Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2024, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The Polaris Lounge is United's Business class lounge for passengers in premium cabins on long-haul flights only. It is separate from the United Club locations and the arrivals lounge in SFO.

Currently there are PLs in EWR, IAD, IAH, LAX, ORD, and SFO.

Quick Guide to "Do I get access?"

Are you in Polaris (Business) class on a long-haul United metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, Europe, Africa, French Polynesia, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access at all airports the same-day. It does not matter if your flights are on the same ticket or same cabin.
  • "Same-day" is ambiguous and is interpreted differently by different agents with respect to itineraries that include an overnight connection. YMMV and this thread has examples both ways.
  • No guests. Unless on F on a partner.
  • Though not stated by United, includes AKL (Auckland, New Zealand) when service begins.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on UA you get access in EWR and SFO
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on UA you get access in SFO and EWR, even if SFO-EWR is a separate Y ticket.

Are you in Business/First class on a long-haul *A partner metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Africa, Middle East, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access only at the airport where the long-haul flight departs.
  • At other airports along your route, you may have access to the United Club or other *A lounges. See here: Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread
  • Though not on United's stated list, access includes long-haul partner flights to Africa, Middle East, New Zealand, etc.
  • Guests: First Class (on flights with both First and Business cabins) only: you can bring 1 guest. Business class 0 guests.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on NH you get access only in SFO, not at EWR
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on NH you don't get any Polaris Lounge access because there is no Polaris Lounge in NRT, and you aren't eligible for SFO or EWR.

Are you on a United or partner short-haul international flight to/from Guam, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, Colombia, or Ecuador?
Are you in Premium Economy, Economy Plus, or Economy on any flight?
  • You do not get access, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Are you on a United domestic flight, including P.S. flights EWR-LAX, EWR-SFO, BOS-SFO?
  • You do not get access to the Polaris Lounge, even if you're flying in First on a wide-body plane with lie-flat "Polaris" style seats, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Can I get access through status, membership, one-time pass, or any other method?
  • No.
What else do it need for access?
  • Reports indicate that most PL's require a passport in addition to boarding pass for access. Some locations may accept other forms of ID (driver's license, etc.). This appears to be a response to possible fraudulent attempts at access (e.g., double printing BPs for friends).
If eligible for access, who can I guest?
  • Only those departing on a *A airline in long-haul Int'l First on a plane w/ First and Business classes has guesting privileges. One guest only, and that guest must be departing on same flight, in any class..
  • Those in Polaris or qualifying International Business cannot guest another passenger.
  • If you are in an old Global First seat in United Polaris class, you cannot guest another passenger. No longer relevant

More info

UA website outlining access for Polaris Lounge access

Photo ID required?There have been numerous reports from all Polaris Lounges of a photo ID being requested upon entry. Apparently, there have been some attempts to enter the PL with another person's BP (such as a traveling companion's). Recently there are reports that only a passport (not driver's license) is accepted at some lounges.

Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAD Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & in-flight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Archive: Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by 1kBill
I'm curious about this also. I have an upcoming itinerary where I will depart LAX for SFO, overnight at SFO, then depart for Asia. All on same ticket. My expectation is that I will be denied access to the LAX Polaris lounge.

Is there any hope?
You can try what I did - just scan your SFO-Asia boarding pass in the Polaris lounge. The system didn't reject me, so that could be why I was let in. Don't ask questions or say anything, just walk in, scan your boarding pass and if the agent welcomes you, keep quiet and just go in. If the agent says no, then my entry was an error.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
You can try what I did - just scan your SFO-Asia boarding pass in the Polaris lounge. The system didn't reject me, so that could be why I was let in. Don't ask questions or say anything, just walk in, scan your boarding pass and if the agent welcomes you, keep quiet and just go in. If the agent says no, then my entry was an error.
From my experiences, it seems that the system is coded to allow access within 24h of the first segment on an itinerary including a Polaris segment, but some agents like to read over the BP before scanning and may intercede to avoid letting you in.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:55 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by fumje
From my experiences, it seems that the system is coded to allow access within 24h of the first segment on an itinerary including a Polaris segment, but some agents like to read over the BP before scanning and may intercede to avoid letting you in.
I've never had this happen at any UC or Polaris Lounge when using the mobile BP - just take the phone and hover it over the scanner, I've never had an agent try and take my phone to look at the boarding pass. A paper boarding pass might be a different story, so to the OP, caveat emptor.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Today at EWR they were requiring not only an ID but specifically a passport -- which I didn't have at the time. When I asked where this was stated as a policy, they said it didn't need to be, and that their supervisor told them to require a passport. I asked to speak to said supervisor to explain my (admittedly unique) situation and was denied. They were SO rude -- quite unbelievable. I was admitted to the "pop-up lounge" without any ID at all.

