Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2024, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The Polaris Lounge is United's Business class lounge for passengers in premium cabins on long-haul flights only. It is separate from the United Club locations and the arrivals lounge in SFO.

Currently there are PLs in EWR, IAD, IAH, LAX, ORD, and SFO.

Quick Guide to "Do I get access?"

Are you in Polaris (Business) class on a long-haul United metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, Europe, Africa, French Polynesia, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access at all airports the same-day. It does not matter if your flights are on the same ticket or same cabin.
  • "Same-day" is ambiguous and is interpreted differently by different agents with respect to itineraries that include an overnight connection. YMMV and this thread has examples both ways.
  • No guests. Unless on F on a partner.
  • Though not stated by United, includes AKL (Auckland, New Zealand) when service begins.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on UA you get access in EWR and SFO
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on UA you get access in SFO and EWR, even if SFO-EWR is a separate Y ticket.

Are you in Business/First class on a long-haul *A partner metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Africa, Middle East, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access only at the airport where the long-haul flight departs.
  • At other airports along your route, you may have access to the United Club or other *A lounges. See here: Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread
  • Though not on United's stated list, access includes long-haul partner flights to Africa, Middle East, New Zealand, etc.
  • Guests: First Class (on flights with both First and Business cabins) only: you can bring 1 guest. Business class 0 guests.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on NH you get access only in SFO, not at EWR
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on NH you don't get any Polaris Lounge access because there is no Polaris Lounge in NRT, and you aren't eligible for SFO or EWR.

Are you on a United or partner short-haul international flight to/from Guam, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, Colombia, or Ecuador?
Are you in Premium Economy, Economy Plus, or Economy on any flight?
  • You do not get access, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Are you on a United domestic flight, including P.S. flights EWR-LAX, EWR-SFO, BOS-SFO?
  • You do not get access to the Polaris Lounge, even if you're flying in First on a wide-body plane with lie-flat "Polaris" style seats, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Can I get access through status, membership, one-time pass, or any other method?
  • No.
What else do it need for access?
  • Reports indicate that most PL's require a passport in addition to boarding pass for access. Some locations may accept other forms of ID (driver's license, etc.). This appears to be a response to possible fraudulent attempts at access (e.g., double printing BPs for friends).
If eligible for access, who can I guest?
  • Only those departing on a *A airline in long-haul Int'l First on a plane w/ First and Business classes has guesting privileges. One guest only, and that guest must be departing on same flight, in any class..
  • Those in Polaris or qualifying International Business cannot guest another passenger.
  • If you are in an old Global First seat in United Polaris class, you cannot guest another passenger. No longer relevant

More info

UA website outlining access for Polaris Lounge access

Photo ID required?There have been numerous reports from all Polaris Lounges of a photo ID being requested upon entry. Apparently, there have been some attempts to enter the PL with another person's BP (such as a traveling companion's). Recently there are reports that only a passport (not driver's license) is accepted at some lounges.

Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAD Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & in-flight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Archive: Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:53 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
EZE-EWR-LAX Polaris/Business all the way. No problem accessing the PL at EWR and LAX. I did need to specifically scan my EWR-LAX boarding pass at LAX.

Old Jun 29, 2019, 1:09 pm

I booked in United First (Z fare) DEN-LAX-ORD-YUL. Ticket shows INTL but it is Canada. Any chances I can get into the LAX lounge?
No the ticket doesn't say Polaris on it.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
Originally Posted by tilhas
I booked in United First (Z fare) DEN-LAX-ORD-YUL. Ticket shows INTL but it is Canada. Any chances I can get into the LAX lounge?
No... Polaris lounge access is only for Int’l Long Haul flights to Europe, Asia, Oceania and certain South American destinations.

You will have access to regular United Clubs though as an Int’l Ticket to Canada.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 1:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Not a Polaris marketed ticket and UA specifical excludes transborder flights - and states those flyers have UC access instead.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...Ticket shows INTL...
It needs to show “Polaris Business” in additional to “INTL”.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As others replied already, no chance. Except that one time, I was going YUL-ORD-PVG with CPU for YUL-ORD and Y for ORD-PVG. At ORD I went to stop in the C16 club, and the agent said I should go next door to the Polaris lounge. I did so and was admitted scanning my YUL-ORD boarding pass, which said 'United First' (first agent referred to it as Business). I decided I did not want to ask any questions. As a rule no access should have been granted. Unfortunately I had only about 20 minutes to enjoy anyway.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 4:07 pm

Thank you.

Update:
denied

Last edited by tilhas; Jun 29, 2019 at 11:09 pm
Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:00 pm

SYD-LAX-SFO-SEA. SYD-LAX is in Polaris, LAX-SFO and SFO-SEA are both in economy right now. Can I access the Polaris lounge at both LAX and SFO? I think the answer is yes based on my reading of the rules.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by forthecookies
SYD-LAX-SFO-SEA. SYD-LAX is in Polaris, LAX-SFO and SFO-SEA are both in economy right now. Can I access the Polaris lounge at both LAX and SFO? I think the answer is yes based on my reading of the rules.
I think the answer is yes too.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by forthecookies
yes!
Old Jul 3, 2019, 2:24 am

Slc - lax - tpe - sin

Hi

My itinerary is as follows:

SLC - LAX via Southwest
LAX - TPE - SIN via EVA business class

Would I have access to the polaris lounge at LAX? From the criteria, seems like not since LAX is my connecting and not departure airport

Thanks!
Old Jul 3, 2019, 2:38 am

Programs: UA GS
I had a strange situation at EWR Polaris last week. I was traveling EWR-ORD-FRA. All same day, all UA metal. EWR-ORD was on one ticket, ORD-FRA another. I presented the ORD-FRA BP for access and the agent said technically it has to be on the same ticket to access at EWR. The rules only say “same-day routing”, nothing about requiring it to be the same ticket.

She let me in, but said something about having to override it with notes as to why, as if she was doing me a favor. (It was very early and lounge was empty)

Any insights as to the actual policy?
Old Jul 3, 2019, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by tkljason
Hi

My itinerary is as follows:

SLC - LAX via Southwest
LAX - TPE - SIN via EVA business class

Would I have access to the polaris lounge at LAX? From the criteria, seems like not since LAX is my connecting and not departure airport

Thanks!
you have to leave Southwest out of the equation. It’s a separate ticket.

As far as UA in concerned, LAX is your departure point. But remember, Southwest can not check your bags through. You’ll need to get your luggage, carry it to Terminal 7, and check in again. Same on your return.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by kevinsac

you have to leave Southwest out of the equation. It’s a separate ticket.

As far as UA in concerned, LAX is your departure point. But remember, Southwest can not check your bags through. You’ll need to get your luggage, carry it to Terminal 7, and check in again. Same on your return.
thanks for the quick response. yes, i'm aware that I need to get my bags in LAX. my flight is out of terminal B via EVA air, so I think i should check in at terminal B instead?

Also, since it is a separate ticket, does that mean I can have access to the polaris lounge?
Old Jul 3, 2019, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tkljason
thanks for the quick response. yes, i'm aware that I need to get my bags in LAX. my flight is out of terminal B via EVA air, so I think i should check in at terminal B instead?

Also, since it is a separate ticket, does that mean I can have access to the polaris lounge?
Yes, you’re correct; you need to take your bags to the Tom Bradley International Terminal (“B”).

You will have access to the Polaris lounge. You will also have access to the *A lounge right in the B terminal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.