my meeting got cancelled and I want a refund" kind of request.

Would sort of agree, this more of a "my hotel burned to the ground" or my clients are in "survival mode" and not prepared to meet now. I've never lied to UA, ever. But the two times in ten years I've needed to change or cancel do to events out of my control, UA didn't blink in helping me, Neither did Hilton as well. Car rentals don't matter, yet...

NorCal is a hot mess with the fires currently, if only based on the pictures from my friends. Clients in Colorado canceled meetings in 2013 because of the fires and floods. Worst UA can say is no.

jsloan Aug 9, 2018 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by laxmillenial (Post 30065739)
In fact, I think the OP has a good chance of being refunded/travel credit/dates moved.

If OP were on a regular economy fare, I'd agree. On Basic Economy, I'm much less sure. There have only been a few IRROPS reports and they're hit or miss -- I remember one report where a flight went MX, the BE customer was reassigned, and reservations refused to touch what the computer had done, citing BE.

Absent a travel waiver, there's a good chance UA is going to be inflexible here. The punitive nature of these fares is intentional; while it might be nice if UA would be flexible, I'm not sure it's good business.

mduell Aug 9, 2018 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Colin (Post 30065568)
i’ve gotten several UA refunds for far more trivial reasons

Any for BE?

uastarflyer Aug 9, 2018 4:27 pm

A request of change of dates (same origin and destination) I would see a pretty good chance of being doable. The BE aspect not impacting this either.

nomad420 Aug 9, 2018 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by COSPILOT (Post 30065831)
Would sort of agree, this more of a "my hotel burned to the ground" or my clients are in "survival mode" and not prepared to meet now. I've never lied to UA, ever. But the two times in ten years I've needed to change or cancel do to events out of my control, UA didn't blink in helping me, Neither did Hilton as well. Car rentals don't matter, yet...

NorCal is a hot mess with the fires currently, if only based on the pictures from my friends. Clients in Colorado canceled meetings in 2013 because of the fires and floods. Worst UA can say is no.

Your right the worst they can say is no. As noted this is probably for the Chase board but I would then go to Chase's travel insurance as I did. They (Chase) were with Chubb and they were great, now I heard they changed from Chubb so maybe a bit more red tape and push back.

garkster Aug 10, 2018 8:18 pm

Can't see why fare class should matter, i.e. BE vs. Y, but agree that unless there's a travel waiver you shouldn't expect a refund.

After all, in 1989, would anyone have expected that tickets into SMF would've been refunded due to the Loma Prieta earthquake and its impact on the SF Bay area? Hint for those of you who don't live out here, SMF is roughly halfway between SFO and Lake Tahoe.

Coskigirl Aug 10, 2018 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by garkster (Post 30070137)
Can't see why fare class should matter, i.e. BE vs. Y, but agree that unless there's a travel waiver you shouldn't expect a refund.

Because part of the risk with the lower cost is eating the entire cost if you decide to change your plans. Until a waiver is issued UA is well within their right to say this is a personal choice.

jsloan Aug 10, 2018 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by Coskigirl (Post 30070351)
Because part of the risk with the lower cost is eating the entire cost if you decide to change your plans. Until a waiver is issued UA is well within their right to say this is a personal choice.

Precisely. With a regular economy fare, the pax is asking for the change fee to be waived; based on the board, that's something that seems to happen from time to time. With basic economy, there is no change fee, because no changes are allowed. You're asking for a bigger waiver.

Also, while I don't fault anyone for taking the lowest available fare, UA has consistently treated BE passengers as though they had a big scarlet "Group 5" tattooed to their forehead. This psychology is intentional -- it's an up-sell tactic. "Didn't like that experience? Buy regular economy next time." (The thought that a passenger might try another airline entirely next time doesn't seem to enter into the occasion). You can expect that this was emphasized strongly in the BE training for phone agents.

UA's argument will be that a passenger assumed these risks by purchasing a discounted, no-changes ticket.

climmy Aug 12, 2018 10:25 am

Yesterday was the first time in a week I could see the entire periphery of the lake so it's clear at least yesterday and today