Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2024, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The Polaris Lounge is United's Business class lounge for passengers in premium cabins on long-haul flights only. It is separate from the United Club locations and the arrivals lounge in SFO.

Currently there are PLs in EWR, IAD, IAH, LAX, ORD, and SFO.

Quick Guide to "Do I get access?"

Are you in Polaris (Business) class on a long-haul United metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, Europe, Africa, French Polynesia, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access at all airports the same-day. It does not matter if your flights are on the same ticket or same cabin.
  • "Same-day" is ambiguous and is interpreted differently by different agents with respect to itineraries that include an overnight connection. YMMV and this thread has examples both ways.
  • No guests. Unless on F on a partner.
  • Though not stated by United, includes AKL (Auckland, New Zealand) when service begins.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on UA you get access in EWR and SFO
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on UA you get access in SFO and EWR, even if SFO-EWR is a separate Y ticket.

Are you in Business/First class on a long-haul *A partner metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Africa, Middle East, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access only at the airport where the long-haul flight departs.
  • At other airports along your route, you may have access to the United Club or other *A lounges. See here: Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread
  • Though not on United's stated list, access includes long-haul partner flights to Africa, Middle East, New Zealand, etc.
  • Guests: First Class (on flights with both First and Business cabins) only: you can bring 1 guest. Business class 0 guests.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on NH you get access only in SFO, not at EWR
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on NH you don't get any Polaris Lounge access because there is no Polaris Lounge in NRT, and you aren't eligible for SFO or EWR.

Are you on a United or partner short-haul international flight to/from Guam, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, Colombia, or Ecuador?
Are you in Premium Economy, Economy Plus, or Economy on any flight?
  • You do not get access, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Are you on a United domestic flight, including P.S. flights EWR-LAX, EWR-SFO, BOS-SFO?
  • You do not get access to the Polaris Lounge, even if you're flying in First on a wide-body plane with lie-flat "Polaris" style seats, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Can I get access through status, membership, one-time pass, or any other method?
  • No.
What else do it need for access?
  • Reports indicate that most PL's require a passport in addition to boarding pass for access. Some locations may accept other forms of ID (driver's license, etc.). This appears to be a response to possible fraudulent attempts at access (e.g., double printing BPs for friends).
If eligible for access, who can I guest?
  • Only those departing on a *A airline in long-haul Int'l First on a plane w/ First and Business classes has guesting privileges. One guest only, and that guest must be departing on same flight, in any class..
  • Those in Polaris or qualifying International Business cannot guest another passenger.
  • If you are in an old Global First seat in United Polaris class, you cannot guest another passenger. No longer relevant

More info

UA website outlining access for Polaris Lounge access

Photo ID required?There have been numerous reports from all Polaris Lounges of a photo ID being requested upon entry. Apparently, there have been some attempts to enter the PL with another person's BP (such as a traveling companion's). Recently there are reports that only a passport (not driver's license) is accepted at some lounges.

Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAD Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & in-flight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Archive: Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
IAH-DCA 11 June 1002 am
DCA-ORD-NRT 12 June 746 am

Can I use the latter segments to access PL in IAH on 11 June because the PL-eligible itinerary is within 24 hours of IAH-DCA? Seems like no but if you read the Wiki literally it could be yes.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by st530
IAH-DCA 11 June 1002 am
DCA-ORD-NRT 12 June 746 am

Can I use the latter segments to access PL in IAH on 11 June because the PL-eligible itinerary is within 24 hours of IAH-DCA? Seems like no but if you read the Wiki literally it could be yes.
You can try, but many have been restricted to same-day admission (which is the strict wording on the UA site)

Is this a single ticket? is DCA booked as a stopover or connection?
Old Jun 11, 2019, 4:26 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You can try, but many have been restricted to same-day admission (which is the strict wording on the UA site)

Is this a single ticket? is DCA booked as a stopover or connection?
Separate tickets which I suspect seals the deal (negatively).
Old Jun 13, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
“eligible same day routing” is what still confuses me after scanning through 30 pages of this thread.

My friends are flying SIN-SFO-IAH-UIO UA Metal, One ticket, on an MUA. Both Star Gold from SQ.
First leg Polaris cleared at booking and they arrived SFO last night at 9:20PM and had a forced overnight stay.
Second leg SFO-IAH this morning at 7:20AM and will definitely not clear.
Third leg IAH-UIO is at 6:20PM and looks slim chance but doesn’t matter because Ecuador is not a listed eligible city.

So. Should they have Polaris Club access in IAH?

