Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2024, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The Polaris Lounge is United's Business class lounge for passengers in premium cabins on long-haul flights only. It is separate from the United Club locations and the arrivals lounge in SFO.

Currently there are PLs in EWR, IAD, IAH, LAX, ORD, and SFO.

Quick Guide to "Do I get access?"

Are you in Polaris (Business) class on a long-haul United metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, Europe, Africa, French Polynesia, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access at all airports the same-day. It does not matter if your flights are on the same ticket or same cabin.
  • "Same-day" is ambiguous and is interpreted differently by different agents with respect to itineraries that include an overnight connection. YMMV and this thread has examples both ways.
  • No guests. Unless on F on a partner.
  • Though not stated by United, includes AKL (Auckland, New Zealand) when service begins.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on UA you get access in EWR and SFO
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on UA you get access in SFO and EWR, even if SFO-EWR is a separate Y ticket.

Are you in Business/First class on a long-haul *A partner metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Africa, Middle East, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access only at the airport where the long-haul flight departs.
  • At other airports along your route, you may have access to the United Club or other *A lounges. See here: Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread
  • Though not on United's stated list, access includes long-haul partner flights to Africa, Middle East, New Zealand, etc.
  • Guests: First Class (on flights with both First and Business cabins) only: you can bring 1 guest. Business class 0 guests.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on NH you get access only in SFO, not at EWR
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on NH you don't get any Polaris Lounge access because there is no Polaris Lounge in NRT, and you aren't eligible for SFO or EWR.

Are you on a United or partner short-haul international flight to/from Guam, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, Colombia, or Ecuador?
Are you in Premium Economy, Economy Plus, or Economy on any flight?
  • You do not get access, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Are you on a United domestic flight, including P.S. flights EWR-LAX, EWR-SFO, BOS-SFO?
  • You do not get access to the Polaris Lounge, even if you're flying in First on a wide-body plane with lie-flat "Polaris" style seats, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Can I get access through status, membership, one-time pass, or any other method?
  • No.
What else do it need for access?
  • Reports indicate that most PL's require a passport in addition to boarding pass for access. Some locations may accept other forms of ID (driver's license, etc.). This appears to be a response to possible fraudulent attempts at access (e.g., double printing BPs for friends).
If eligible for access, who can I guest?
  • Only those departing on a *A airline in long-haul Int'l First on a plane w/ First and Business classes has guesting privileges. One guest only, and that guest must be departing on same flight, in any class..
  • Those in Polaris or qualifying International Business cannot guest another passenger.
  • If you are in an old Global First seat in United Polaris class, you cannot guest another passenger. No longer relevant

More info

UA website outlining access for Polaris Lounge access

Photo ID required?There have been numerous reports from all Polaris Lounges of a photo ID being requested upon entry. Apparently, there have been some attempts to enter the PL with another person's BP (such as a traveling companion's). Recently there are reports that only a passport (not driver's license) is accepted at some lounges.

Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAD Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & in-flight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Archive: Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2019, 5:34 am

Flying EWR-SFO-TPE. Will I have access in ewr? Or only sfo?
Old Jul 28, 2019, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by letsbeadventurers
Flying EWR-SFO-TPE. Will I have access in ewr? Or only sfo?
Access at EWR allowed if SFO-TPE is UA operated (UA871).
Old Jul 28, 2019, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Polaris lounge question. I am arriving on a Polaris flight on Tuesday night but my connecting (domestic) flight does not leave until early Wednesday morning. Can I use the Polaris lounge on Wednesday morning?
Generally should be fine I think, based on my own experiences, although someone in the PL access thread (post link, thread link) just reported a hiccup doing something similar.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 7:32 am

Polaris lounge question. I am arriving on a Polaris flight on Tuesday night but my connecting (domestic) flight does not leave until early Wednesday morning. Can I use the Polaris lounge on Wednesday morning?
My experience was a Polaris redeye from South America EZE connecting to a domestic First flight in IAH. No problems getting lounge access. I was told you have lounge access as long as flights are within 24 hours of each other.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 8:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by zitsky
I was told you have lounge access as long as flights are within 24 hours of each other.
Actually, the default rule is "same day," not 24 hours, and others have been denied if departure was not same calendar day.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 28, 2019 at 10:14 pm Reason: cleanup after move
Old Jul 28, 2019, 3:41 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by zitsky
My experience was a Polaris redeye from South America EZE connecting to a domestic First flight in IAH. No problems getting lounge access. I was told you have lounge access as long as flights are within 24 hours of each other.
Originally Posted by Kacee
Actually, the default rule is "same day," not 24 hours, and others have been denied if departure was not same calendar day.

