Erratic behavior from united.com

Old Jul 30, 18, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MP 1K/Onepass Plat 1MM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Erratic behavior from united.com

united.com has been extremely erratic when attempting to log on from the same computer for over a week,

Sometimes it lets me in. Often it refuses.

It usually lets me in from Internet Explorer, but I hate that browser and prefer Firefox.

No problems from my iPhone though, except the interface lacks functionality.

Am I the only one?
Old Jul 30, 18, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
I just tried to make a booking for a flight and car and it took me two tries. Not unusual in my experience. The app is usually smooth but as you said it lacks all the functionality.
Old Jul 30, 18, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
If it's working on one browser and not another from the same user/machine, I would bet that the error is on your side and not on United.com.

How does it "refuse" to give you access? I'm assuming you've cleared all configurations/cookies on Firefox?
Old Jul 30, 18, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA Platinum (Lifetime), United GS, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-la Diamond, Marriott Platinum
i've had the same problem... the site gives an error message and tells me to contact mileage plus.

that's on safari... on firefox, i can sign in with no problems.
Old Jul 30, 18, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 1K (until 2021), *G for "life", Global Entry, Hertz PC, Cadbury's Rum and Raisin Emeritus
Remove all cookies, candy, alcohol, small children, family pets, clear cache, mutter the Lord's Prayer backwards, delete all social media accounts, rub a bald Irishman for luck, kick the cat (or your neighbours if you don't have one), pay for the person behind you in the drive thru Starbucks (first check that it is not a 7 or more seater), promise never to text while driving, touch wood, stroke a rabbit (the animal), and whistle the theme tune to I Dream of Jeannie, mutter that aren't policemen/women looking younger, learn what FOMO means and try not to forget, always promise to switch to airplane mode immediately when told to do so, help an old lady across the road whether she wants to go or not, and then it should all work. I think I covered most of what I do.
Old Jul 30, 18, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Yup, just gotta purge your cookies and you’ll feel better.
Old Jul 30, 18, 10:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Silver Fox View Post
Remove all cookies,....
That is usually sufficent, the rest are just personal preferences.
Old Jul 31, 18, 12:54 am

Programs: United 1k, Hilton Diamond
Just had the same problem on Chrome to contact Mileage Plus. I removed all United cookies and then tried again and received the new website interface and was able to log in. For the past 2 days, I also could not log into Mileageplus shopping, but could do so now too.
Old Jul 31, 18, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Been having this issue a lot. Called in and they can't see any issues but told me to just close the browser and try again. That's worked every time. Without even clearing cookies. So not sure what's up with it.
Old Jul 31, 18, 2:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS 75K; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
The explanation is highly technical and those of you without advanced degrees in cs will not understand.

Their new website sucks eggs.
Old Jul 31, 18, 6:45 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Yeah, it is a train wreck for sure.......

I get the new site about 30% of the time and they haven't managed to keep me logged in once. I have cleared so many cookies the Keebler elves showed up on my doorstep to help me make more cookies.
Collierkr and Kacee like this.
Old Jul 31, 18, 8:54 am

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott LTPP / Ambassador
Originally Posted by UK Stages View Post
i've had the same problem... the site gives an error message and tells me to contact mileage plus.

that's on safari... on firefox, i can sign in with no problems.
That's the error message that I received also, on Chrome.

I rebooted and everything was fine....

Very strange.
Old Jul 31, 18, 9:10 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by LHR Wannabee View Post
Just had the same problem on Chrome to contact Mileage Plus. I removed all United cookies and then tried again and received the new website interface and was able to log in. For the past 2 days, I also could not log into Mileageplus shopping, but could do so now too.
BTW, the new website look sucks! I haven't been able to get it to save my MP number, and it keeps reverting between some new look and some old.

Last edited by Collierkr; Jul 31, 18 at 9:11 am Reason: typo
Old Jul 31, 18, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 1K (until 2021), *G for "life", Global Entry, Hertz PC, Cadbury's Rum and Raisin Emeritus
The other thing I noticed with the old site is that I have been logged in for at least a week without it timing me out (and no, it is not the "fake login" you sometimes get when you think you are logged in but aren't really) and I can book tickets and change seats without getting any "it's been a while so we expired the session" messages.
Old Jul 31, 18, 12:29 pm

Programs: United 1K, 1.7MM
Couldn't log in with my password this morning. Tried clearing cache, browsing history, etc., nothing worked, Called 1K desk and after a 45 minutes being passed back and forth from one person to another they asked me what browser I was using. Chrome, which I have been using for years and half the world uses was the problem. Changed to Firefox and there was no problem. But how does United IT screw up so badly that you can use Chrome? They are special!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: