Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What do you do when you get a really poor phone agent?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2018, 1:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

I've been very lucky in my dealings with UA. Generally the 1K agents I've dealt with range from average to excellent. This is the first time in a while I've had a poor one. We're 45 minutes into the call right now, here's the short summary:
  1. The issue with my reservation was that it included an Air Canada segment which wouldn't ticket. This took maybe 10-15 mins to establish;
  2. I said if that was the problem, I'll change the flights to a different flight not operated by Air Canada. He insisted that it would still cause an error because their reservation systems don't connect to Air Canada. It took another 3 times for him to understand that I will change the AC to a UA flight. I then gave new flight numbers etc... and he priced out the ticket
  3. He then insisted my middle name needs to go on the reservation because its on my passport, even though it isn't on my united profile. After adding the middle name he wasn't able to add my mileageplus number because it didn't match (due to the middle name being missing from my profile). He said he was going to have to ticket it without my mileageplus number (no way! I wanted to apply a GPU and the flight was R1). After insisting that I fly all the time and have never had a problem with this, he deleted the middle name and it worked fine. Side note - he then asked for my US passport number (my CA + AU passports are both saved to my profile. I don't plan on becoming a US citizen any time soon)
  4. Gave payment information etc...
  5. Then had to give this guy the answer to all of my security questions to use the upgrade, which took another 5 minutes to apply. It appeared to clear online, but for some reason I'm now on hold for another 10 minutes while he confirms something or other.
Final count on the call was 55 minutes. How on earth this took 55 minutes is beyond my comprehension. I realize I should have hung up after #2 , but I don't want to be a jerk and I figured the hard part was probably over and it was smooth sailing from there. Is there any kind of etiquette on HUACA? Especially if the agent is already in your profile and reservation?

That's my rant for the evening. And yes, I know these are first world problems
Old Aug 4, 2018, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

HUCA?
Old Aug 4, 2018, 4:03 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by kale73
HUCA?
Hang up and call again (HUCA). Just be sure thet you nicely say goodbye to the agent to avoid any notation on your reservation. Otherwise, you will have trouble with the next agent, too.
munster182 likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 4:09 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Huca huca huca
Old Aug 4, 2018, 5:28 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
I've been lucky in that I haven't gotten a UA agent less than "good" in years (on a scale of "excellent" to "horrible"/"Delta"), but when I find myself HUCAing elsewhere I roll with a polite excuse -- someone at the door, conference call, etc. And I'll call back later.

If they're rude or incompetent and surely (not just less than helpful/misinformed) I won't HUCA but I'll ask for a supervisor then and there.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 5:58 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I somewhat do the same. I politely say, excuse me I have another line to tend to.. I'm going to call back in a few minutes when I have a little bit more time. Thanks and have a nice day
Old Aug 4, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: United Gold
Good thread which the answer isn’t “HUACA”. The question asked was ‘when and how to pull the plug and still seem human”.

I too haven’t had to do this in a while but..
I live in Pittsburgh which has lots of tunnels and have been known to warn that I was getting ready to drive through a tunnel and might lose the call. And then I do.

Kannai likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
HUCA, HUCA...

"I"m sorry, I have a call that I've been waiting for all day. I'll have to call you back. Thank you."

"My wife's yelling something at me. I'll have to call you back. Thank you"

"OMG, our dog just pooped on the carpet. I'll have to call you back."

"The FBI is at my door, I'll have to call you back"
Old Aug 4, 2018, 7:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I agree with all the advice above, but will add another option. Depending on where in the process you are, "I have to do some more research on this and call back" works well.

It also appears you have some misunderstanding of the way GPUs work. You can apply a GPU to anyone's reservation regardless of whether they have an MP number or not. That would have applied to your reservation as well.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
Originally Posted by SFO777
"The FBI is at my door, I'll have to call you back"
"It's that damned witch hunt..."
Old Aug 4, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Oh boy, at this point, today, tomorrow and several times before you fly I would call and check on that reservation. Go over the name, spelling, all segments of the itinerary. Confirm the booking number and get the ticket number. Better now than when you are standing at a gate or ticket counter with a messed up reservation. (eye roll) - this is the world we live in.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 9:11 pm

I'm sorry, my spouse is calling me, could you hold on a second, please? .... (loosely cups phone and yells over the shoulder) Honey, I'm on a call with United, is it important? .... What? .... No, I can't right now ... but ... oh, OK, hold on ... (back to the phone) Sorry, she (or he, as approprite) needs me right away to help with [dinner / lunch / taking care of the kids / cleaning up after the dog]. I know you've put a lot of effort into this, [Larry / Mabel / whatever the name you jotted down when they answered was] and I really appreciate it, but I need to call back. I'll just (over shoulder) I'm coming! (back to phone) sorry, I need to go now. I'll try again later this evening. Thanks so much.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Some good suggestions here. Many more than my 1am brain could think of at the time
Old Aug 4, 2018, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold (1K 2016–2023 by miracle extensions; RIP 1K status), 1MM
I, for one, thank you for your patience. Maybe this person learned something that he can apply when he's on the phone with me.
Aussienarelle and Coskigirl like this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I've learned the hard way with UA: as soon as you realize an agent doesn't have all their marbles, politely end the call and try again.

I made the mistake of continuing on with a particularly dimwitted agent while trying to change an award that included LH F (I was changing only UA segments). In the process she somehow deleted the entire ticket and couldn't get the LH segments back. She said there was nothing to be done and ended the call.

Called back, that agent wouldn't touch it.

Called again, same story.

Eventually I got through to an angel of an agent who looped in the *A liaison and someone from LH and together they managed to put the itinerary back together.

Lesson learned: if they sound stupid, just get off the phone as fast as you can before they damage anything.

Originally Posted by FlyingNone
Oh boy, at this point, today, tomorrow and several times before you fly I would call and check on that reservation. Go over the name, spelling, all segments of the itinerary. Confirm the booking number and get the ticket number. Better now than when you are standing at a gate or ticket counter with a messed up reservation. (eye roll) - this is the world we live in.
Most importantly, reconfirm the ticket with the *operating carriers* and not just UA. SOP for any complicated award, really.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.