There is a thread on this. Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread
Originally Posted by fumje
Generally should be fine I think, based on my own experiences, although someone in the PL access thread (post link, thread link) just reported a hiccup doing something similar.
Thank you to all of you. My flight leaves 13 hours after I arrive albeit the next day but all one PNR. I will certainly turn up to the Polaris lounge on Wednesday. There is always the Centurion lounge....
Old Jul 28, 2019, 3:44 pm

My wife and I and flying on Eva Air business from ORD. We will arrive on a separate booked ticket to ORD at 6pm. Will we be able to visit the Polaris lounge If we have our ticket on our phones from Eva Air?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Jscottt; Jul 28, 2019 at 3:59 pm
Old Jul 28, 2019, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Jscottt
My wife and I and flying on Eva Air business from ORD. We will arrive on a separate booked ticket to ORD at 6pm. Will be be able to visit the Polaris lounge If we have our ticket on our phones from Eva Air?

Thnaks in advance.
A mobile boarding pass would be OK but showing the e-ticket from your phone won't work.
Another option would be to print your boarding passes at a printer somewhere and show your paper boarding pass to the lounge dragon.

If a mobile boarding pass or a paper-issued boarding pass doesn't work for you, I'm sorry that you must go from Terminal 1 to Terminal 5 to get your boarding pass and come back to Terminal 1 and reclear security.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 4:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
flying ord-sfo-nrt

would we have polaris lounge access before our old-sfo flight that flight leaves at 7:35pm and then we have a night at sfo then our polaris flight leaves sfo at 10:35am i believe or around that time and goes to nrt
Old Jul 28, 2019, 7:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Thank you to all of you. My flight leaves 13 hours after I arrive albeit the next day but all one PNR. I will certainly turn up to the Polaris lounge on Wednesday. There is always the Centurion lounge....
Definitely worth trying!
Old Jul 28, 2019, 10:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
would we have polaris lounge access before our old-sfo flight that flight leaves at 7:35pm and then we have a night at sfo then our polaris flight leaves sfo at 10:35am i believe or around that time and goes to nrt
SFO on your Polaris departure date - YES
ORD or SFO on the day before -- this is unclear, the general experience had been no but some have had "exceptions" made (such as redeyes).
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Here's an interesting one for the group.

I am flying SFO-SIN-SFO as a mileage run (August 21-23). It's the 10:55 PM SFO-SIN departure (August 21), arriving SIN two days later at 6:15 AM (August 23). The return flight departs at 8:45 AM (August 23), arriving the same day in SFO at 9:05 AM (August 23).

I am in Polaris on SFO-SIN, but my upgrade may not clear SIN-SFO. Will I be able to access the Polaris Lounge in SFO when I arrive from SIN August 23? I will have arrived on a Polaris flight on the same day (August 23). There's just a long segment in Economy in between.

Thoughts?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:47 pm

One of those rare cases when you hope they enforce the "same day" provision instead of the 24-hour provision.

I have no idea if you'll get in. But note you'll need an onward boarding pass to clear security in SFO after customs dumps you landside.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by threeoh
One of those rare cases when you hope they enforce the "same day" provision instead of the 24-hour provision.
Except "same day" has generally been interpreted as "departure day," so the 21st, not the 23rd.

I suspect admission will be denied -- and, yes, if it's actually SFO-SIN-SFO, without an onward flight, it's a moot point anyway.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by rch4u
Here's an interesting one for the group.

I am flying SFO-SIN-SFO as a mileage run (August 21-23). It's the 10:55 PM SFO-SIN departure (August 21), arriving SIN two days later at 6:15 AM (August 23). The return flight departs at 8:45 AM (August 23), arriving the same day in SFO at 9:05 AM (August 23).

I am in Polaris on SFO-SIN, but my upgrade may not clear SIN-SFO. Will I be able to access the Polaris Lounge in SFO when I arrive from SIN August 23? I will have arrived on a Polaris flight on the same day (August 23). There's just a long segment in Economy in between.

Thoughts?
Interesting indeed...presuming you had another flight that got you beyond security at SFO (and for your sake, I hope not!) You might be able to argue that you’re still on your same-day arrival routing. If they let you in after a domestic connection sure seems like you should be let in after an international one!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.