And if they *should* but the agent says no, what can they say to plead their case?
(I know for a fact the little green light is not always accurate as I incorrectly denied access to the DFW club twice)
They’re not up on the lingo and not used to flying business class, and I don’t want them to feel intimidated by some dragon if they should rightfully be allowed in.

If not, then I can direct them to the regular Club instead and not stress them out.

Last edited by chavala; Jun 13, 2019 at 8:37 am Reason: add info
Old Jun 13, 2019, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chavala
First leg Polaris cleared at booking and they arrived SFO last night at 9:20PM and had a forced overnight stay.
Second leg SFO-IAH this morning at 7:20AM and will definitely not clear.
Third leg IAH-UIO is at 6:20PM and looks slim chance but doesn’t matter because Ecuador is not a listed eligible city.

So. Should they have Polaris Club access in IAH?
I think the reason that you’re confused after reading 30 pages of this thread is that nobody really knows. I would guess that the answer is no, because SFO-IAH was not the same day as SIN-SFO, even though the transfer is less than 24 hours.

That said, there’s no harm in asking.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by jsloan

I think the reason that you’re confused after reading 30 pages of this thread is that nobody really knows. I would guess that the answer is no, because SFO-IAH was not the same day as SIN-SFO, even though the transfer is less than 24 hours.

I was denied by United Club for a similar situation. I was forced to overnight at EWR for a trip starting from MEL. The reason was that my flight was not on the same day as my international segment.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan

Thanks! I'll report back

Very happy to report they scanned their Polaris BPs from last night and got the green beep!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 13, 2019 at 1:03 pm Reason: merged update / consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 13, 2019, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
LAX Question flying LX

Flying Swiss from LAX-ZRH-AMS in C. I will have access at LAX correct? I plan to have carry on only so if I have the LX BP I print at home I should be able to go direct to T7 and clear TSA? or will I have to go to TBIT then walk all the way to T7?

Thanks for the advice
Old Jun 13, 2019, 7:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cbrown5294
Flying Swiss from LAX-ZRH-AMS in C. I will have access at LAX correct? ...
Yes
Originally Posted by cbrown5294
I plan to have carry on only so if I have the LX BP I print at home I should be able to go direct to T7 and clear TSA? ..
Yes, but I would probably just go to TBIT *A Lounge unless LAX Polaris is a bucket list item
Old Jun 13, 2019, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes
Yes, but I would probably just go to TBIT *A Lounge unless LAX Polaris is a bucket list item
+1. TBIT is a very nice lounge.. I guess the other reason to go to LAX Polaris is if you want some exercise before your flight
Old Jun 13, 2019, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's a clever argument, except the United Club is UA's business class lounge for *A purposes. The Polaris Lounge has stricter requirements and is not a *A business class lounge.

Carriers are allowed to operate lounges outside the *A rules so long as they offer lounges which grant *G and business class passengers access. Other examples would be the LH and LX F lounges, the Private Room in Singapore, and the fancy new AC lounge at YYZ.
Originally Posted by findark
+1. TBIT is a very nice lounge.. I guess the other reason to go to LAX Polaris is if you want some exercise before your flight

Last time I was at the lounge I was sort of disappointed. Maybe I am spending too much time in the AA First dining/ QF Lax lounge lol

Old Jun 14, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: AC SE
Any experience whether LAX-RAR on Air NZ in Business qualifies to use the Polaris lounge before departing at LAX? It's a ~10 hour Intl biz class flight, so I believe this would be the type of flight that should qualify as a long-haul international flight, but it looks like UA now lists eligible countries rather than duration of flight and the Cook Islands isn't on the list. New Zealand also isn't on their list, so I guess it's clearly not inclusive.

From the UA lounge access site:
  • Long-haul international flights include those from the U.S. to Asia, Australia, Europe and select South American countries, including Argentina, Brazil, Chile and Peru.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
PPT is Polaris-marketed, so you should be allowed in.. I don't have experience though and can imagine this could be an issue.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by findark
PPT is Polaris-marketed, so you should be allowed in.. I don't have experience though and can imagine this could be an issue.
I think LAX-RAR should have access, similar to SFO-PPT, but I'm also thinking with a weekly partner operated flight, there's also a higher chance to get a "Computer Says No" type error vs. a UA flight to the same region.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by gcashin
I think LAX-RAR should have access, similar to SFO-PPT, but I'm also thinking with a weekly partner operated flight, there's also a higher chance to get a "Computer Says No" type error vs. a UA flight to the same region.
Interesting, I didn't know this flight existed. OP, let us know if you get in. Seems pretty outrageous if not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.