UA Reinstates IAD-MIA

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 30, 18, 12:49 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
United Airlines Strengthens Domestic Route Network: Announces New Washington Dulles - Miami Service and Expands to 33 New Destinations in Four Months
July 30, 2018
CHICAGO, July 30, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today announced it will begin new daily service between its hub at Washington Dulles International Airport and Miami International Airport. United's newest route announcement builds on the airline's focus to offer its customers more opportunities to conveniently connect to more domestic and international destinations than ever before by boosting connectivity and expanding service from its seven U.S. gateways.

United is also increasing flying between its Washington Dulles hub and Orlando and Tampa. Beginning Nov. 28, 2018, through Jan. 6, 2019, United will increase to five daily flights to Orlando, and between Dec. 26, 2018, through Jan. 26, 2019, the airline will increase to four daily flights to Tampa.From Dec.19, 2018, through March 30, 2019, United will offer daily service between Washington Dulles and Miami and twice daily service during peak holiday travel, Dec. 24, 2018, through Jan. 6, 2019, with Airbus A319 aircraft. Tickets are now available for purchase.

In addition to its new service between Washington Dulles and Miami, United offers up to 16 daily flights to Miami from its hubs in Chicago, Denver, Houston, New York/Newark and San Francisco.

This year, United has expanded service throughout Florida including Key West, Fort Lauderdale, Fort Myers, Orlando, Tampa, Sarasota and West Palm Beach from its hubs in New York/Newark and Washington Dulles.
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 29, 18, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Ambassador
UA Reinstates IAD-MIA

Flights start on Dec. 19, 2018 with one daily roundtrip on A319
IAD 0815 MIA 1105
MIA 1324 IAD 1619

Second daily roundtrip operated from Dec. 24-Jan. 5 also with A319
IAD 1750 MIA 2040
MIA 0855 IAD 1150
seanp7, Billygreg, wxguy and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 29, 18, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
nice to see mainline!
Old Jul 29, 18, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K Marriott Gold IHG Ambassador SPG Gold
I was searching for flights to Miami in January. AA used to have IAD-MIA service twice daily and this time I did not see any nonstops. Did they discontinue? I wonder if this is why UA resumed service there. At any rate, I am glad to see flights once again to Miami.
Old Jul 29, 18, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Thank Christ. I'm originally from SFL and head to Miami at least once a month for business and flying into FLL always ended up being a problem. FINALLY.
Old Jul 29, 18, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC
Itd be nice if UA would build a UC in Terminal G...it is just dreadful otherwise to hang out there.
Old Jul 29, 18, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS
This is great. Now I dont need to drive from FLL to Coral Gables to visit my kids.

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post
Itd be nice if UA would build a UC in Terminal G...it is just dreadful otherwise to hang out there.
Id rather UA leave concourse G. That place has not changed in more than 30 years except for fresh coat of paints once every 5 years. TWA, Pan Am and Northwest all flew out of there. It would be nice for UA to go back to concourse F and reclaim the old Red Carpet Club, which was the best RCC at one time in the entire UA system.

Alternatively, go back to concourse J and those of us have gold or above status can use the Avianca lounge

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Jul 30, 18 at 10:42 pm
Old Jul 29, 18, 7:20 pm

Good news!

Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
nice to see mainline!
Now, would we rather have A319 (8F) or E175 (12F)?
Old Jul 29, 18, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL/UA G (SC/UC), Marriott LTP, Hyatt Exp, Uber Diamond
Originally Posted by radiowell View Post
Good news!

I much prefer the A319 cabin because I think UA did a good job with the cabin refurb. Given, the limited availability between IAD and MIA, this F cabin should book full, so I can't imagine upgrades being available.

Glad to see UA returning on this route. I realize that the South American flights are long gone, but a lounge an MIA would be nice, if even the Avianca lounge.
Old Jul 30, 18, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by radiowell View Post
Good news!

A319 ... because it is less likely to cancel in case of weather ... which is a concerns > 50% of the year. Upgrades are a crap shoot anyway.
CHOPCHOP767 likes this.
Old Jul 30, 18, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
A319 ... because it is less likely to cancel in case of weather ... which is a concerns > 50% of the year. Upgrades are a crap shoot anyway.
I wouldn't sniff at the difference in upgrade chances between A319 and E175. Choice between the two depends upon priorities.
Old Jul 30, 18, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer View Post
This is great. Now I dont need to drive from FLL to Coral Gables to visit my kids.

Id rather UA leave concourse G. That place has not changed in more than 30 years except for fresh Coast of paints once every 5 years. TWA, Pan Am and Northwest all flew out of there. It would be nice got UA to go back to concourse F and reclaim the old Red Carpet Club, which was the best RCC at one time in the entire UA system.

Alternatively, go back to concourse J and those of us have gold or above status can use the Aviancs Louge
Folks this service resumption is only seasonal thru March 30th. With AA dropping IAD-MIA who knows if United could make it work year round.

I agree that Concourse G is a dump. However I prefer FLL for many reasons even if I have do the drive down to Miami.
Old Jul 31, 18, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL/UA G (SC/UC), Marriott LTP, Hyatt Exp, Uber Diamond
Originally Posted by PacificClipper View Post

Folks this service resumption is only seasonal thru March 30th. With AA dropping IAD-MIA who knows if United could make it work year round.

I agree that Concourse G is a dump. However I prefer FLL for many reasons even if I have do the drive down to Miami.
Last time I was in EYW and flew with UA, I asked the GA if the flight was only seasonal and he replied that the flights there are supposed to be seasonal, but after the routes were launched, it looked like UA would maintain year round service. And they have. And they have added frequencies. I'm guessing UA will expand the schedule after the snow birding season concludes.

Second, AA dropping IAD marks a general withdrawal from IAD. After MIA goes, AA will only serve CLT, DFW, and LAX from IAD. AA decided long ago that it was concentrate on DCA as opposed to IAD.
Old Jul 31, 18, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA Silver (working on Gold), Hilton Dia, Marriott Plat, Radisson Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767 View Post
Second, AA dropping IAD marks a general withdrawal from IAD. After MIA goes, AA will only serve CLT, DFW, and LAX from IAD. AA decided long ago that it was concentrate on DCA as opposed to IAD.
Makes more sense to me than UA dropping JFK after the CO merger. DCA is more convenient for most people in the DMV area, except those in the farther reaches of Northern Virginia.
Old Jul 31, 18, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum Medallion
The FLL that was re-added a couple years back was initially seasonal. Let's see how MIA does. This is part of UA strategy to make IAD a connecting hub. They know domestic O&D will never be able to compete with DCA given its location.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: