Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2024, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The Polaris Lounge is United's Business class lounge for passengers in premium cabins on long-haul flights only. It is separate from the United Club locations and the arrivals lounge in SFO.

Currently there are PLs in EWR, IAD, IAH, LAX, ORD, and SFO.

Quick Guide to "Do I get access?"

Are you in Polaris (Business) class on a long-haul United metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, Europe, Africa, French Polynesia, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access at all airports the same-day. It does not matter if your flights are on the same ticket or same cabin.
  • "Same-day" is ambiguous and is interpreted differently by different agents with respect to itineraries that include an overnight connection. YMMV and this thread has examples both ways.
  • No guests. Unless on F on a partner.
  • Though not stated by United, includes AKL (Auckland, New Zealand) when service begins.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on UA you get access in EWR and SFO
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on UA you get access in SFO and EWR, even if SFO-EWR is a separate Y ticket.

Are you in Business/First class on a long-haul *A partner metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Africa, Middle East, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access only at the airport where the long-haul flight departs.
  • At other airports along your route, you may have access to the United Club or other *A lounges. See here: Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread
  • Though not on United's stated list, access includes long-haul partner flights to Africa, Middle East, New Zealand, etc.
  • Guests: First Class (on flights with both First and Business cabins) only: you can bring 1 guest. Business class 0 guests.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on NH you get access only in SFO, not at EWR
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on NH you don't get any Polaris Lounge access because there is no Polaris Lounge in NRT, and you aren't eligible for SFO or EWR.

Are you on a United or partner short-haul international flight to/from Guam, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, Colombia, or Ecuador?
Are you in Premium Economy, Economy Plus, or Economy on any flight?
  • You do not get access, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Are you on a United domestic flight, including P.S. flights EWR-LAX, EWR-SFO, BOS-SFO?
  • You do not get access to the Polaris Lounge, even if you're flying in First on a wide-body plane with lie-flat "Polaris" style seats, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Can I get access through status, membership, one-time pass, or any other method?
  • No.
What else do it need for access?
  • Reports indicate that most PL's require a passport in addition to boarding pass for access. Some locations may accept other forms of ID (driver's license, etc.). This appears to be a response to possible fraudulent attempts at access (e.g., double printing BPs for friends).
If eligible for access, who can I guest?
  • Only those departing on a *A airline in long-haul Int'l First on a plane w/ First and Business classes has guesting privileges. One guest only, and that guest must be departing on same flight, in any class..
  • Those in Polaris or qualifying International Business cannot guest another passenger.
  • If you are in an old Global First seat in United Polaris class, you cannot guest another passenger. No longer relevant

More info

UA website outlining access for Polaris Lounge access

Photo ID required?There have been numerous reports from all Polaris Lounges of a photo ID being requested upon entry. Apparently, there have been some attempts to enter the PL with another person's BP (such as a traveling companion's). Recently there are reports that only a passport (not driver's license) is accepted at some lounges.

Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAD Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & in-flight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Archive: Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:45 pm

access question:

arrive international on Polaris. stopover in SFO 2-3 days. depart SFO domestic, all on same ticket
Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
But on arriving at EWR you will only have the choice to exit the secure area. To re-enter and get access to the PL, you will need an onward BP / reservation, such as a domestic connection.
What?

If you fly international to ORD, and then connect to EWR, you'll be airside and sterile. You'll have no problem getting to the PL at EWR. As long as the flights are "same day," I don't anticipate any issues accessing the PL either. Obviously, if you arrive internationally at EWR directly, it's a different story; you'd need an onward boarding pass to get back airside after customs.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
What?

If you fly international to ORD, and then connect to EWR, you'll be airside and sterile.
Quite correct, did not read close enough
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

Inbound Polaris customers get Polaris lounge access if they can get to the Polaris Lounge after clearing Customs/Immigration. A customer can arrive on UA NRT-SFO and be connecting to Air Canada and get access. Polaris agents don’t care about connecting flights on arrival, they care about means of arrival (ie a UA-operated Polaris flight). A connecting flight is, however, usually necessary to clear security and actually get to the Lounge.
True, but I believe the OP is asking if they can use the Polaris Lounge twice - once upon arrival from the international origin at the connecting point, then again after their domestic arrival from that connecting flight. I believe they can only access the PL once, at the original connecting point and not a second time at their final destination.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by saaveraward
access question:

arrive international on Polaris. stopover in SFO 2-3 days. depart SFO domestic, all on same ticket
You won't be able to use the Polaris Lounge when you depart for your domestic segment 2-3 days later. Polaris Lounge access is only available on the same day that you arrive on a Polaris international flight. At SFO you exit Customs & Immigration past the security area, and won't have access to the departures concourse because you don't have a same-day departing ticket.

However, you'll be able to use the Arrivals lounge on the day of your international Polaris flight -- if it arrives before 12:00 noon. That may not help if you intend to go straight to a home or hotel, but it's a rare perk that's still available at SFO. Please refer to the section on Arrivals Lounges on this webpage: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...es/access.html
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bocastephen
True, but I believe the OP is asking if they can use the Polaris Lounge twice - once upon arrival from the international origin at the connecting point, then again after their domestic arrival from that connecting flight. I believe they can only access the PL once, at the original connecting point and not a second time at their final destination.
This is what UA states
Customers in United Polaris business class may access a United Polaris lounge at departure, connecting and arrival airports along their eligible same-day routing.
So yes to ORD & EWR in the OP's Europe/asia-ORD-EWR query when flying Polaris cabin on the TPAC or TATL.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by Lori_Q
You won't be able to use the Polaris Lounge when you depart for your domestic segment 2-3 days later. Polaris Lounge access is only available on the same day that you arrive on a Polaris international flight. At SFO you exit Customs & Immigration past the security area, and won't have access to the departures concourse because you don't have a same-day departing ticket.

However, you'll be able to use the Arrivals lounge on the day of your international Polaris flight -- if it arrives before 12:00 noon. That may not help if you intend to go straight to a home or hotel, but it's a rare perk that's still available at SFO. Please refer to the section on Arrivals Lounges on this webpage: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...es/access.html
Thanks! Yes, I was only looking to use it on my domestic outbound but you clarified that. I've used AA's LHR arrivals lounge many times. Had NO clue UA offers an arrivals lounge at SFO. Thanks for the good news!
Old Jun 27, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
On an all UA Polaris flight with a domestic overnight, can you use the Polaris Club ON ARRIVAL the first day? (Seems not, but has anyone tried?)

This is Polaris TPA-IAH-SFO-KIX. TPA-IAH is one day and IAH-SFO-KIX is day two. I'm thinking about stopping at the IAH lounge on arrival from 8:30PM until it closes at 10PM and then heading to the hotel.

Would it be ok to leave my bag on the carousel until later and pick it up at 10:15 (from UA baggage I guess)?

I could probably also check my bag through (I assume) and take a change of clothes to the hotel... I'd have to think about it.

Any advice would be welcomed. Its a 2 month trip so I need to check a bag.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 6:54 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by TomA
On an all UA Polaris flight with a domestic overnight, can you use the Polaris Club ON ARRIVAL the first day?

This is Polaris TPA-IAH-SFO-KIX. TPA-IAH is one day and IAH-SFO-KIX is day two. I'm thinking about stopping at the IAH lounge on arrival from 8:30PM until it closes at 10PM and then heading to the hotel.

Would it be ok to leave my bag on the carousel until later and pick it up at 10:15 (from UA baggage I guess)?

I could probably also check my bag through (I assume) and take a change of clothes to the hotel... I'd have to think about it.

Any advice would be welcomed. Its a 2 month trip so I need to check a bag.
Policy-wise, the answer is sketchy, but I've gone into the Polaris Lounge on an evening arrival into IAH, but my departure was the next day directly to Tokyo without another intermediate stop. YMMV, but I am not sure if you will have different luck because of your intermediate stop along the way via SFO.

Your bag really should be checked through to KIX from TPA and not short-checked to IAH - and if you leave it overnight on the carousel, I can pretty much guarantee it will be stolen, assuming UA baggage services does not take it inside the bag room.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 6:58 pm

Policy-wise, the answer is sketchy, but I've gone into the Polaris Lounge on an evening arrival into IAH, but my departure was the next day directly to Tokyo without another intermediate stop. YMMV, but I am not sure if you will have different luck because of your intermediate stop along the way via SFO.

Your bag really should be checked through to KIX from TPA and not short-checked to IAH - and if you leave it overnight on the carousel, I can pretty much guarantee it will be stolen, assuming UA baggage services does not take it inside the bag room.
Thanks! Did they just scan your boarding pass and it beeped you in or did they have to make an exception?
If the first, I think I'd also qualify. If the second, yeah, it is YMMV for sure.

I wouldn't leave it overnight... just 90-120 minutes or so until after I left the lounge
Old Jun 27, 2019, 7:00 pm

Thanks! Did they just scan your boarding pass and it beeped you in or did they have to make an exception?
If the first, I think I'd also qualify. If the second, yeah, it is YMMV for sure.

I wouldn't leave it overnight... just 90-120 minutes or so until after I left the lounge
It beeped and let me in, but the agent questioned why I was coming in at that hour - but didn't refuse me. If your boarding pass beeps, you should be OK, but the agent could be a putz and decide to refuse your entry.

90-120 minutes, your bag will be in someone's trunk by then - just check it through, which is what the TPA agent will likely insist on doing anyway.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 7:03 pm

Would it be ok to leave my bag on the carousel until later and pick it up at 10:15 (from UA baggage I guess)? ....
Large sampling of opinions
Is it OK to wait 2-3 hours before claiming checked bags? to visit the UC for awhile?

UA's policy is not to check-thru bags for overnight connections, but some agents will do it
Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)
Old Jun 27, 2019, 7:18 pm

It beeped and let me in, but the agent questioned why I was coming in at that hour - but didn't refuse me. If your boarding pass beeps, you should be OK, but the agent could be a putz and decide to refuse your entry.
90-120 minutes, your bag will be in someone's trunk by then - just check it through, which is what the TPA agent will likely insist on doing anyway.
Ok, that's good to know thank you. I can get dinner there and have some drinks. If it was the UC, I'd just head to the hotel, but Polaris is worth a stop if possible.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Large sampling of opinions
Is it OK to wait 2-3 hours before claiming checked bags? to visit the UC for awhile?

UA's policy is not to check-thru bags for overnight connections, but some agents will do it
Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)
LOL... there is a thread for everything here.

Being in Tampa and going to Asia, that's happened to me a few times, but not recently and I couldn't remember which way they went with it. Thanks for that.

I think I will be prepared for an overnight with my backpack and if they insist on a short check, I'll just not worry about the bag on the carousel for a couple hours. Could be stolen, but no one will accidentally take it. It is a bright neon orange hardside samsonite with a bright neon orange cover. (If it is stolen, I have a LOT of credit card insurance, plus the airline--I'll probably be better off.

Anyway, I assume the UA baggage department at IAH is open fairly late?
Old Jun 27, 2019, 8:21 pm

Did a quick search and couldn't find the answer, but did anyone ever clarify the definition of 'companion' for star alliance first class access purposes? I'm travelling in F on SQ SFO-->HKG and have a friend that will be taking a quick United hop down to LA around the same time. I'd like to invite him if it's allowed, but it's not clear if the companion has to be on the same flight/carrier or not.

Anyone have experience with this?
Old Jun 27, 2019, 8:50 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by allthem
did anyone ever clarify the definition of 'companion' for star alliance first class access purposes? I'm travelling in F on SQ SFO-->HKG and have a friend that will be taking a quick United hop down to LA around the same time. I'd like to invite him if it's allowed, but it's not clear if the companion has to be on the same flight/carrier or not.
It should be the *A policy:
You are entitled to bring one guest travelling on any Star Alliance flight departing from the same airport on the same day.
Star Alliance Lounge Access

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.