Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have UA / United Vacations canceled my vacation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: ba executive, AA advantage,

Back a couple months ago I made four reservations for four couples (different PNR's) hotel was included at United.com. I wanted to check the reservations at United's website three weeks ago and put in my PNR and name and got a message that reads

Your itinerary cannot be retrieved, since it does not contain any active flight segments. If you require assistance, please contact United Reservations

Confirmation number: XXXXXX

Ticket status: This reservation has been canceled and refunded/voided as applicable.

So I called United reservations and was told I should have receive a email explaining what happened It has been three weeks and no email. Called reservations again and was told the same thing. Should I be worried? Two out of the four reservations are good and I get the above message for mine and one other couple.

United doesn't seem to have any idea what is going on so I thought I would ask here since the people here seem to have more knowledge than the people on the phone. Any help would be appreciated.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Did you receive an email with ticket numbers from United when you made the initial bookings?

Regardless, you should press the reps to find someone who can explain and reinstate the bookings. Even if an email was sent that doesn't excuse them not being able to give further details on the phone.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Should you be worried- YES.
Do you have a reservation- most likely not
Something seems amiss here as agent not wanting to talk to you about it seems strange. Maybe some more details as "sbm12" says- did you get a ticket number confirmation? Was your credit card charged? Was this a miles ticket- from someone else?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Don't wait for weeks. Pick up the phone and call again, and again, and again, and again, until you get someone who is willing to help you. Ask for a supervisor.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:43 am

Sounds like a security issue to me. Either something with a credit card, or using miles from a third party?
jsn55 likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:56 am
Original Poster

When I made the reservations I did get a confirmation and it said all was good. Got a confirmation number, my cc was charged and it went through.
I just got through to United Vacations and the supervisor called United. They said there is a computer glitch ( on their end) and it has been about 3 weeks now. I'm sorry but if they have known about this problem why is it taking almost a month to take care of it?. She said as far as they can tell everything is ok. That really don't give me a warm fuzzy feeling.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
That isn't good enough. UA Vacations is not UA.

Confirmations are not e-tickets and you need an e-ticket number for each of the 8 passengers. PNR confirmations are not that.

Do a three-way call with Vacations and UA if need be.
dm6214 likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dm6214
When I made the reservations I did get a confirmation and it said all was good. Got a confirmation number, my cc was charged and it went through.
I just got through to United Vacations and the supervisor called United. They said there is a computer glitch ( on their end) and it has been about 3 weeks now. I'm sorry but if they have known about this problem why is it taking almost a month to take care of it?. She said as far as they can tell everything is ok. That really don't give me a warm fuzzy feeling.
Originally Posted by Often1
That isn't good enough. UA Vacations is not UA.

Confirmations are not e-tickets and you need an e-ticket number for each of the 8 passengers. PNR confirmations are not that.

Do a three-way call with Vacations and UA if need be.
Something odd going on here. If it was just a "computer glitch" the obvious thing for UA to do is just cancel it and enter a new reservation. And, yes, they should honor the original price if it has changed.
dm6214 and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:34 am
Original Poster

I have gone back to the original email from United and I have found E-ticket numbers if that makes any difference. With the e-ticket numbers I still feel uncomfortable.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:37 am

I have gone back to the original email from United and I have found E-ticket numbers if that makes any difference. With the e-ticket numbers I still feel uncomfortable.
If you have the eTicket numbers (they should be 13 digits, and I’m assuming start with 016), you can call UA and they should be able to look up those tickets.
Often1 and ezefllying like this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by rmadisonwi

If you have the eTicket numbers (they should be 13 digits, and I’m assuming start with 016), you can call UA and they should be able to look up those tickets.
The OP is just getting the run-a-round by calling , with NO positive answers or proof that his res is O.K.!
It appears that, as usual, when there are NO easy answers they just make one up to get him off the phone. After all, it's not their vacation.

OP go to united.com, and under reservations (look-up) - enter your 6 digit CONFIRMATION # and LAST NAME. This will tell you about your flights (in fact do all 8 this way). As far as the other stuff you purchased from United Vacations, if you're still worried, call-em back, over & over, until they can send you a proof-positive e-mail about that portion of your trip.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Two Bee
The OP is just getting the run-a-round by calling , with NO positive answers or proof that his res is O.K.!
It appears that, as usual, when there are NO easy answers they just make one up to get him off the phone. After all, it's not their vacation.
While I agree with you that the OP is getting the run-a-round, I would not say that they are making answers up to get him off the phone.

There are reasons (mainly security reasons) that are handled by a special department and front-line agents cannot disclose this. Unless he is talking to the 'right' department (if it is a security issue), they cannot tell him why, how, when, or who, etc. It must come from someone 'qualified' to handle such cases.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please confirm that this was 100% a straightforward purchase situation. There were no mile awards for either purchase or upgrade involved?

I could certainly see how eight tickets bought for four difference couples could cause something to go into review as that is a bit unusual. Did you do something like assign your MP number to more than one set?

Last edited by milepig; Aug 1, 2018 at 4:57 pm
Old Aug 1, 2018, 12:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Often1
... UA Vacations is not UA. .....
This is absolutely a key point.

United Vacations (not UA Vacations) is a third party travel agent and they are responsible to notify you when there is a ticketing issue.
Experience with United Vacations
worldwidedreamer and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
While I agree with you that the OP is getting the run-a-round, I would not say that they are making answers up to get him off the phone.

There are reasons (mainly security reasons) that are handled by a special department and front-line agents cannot disclose this. Unless he is talking to the 'right' department (if it is a security issue), they cannot tell him why, how, when, or who, etc. It must come from someone 'qualified' to handle such cases.
So how does one get to the special department qualified guru dude at the right department, who can tell him if he can go on vacation, or not?

It would really be of the utmost importance for many to know who to call, and then get transferred to, when we don't see our itineraries available anymore, and what line to spin when attempting to get a straight answer!

I suggest when he finally manages to get thru to the special top-tier folks and wants a copy of his paid for itinerary, he give them my secret poop --- pepperoni-classic music, and dachshund.
dm6214 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.