ETA: I see docbert reported the passport requirement upthread in post 289

Last edited by ikwia; Feb 15, 2019 at 4:43 pm
Old Feb 15, 2019, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by ikwia
Today at EWR they were requiring not only an ID but specifically a passport -- which I didn't have at the time. When I asked where this was stated as a policy, they said it didn't need to be, and that their supervisor told them to require a passport. I asked to speak to said supervisor to explain my (admittedly unique) situation and was denied. They were SO rude -- quite unbelievable. I was admitted to the "pop-up lounge" without any ID at all.

ETA: I see docbert reported the passport requirement upthread in post 289
The purpose is to ensure only ticketed pax are admitted into the PL.

Can I ask how you are able to travel w/o a valid passport for an INTL itinerary?
Old Feb 15, 2019, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
OP had a ticket and could prove who they were. If there is a purpose to requiring a passport, it's not this.

Can I ask how you are able to travel w/o a valid passport for an INTL itinerary?
Just to speculate: I'm assuming OP had someone bring the passport (e.g. from home, possibly by a family member traveling with) sometime between arriving at the PL and boarding the international flight.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ikwia
They were SO rude -- quite unbelievable.
Welcome to EWR

Originally Posted by threeoh
OP had a ticket and could prove who they were. If there is a purpose to requiring a passport, it's not this.
+1 It's a requirement to board, but should not be a lounge access agreement.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by Repooc17
No issues with this. But this can be accomplished IMHO with a form of photo ID other than a passport. And the rudeness and attitude of "we can make up policies as we go along and there is no avenue of appeal" is what really irked me.

For any mainstream purpose, you cannot. But I'm not sure why having a passport in your possession at the time of lounge entry is a requirement. This seems to apply especially to lounge access on a return itinerary where someone has re-entered the US and doesn't otherwise need a passport for the remainder of their journey. I will concede I'm talking about uncommon situations, but total inflexibility when considering lounge access for someone on an expensive J ticket doesn't seem like the best customer service policy.

Just to speculate: I'm assuming OP had someone bring the passport (e.g. from home, possibly by a family member traveling with) sometime between arriving at the PL and boarding the international flight.
In short, yes, this was the situation.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 16, 2019 at 11:30 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Actually I'm also perplexed as to why EWR Polaris lounge requires passport for entry. Last week I flew MEL-LAX-EWR and used the EWR Polaris Lounge on ARRIVAL and was asked for my passport... I just showed the agent my passport because I was hungry and didn't bother asking why.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:27 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by hirohito888
Actually I'm also perplexed as to why EWR Polaris lounge requires passport for entry. Last week I flew MEL-LAX-EWR and used the EWR Polaris Lounge on ARRIVAL and was asked for my passport... I just showed the agent my passport because I was hungry and didn't bother asking why.
This happened to me at SFO arriving from SIN on my way to ORD. They asked for a passport. I said it was packed away. They asked again. Refused to show them. They finally let me in with me showing my DL.

I like it when the car picks me up and drives me to the Polaris lounge. A GS agent accompanies me there and I don't have to show anything to get in. ^
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
This happened to me at SFO arriving from SIN on my way to ORD. They asked for a passport. I said it was packed away. They asked again. Refused to show them. They finally let me in with me showing my DL.
Is showing your passport really such an onerous imposition, for admission to PL?
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:37 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
Is showing your passport really such an onerous imposition, for admission to PL?
When I put it away, yes. And also the principle of it. What is the reason? If I can identify myself, what the big deal? I guess I don't like to obey stupid instructions.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
This. For me, I carry either my passport or my DL for identification when traveling but not both. From my perspective, losing one is better than losing both.

Life is too short to get into a conversation with the lounge rep about types of identification form I am willing to show them. So, yes, I comply and enjoy every bit PL experience I can get out of (usually less than an hour sometimes only 5 minutes).
Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold
My wife and I are flying NZ 19 LAX to RAR in Business Premiere next month. We know we have access to the (very nice) Star Alliance lounge, but we were hoping to dine at the Polaris lounge before heading over to the TBIT. If it matters (I don't think it does), I a UA Gold and my wife is UA Silver. Will we have access to Polaris? If so, would we have any problem entering at Terminal 7 with a NZ boarding pass? Any help appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by OHflies
My wife and I are flying NZ 19 LAX to RAR in Business Premiere next month. We know we have access to the (very nice) Star Alliance lounge, but we were hoping to dine at the Polaris lounge before heading over to the TBIT. If it matters (I don't think it does), I a UA Gold and my wife is UA Silver. Will we have access to Polaris?...
Yes you will qualify for access as you are departing LAX in partner international business on a TPAC flight.

Originally Posted by OHflies
If so, would we have any problem entering at Terminal 7 with a NZ boarding pass? ....
No

But unless you are arriving by air to T7/T8, it is a long walk -- a bit over a mile (on a circuitous, up and down path) to TBIT and the *A lounge. While PL is a better lounge, the *A TBIT lounge is very nice and except for the curiosity factor, i would suggest just going to the *A TBIT lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.