Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Compensation for Lollapalooza Tickets (due to canceled flight-consequential damages?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compensation for Lollapalooza Tickets (due to canceled flight-consequential damages?)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2018, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Had my 9AM LGA-ORD today (Fri) flight canceled at 6PM EDT yesterday (Thurs). The soonest UA could rebook me was 6AM Saturday. Reason for cancellation was "severe weather in our route network". I have tickets to Lollapalooza that I cannot use or sell, because the tickets are wristbands and not electronic. I would like to seek reimbursement for the Lollapalooza tickets due to the following reason:
  1. How can they cancel a flight 15 hours before departure due to "severe weather". They certainly could have dead-headed a plane to replace the flight.
  2. UA had 8 other flights that could have gotten me to Chicago in time for the concert. They automatically rebooked me on Saturday, when I called last night, they said they couldn't rebook for Friday.
  3. Weather is clear at flight time - both LGA and ORD. There was no severe weather in the area for several hours prior to my original flight time.
Do I have any shot at getting reimbursement, and if so, are there any steps I should follow?
Old Aug 3, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: 1K
Did you try calling again - sometimes other agents are more helpful? I would just go to the airport and standby. LGA has hourly flights and I'm sure you'd get on a flight. Weather is nice here in Chicago, though I have no idea on weather in NYC area. You could also look into EWR.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by LarrySinNJ
Do I have any shot at getting reimbursement, and if so, are there any steps I should follow?
Under these circumstances, your chances of reimbursement are exceedingly low. First, it's a weather-related cancellation, and UA would disclaim any liability for that, and second, the loss of your tickets would be considered consequential damages, which are excluded from recovery under the Contract of Carriage (for a domestic flight).

Originally Posted by SkiPremier
Did you try calling again - sometimes other agents are more helpful? I would just go to the airport and standby. LGA has hourly flights and I'm sure you'd get on a flight. Weather is nice here in Chicago, though I have no idea on weather in NYC area. You could also look into EWR.
I agree... try to stand by somewhere.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
You can always ask but it's highly unlikely. UA (or any airline) has no obligation to compensate passengers for missed events.

Weather issues do not have to be happening on that specific route in order to adversely impact other parts of the network.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 9:20 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Go to the airport and standby at the gate for every flight.

UA won't pay for the infinite universe of things that could result of them having to delay/cancel a flight.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 10:46 am

I see plenty of flight for sale today - I don't understand why they can't rebook you.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
This is exactly why I buy travel insurance.
eastindywalrus likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What credit card did you book the flights with? Many offer insurance for things like pre-paid bookings that can no longer be used as a result of flight disruptions.

And, like the others suggest, if you want to go to the show then go to LGA and try to fly standby. The delays are growing but odds are a seat will open on something.
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:50 am

I would say the prospects of getting out today via LGA look much worse than I would have expected. Already a couple cancellations, and there are currently a couple (soon to be a few) dozen aircraft waiting to takeoff, and traffic not moving due to fixes being closed to WX. At least with EWR you can be a bit creative to get to ORD.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: AA ExPlat | UA Gld | DL Gld
You can still get there today, A. Call until you get an agent that will help you some are nicer than others and just keep calling till one will help. (look at the load of flights and tell them the specific flight you want to be switched to)
or plan B like everyone says go to the airport and fly standby.

There is no way UA will reimburse you for missing a day of a show.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
If an airline was responsible for every lost opportunity for most of us sales people because of delayed or canceled flights, all of us would be rich, but there wouldn't be anymore airlines to fly, they would all be out of business.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Had my 9AM LGA-ORD today (Fri) flight canceled at 6PM EDT yesterday (Thurs). The soonest UA could rebook me was 6AM Saturday. Reason for cancellation was "severe weather in our route network". I have tickets to Lollapalooza that I cannot use or sell, because the tickets are wristbands and not electronic. I would like to seek reimbursement for the Lollapalooza tickets due to the following reason:
[*]How can they cancel a flight 15 hours before departure due to "severe weather". They certainly could have dead-headed a plane to replace the flight.
My guess is due to disruptions on Thursday they won't have a legal crew and plane available on Friday morning. They had to pick a flight to cancel, so they cancelled one in a high frequency market.

[*]UA had 8 other flights that could have gotten me to Chicago in time for the concert. They automatically rebooked me on Saturday, when I called last night, they said they couldn't rebook for Friday.
My guess without looking is all those 8 flights are fully booked.

[*]Weather is clear at flight time - both LGA and ORD. There was no severe weather in the area for several hours prior to my original flight time.
"Several hours" is a comically short window to be looking at.

No.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
My co-worker missed a Broadway show in NYC and United reimbursed for their tickets after a mechanical delay. The value of the reimbursement covered the cost of the original tickets. They had to pay up for seats the next night given they had to purchase from a broker, but that didn't phase them.

Knowing their character, they asked nicely but firmly. They also have Premier Platinum status which may have helped as well.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 6:27 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gernabae
I would say the prospects of getting out today via LGA look much worse than I would have expected. Already a couple cancellations, and there are currently a couple (soon to be a few) dozen aircraft waiting to takeoff, and traffic not moving due to fixes being closed to WX. At least with EWR you can be a bit creative to get to ORD.
This. UA canceled seven flights between LGA and ORD today. I realize it is too late now, but had the OP gone to EWR, he could have made UA3425 EWR-PIT and UA1574, PIT-ORD.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FightingIlliniUAL
My co-worker missed a Broadway show in NYC and United reimbursed for their tickets after a mechanical delay. The value of the reimbursement covered the cost of the original tickets. They had to pay up for seats the next night given they had to purchase from a broker, but that didn't phase them.

Knowing their character, they asked nicely but firmly. They also have Premier Platinum status which may have helped as well.
MX delay is on United and what they cover etc is much more comprehensive

The delay the OP is talking about is 100% weather and if he lives in the NYC area, he knows the weather the entire east coast has been dealing with lately.

Weather or ATC delays are the same thing as far as the airlines are powerless to do anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.