Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club Snacks Chosen by a 4-Year-Old

United Club Snacks Chosen by a 4-Year-Old

Old Jul 27, 18, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Bluehen1 View Post
Trust me, I know that all too well. I used to work for a German company and every time I went to HQ, I came back with more than a few kilos of Haribo.
I worked with a German supplier who had custom made Haribos in the shape of microcentrifuge tubes. In practice, they looked decidedly NSFW.
Bluehen1, wrp96 and Marlin240 like this.
Old Jul 27, 18, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by docbert View Post
Is this DEN?

Last time I was there they didn't have the Swedish Fish, which was disappointing.

If you're not a fan of the Oreos, if you walk over to the other side of the club they usually have very good choc-chip cookies instead.

If you find which 4 year old it was, please be sure to thank them!
DEN has had that selection (including the chocolate chip cookies) for several months (or longer). Itís nice to see some of the stations offering something a bit different.
Old Jul 27, 18, 10:12 pm

Programs: United Premier 1k, Hertz Presidents Circle, Hilton Diamond
IAH Terminal E UC also has a similar setup except the oreos are bigger and it's only the cookie part, no cream filling
Old Jul 27, 18, 10:21 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Originally Posted by sfo View Post
Only adults that are not health conscience would enjoy that crap.
You rang?
Xyzzy, wrp96, LTBoston and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 27, 18, 10:25 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Originally Posted by mike2003242 View Post
IAH Terminal E UC also has a similar setup except the oreos are bigger and it's only the cookie part, no cream filling:
Well, maybe the cream filling was there at some point.
How else am I supposed to make double stuffed oreos?
wrp96 and Marlin240 like this.
Old Jul 28, 18, 12:57 am

Oreos may not be good or good for you but they are vegan.
Old Jul 28, 18, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by sfo View Post
Gold fish crackers, loaded with unhealthy salt, oreo's loaded with unhealthy sugar. Way to go UA, I don''t think any intellegent 4 year old would eat these so called snacks. Only adults that are not health conscience would enjoy that crap.
yes, Iím sure all the 4 year olds out there, before eating a snack, are evaluating whether to eat them based on their salt or sugar content - then rejecting them if it has too much. You mustíve snuck right into the mind of a 4 year old.

Obviously, Iím being sarcastic. No kid is going to reject this stuff. My daughter is only 3 and a half, and yeah, she loves goldfish (though we donít buy them regularly - theyíre more like an occasional treat) and would eat Oreos in a second. When weíre traveling, we typically bring our own snacks, but Iím also happy to let her have some stuff like this. Obviously not the whole jar, but if this keeps her happy on travel day (and it does), itís really not a problem.

As for adults, many are happy to indulge once in a while in a snack that brings them back to their childhood. Even health conscience adults are ok to indulge once in a while. And yes, Iíd grab some of these in the club - along with healthier options.

On the the other hand, if these kind of snacks arenít your thing, thereís a simple solution - simply donít eat them.
cawhite, rch4u and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 28, 18, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by mike2003242 View Post
IAH Terminal E UC also has a similar setup except the oreos are bigger and it's only the cookie part, no cream filling
I love those and wish I could get them regularly. The 'creme' detracts and distracts from the delicious double dutch cocoa flavour in the cookie.
Old Jul 30, 18, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k 1.5 MM
After all of this interesting discussion, my point is that for the $1000/year that my wife and I pay United for a club membership, they could try a little harder on the food. These snacks may appeal to some, but they are basically dirt-cheap junk food that probably appeals most to United's penny-pinching management. How about some nuts, olives, berries, dark chocolate? How about something locally sourced and unique to the club location? How about something seasonal? Cherries are in season right now and should be easy to get. Since the refresh of the food 2 or 3 years ago, it has been in a steady decline in my opinion.
Old Jul 30, 18, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MysteryTour View Post
After all of this interesting discussion, my point is that for the $1000/year that my wife and I pay United for a club membership, they could try a little harder on the food.
I think better food is coming. I also think it will cost you more than $1000/year for the privilege for both you - my opinion.
Old Jul 30, 18, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k 1.5 MM
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
I think better food is coming. I also think it will cost you more than $1000/year for the privilege for both you - my opinion.
Then I would hope they also raise the annual fee ($450) for the VISA card that gets you access to the club. $500/year for what I am getting now already has me seriously considering dropping my membership when it expires. Crowded and noisy clubs, marginal food and beverage offerings... the dedicated agents on hand for helping with IRROPs is the only thing weighing on the other side for me right now.
Old Jul 30, 18, 3:54 pm

Programs: United Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Then I would hope they also raise the annual fee ($450) for the VISA card that gets you access to the club. $500/year for what I am getting now already has me seriously considering dropping my membership when it expires. Crowded and noisy clubs, marginal food and beverage offerings... the dedicated agents on hand for helping with IRROPs is the only thing weighing on the other side for me right now.
If everyone that threatened to drop their membership did so, maybe the clubs would be less crowded!
Old Jul 30, 18, 4:24 pm

$500/year ... the dedicated agents on hand for helping with IRROPs is the only thing weighing on the other side for me right now.
Do you have more or less than 10 IRROPS situations per year where you want a UC agent? If it's only a handful of times a year, maybe better to just buy passes as need.
Old Jul 30, 18, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by zrs70 View Post
I forget which European airline, perhaps, LH, regularly stocks gummy candies in the lounge.
LX have gummy bears too! They have some of the most delicious colors, and ones I've not found anywhere else in the world. They provide small cups at ORD but I don't mind the awkward looks I get from fellow lounge pax when I fill that soup bowl to the top.
Old Jul 30, 18, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver
After all of this interesting discussion, my point is that for the $1000/year that my wife and I pay United for a club membership, they could try a little harder on the food. These snacks may appeal to some, but they are basically dirt-cheap junk food that probably appeals most to United's penny-pinching management. How about some nuts, olives, berries, dark chocolate? How about something locally sourced and unique to the club location? How about something seasonal? Cherries are in season right now and should be easy to get. Since the refresh of the food 2 or 3 years ago, it has been in a steady decline in my opinion.
if the snacks are so unappealing, and the snacks are what you consider the prime benefit of membership, then perhaps itís not worth the membership fee.

Theres lots of other reasons people join - better place to wait for flights, better IRROPS assistance, etc. This also, beleive it or not, is not the only food available - most that Iíve been to domestically have at least a soup or too, salad bar, desserts, etc. ORD has hot entrees. That is in addition to the bar which does have free drinks (even if they arenít prime brands). If the snacks are why you join, and itís not doing it for you, probably best to wait in the terminal and use the $1000 you save on Club memebrship to buy better snacks from vendors at the terminal. Problem solved.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: