Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Relentless UA In-Flight Credit Card Pumping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2018, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus, Miles and More

Recently my work has required flying frequent transcons from IAD to SAN. In the last few trips, the credit card selling by flight attendants has grown more frequent and annoying. The low point came a few days ago on my "red eye," where FA's blasted their sales pitches mid flight. This was in addition to forcing passengers to watch the idiotic Tracee Ellis Ross commercials on their seatback monitors with the ability to turn them off disabled.Clearly, the crew was aware that some people try to sleep on overnight transcon flights. But why care about that when there's a $60 reward for each application submitted? The net result of this relentless pitching is that flight attendants will soon get the same level of respect as telemarketers and spammers. Passengers will get in the habit of ignoring any of their "announcements," even the safety warnings. Or they will attempt to escape with noise-cancelling headphones. Flying is not the same thing as agreeing to sit through a time-share pitch in exchange for a hotel stay. But apparently, UA has decided that its customers are truly a "captive" audience that must and will submit.

Last edited by Alohashirt; Aug 2, 2018 at 6:18 am Reason: Weird html appeared in th epost.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 6:24 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Alohashirt
Recently my work has required flying frequent transcons from IAD to SAN. In the last few trips, the credit card selling by flight attendants has grown more frequent and annoying. The low point came a few days ago on my "red eye," where FA's blasted their sales pitches mid flight. This was in addition to forcing passengers to watch the idiotic Tracee Ellis Ross commercials on their seatback monitors with the ability to turn them off disabled.Clearly, the crew was aware that some people try to sleep on overnight transcon flights. But why care about that when there's a $60 reward for each application submitted? The net result of this relentless pitching is that flight attendants will soon get the same level of respect as telemarketers and spammers. Passengers will get in the habit of ignoring any of their "announcements," even the safety warnings. Or they will attempt to escape with noise-cancelling headphones. Flying is not the same thing as agreeing to sit through a time-share pitch in exchange for a hotel stay. But apparently, UA has decided that its customers are truly a "captive" audience that must and will submit.
Sorry. We all don't like it, but it's not "required" on every flight thanks to the UA executives. And I believe there's a $100 reward.

Invest in some noise cancelling headphones. And of course, if you want to try and fly an airline that doesn't blast a CC announcement, your choices start dwindling rather quickly...

Just remember, it's an "enhancement based on passenger feedback!"
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus, Miles and More
If you want to try and fly an airline that doesn't blast a CC announcement, your choices start dwindling rather quickly...
My problem is with them doing it repeatedly and mindlessly mid-flight on overnight transcons. Plenty of other airlines limit the pitches to either the end of the flight or the beginning. So did United, until recently.

Last edited by Alohashirt; Aug 2, 2018 at 7:15 am Reason: typo
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Alohashirt
My problem is with them doing it repeatedly and mindlessly mid-flight on overnight transcons. Plenty of other airlines limit the pitches to either the end of the flight or the beginning. So did United, until recently.
I suggest that anyone who doesn't like the practice register their displeasure with UA. Personally, I find it obnoxious at any time, but mid-flight on a redeye sounds like a crew deliberately trying to get passengers to complain.

I can't imagine that UA's flight attendants took the job because they wanted to become shills for Chase. I'm sure many of them are just as unhappy as the passengers are.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
And there are plenty of airlines that don't do credit card pitches over the PA - maybe a brief commercial on the streamed IFE if that. Delta, Alaska, JetBlue, and Southwest come to mind.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Austin787
And there are plenty of airlines that don't do credit card pitches over the PA - maybe a brief commercial on the streamed IFE if that. Delta, Alaska, JetBlue, and Southwest come to mind.
Huh? JetBlue does this all the time.

TrueBlue Mastercard, PA gets made after the snack service with “flight attendants now coming through the aisles with applications.”
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
We're getting Kirby'd... welcome to America West.

The first time I heard a United FA make one of these announcements, I had flashbacks.

Bethune, Tilton -- heck, even Jeff Smisek's airline -- had more class than this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Austin787
Delta seems to largely limit the credit card pitches to yelling at people in their hub airports. And if you're paying attention, you can generally move to the other side of the hall as you approach the sign-up stations .
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jsloan
I suggest that anyone who doesn't like the practice register their displeasure with UA. Personally, I find it obnoxious at any time, but mid-flight on a redeye sounds like a crew deliberately trying to get passengers to complain.

I can't imagine that UA's flight attendants took the job because they wanted to become shills for Chase. I'm sure many of them are just as unhappy as the passengers are.
Experienced this yesterday on ORD-SFO, before we departed. I just wrote into Customer Care voicing my displeasure.

- Luke
jsloan, bocastephen and Xyzzy like this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by clubord

Huh? JetBlue does this all the time.

TrueBlue Mastercard, PA gets made after the snack service with “flight attendants now coming through the aisles with applications.”
No credit card pitching on any of my JetBlue flights. YMMV, though.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum Thingy, United MileagePlus Silver, blah on others
American is worse.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Annoying on any flight, but on an overnight red-eye in the middle of the flight? Totally unacceptable! I would be livid.
JBord likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:05 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
When it was announced, the program was optional. It became a running joke amongst FAs (save for the ~100 or so in the system who actively pushed them)

It's now been made mandatory as of Sept. 2. (I think I forewarned of this in a post here at some point)

Please write in if you don't like it. Although, be warned that if you're on FT, you're likely not the target audience for these pitches anyways, and your feedback may not mean as much as it usually would as a 1K/GS.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by elperro
American is worse.
Doug Parker: "The best part of the IFE system was the commercial before every show. Let's keep that feature while removing the actual IFE!"
Miggles and elperro like this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fezzington
It's now been made mandatory as of Sept. 2. (I think I forewarned of this in a post here at some point)

Please write in if you don't like it. Although, be warned that if you're on FT, you're likely not the target audience for these pitches anyways, and your feedback may not mean as much as it usually would as a 1K/GS.
Yes, I remember that post.

And I did write in, and while you're right that we're not the target audience, it's going to take a lot of credit card sign-ups to make up for a HVF defection. (I'm not an HVF, but..

I still recall the first time that I saw one of these (on US). It made the entire airline feel cheap. (Of course, US already had a reputation for that...) It was the first time that I had flown US in years, and it certainly didn't make me want to go back.
lincolnjkc likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.