Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Refund for ground transportation after misconnect?

Old Aug 1, 2018, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

My girlfriend was flying XXX-SFO-STS yesterday evening. Due to a long mechanical delay on the first flight, she ended up misconnecting to the last STS flight of the day. UA offered her a hotel near SFO and a confirmed seat on the first STS flight this morning which wasn't until almost 11am. Considering SFO-STS is United's shortest flight, she opted to take Uber to her destination and cancel the rebooked segment.

We've already requested a refund for the unused segment, but we also requested a refund of the $120 Uber fare as well. Anyone have any experiences with UA refunding ground transportation costs in situations like this? We did mention this was in lieu of a hotel stay which they offered and just about every hotel near SFO would be more than the Uber fare.

Any input would be appreciated!
Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Generally either/or for reimbursement and refund, but as goodwill you may get both. If you've already written, not much to do now.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Unless agreed to beforehand with UA, you’re highly unlikely to get reimbursed for something like that.

If you write in, they may be nice enough to give you a gesture - partial ETC or miles, but since UA offered you a rebook to your destination and you refused, and on your own used third party ground transport, the cost is on you.

Note a redund of the final segemnt may not amoubt amount to much, or even anything.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
UA will sometimes issue taxi vouchers which you then use as payment. Very unlikely it will reimburse after-the-fact unless OP had an agreement from UA to do so and it is in the PNR notes.

This does strike me as a rather easy travel insurance claim, although most insurance would reduce the reimbursement by any refund for the ticket (which, depending on where "XXX" is, might be a little or a lot).

Unless "XXX" is code for Area 51, it would be helpful to know where that is and the fare breakdown. People here can then provide the likely refund.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:21 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by WakeTurbulence
... We've already requested a refund for the unused segment, but we also requested a refund of the $120 Uber fare as well. ....
One or the other -- but not both -- likely not the full amount for the expensive Uber. There maybe some delay goodwill offer.

BTW, for the future, Uber is a poor choice to get to STS. There is a regular 4-stop (San Rafael, Petaluma, Santa Rosa fairgrounds, STS) nearly hourly Airport Express bus service for $36. In the evening buses every 90 minutes (9:30PM, 11PM, 12:30PM-- well after the last STS flight 10:50PM) -- years ago UA had an agreement with the bus service

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 1, 2018 at 8:31 pm Reason: bus times
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
BTW, for the future, Uber is a poor choice to get to STS. There is a regular 4-stop (San Rafael, Petaluma, Santa Rosa fairgrounds, STS) nearly hourly Airport Express bus service for $36
If the OP missed the last flight of the night (22:50), the only Express option would be the 00:30. It's likely the OP got in later than that, or else didn't want to wait for it.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 6:29 am

Programs: EK PLAT 2022-2023, UAplat soon to be LH senator!
all the times i have misconnected in DEN, i have never been given a taxi/shuttle voucher to COS....i have been fairly lucky to get a involuntary refund on the den-cos leg that it sometimes offsets the cost of a oneway car or uber.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
If the OP missed the last flight of the night (22:50), the only Express option would be the 00:30. It's likely the OP got in later than that, or else didn't want to wait for it.
By the time her bags were offloaded and claimed it was around 1am otherwise the bus would have been an option. We’re not expecting much other than a partial refund for the forfeited leg which probably won’t be much. I’ll definitely report back if they offer any type of full/partial refund for the Uber.

Thabks for the replies!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.