Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2024, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The Polaris Lounge is United's Business class lounge for passengers in premium cabins on long-haul flights only. It is separate from the United Club locations and the arrivals lounge in SFO.

Currently there are PLs in EWR, IAD, IAH, LAX, ORD, and SFO.

Quick Guide to "Do I get access?"

Are you in Polaris (Business) class on a long-haul United metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, Europe, Africa, French Polynesia, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access at all airports the same-day. It does not matter if your flights are on the same ticket or same cabin.
  • "Same-day" is ambiguous and is interpreted differently by different agents with respect to itineraries that include an overnight connection. YMMV and this thread has examples both ways.
  • No guests. Unless on F on a partner.
  • Though not stated by United, includes AKL (Auckland, New Zealand) when service begins.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on UA you get access in EWR and SFO
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on UA you get access in SFO and EWR, even if SFO-EWR is a separate Y ticket.

Are you in Business/First class on a long-haul *A partner metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Africa, Middle East, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access only at the airport where the long-haul flight departs.
  • At other airports along your route, you may have access to the United Club or other *A lounges. See here: Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread
  • Though not on United's stated list, access includes long-haul partner flights to Africa, Middle East, New Zealand, etc.
  • Guests: First Class (on flights with both First and Business cabins) only: you can bring 1 guest. Business class 0 guests.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on NH you get access only in SFO, not at EWR
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on NH you don't get any Polaris Lounge access because there is no Polaris Lounge in NRT, and you aren't eligible for SFO or EWR.

Are you on a United or partner short-haul international flight to/from Guam, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, Colombia, or Ecuador?
Are you in Premium Economy, Economy Plus, or Economy on any flight?
  • You do not get access, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Are you on a United domestic flight, including P.S. flights EWR-LAX, EWR-SFO, BOS-SFO?
  • You do not get access to the Polaris Lounge, even if you're flying in First on a wide-body plane with lie-flat "Polaris" style seats, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Can I get access through status, membership, one-time pass, or any other method?
  • No.
What else do it need for access?
  • Reports indicate that most PL's require a passport in addition to boarding pass for access. Some locations may accept other forms of ID (driver's license, etc.). This appears to be a response to possible fraudulent attempts at access (e.g., double printing BPs for friends).
If eligible for access, who can I guest?
  • Only those departing on a *A airline in long-haul Int'l First on a plane w/ First and Business classes has guesting privileges. One guest only, and that guest must be departing on same flight, in any class..
  • Those in Polaris or qualifying International Business cannot guest another passenger.
  • If you are in an old Global First seat in United Polaris class, you cannot guest another passenger. No longer relevant

More info

UA website outlining access for Polaris Lounge access

Photo ID required?There have been numerous reports from all Polaris Lounges of a photo ID being requested upon entry. Apparently, there have been some attempts to enter the PL with another person's BP (such as a traveling companion's). Recently there are reports that only a passport (not driver's license) is accepted at some lounges.

Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAD Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & in-flight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Archive: Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2019, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

As pointed out above, no, but you do get access to United Club. It’s better than nothing...
Haha is it though? I'll just go to the Amex lounge. Would rather sit in the terminal than the United Club...
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Not sure if my entrance was agent error or OK by policy: Inbound domestic leg arrived at the UA hub at 830P with the onward Intl long haul connection leaving the next day at 10A. I was able to access the Polaris Lounge after arriving at the hub, and again the following morning before departure. The machine beeped and didn't throw me out when I entered that evening and the lounge attendant let me in without a question, although she suggested going to the UC after since they were open later (she was assuming I planned to overnight at the airport).

So, for future expectations, was my prior night's entrance a mistake or permitted by policy?
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kthpence
Haha is it though? I'll just go to the Amex lounge. Would rather sit in the terminal than the United Club...
You may be sitting in the terminal then - The Amex lounge is unbearably crowded, at least when I go......

I'd set expectations low for Amex.....
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:27 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, AA Exec Platinum, TG ROP, WOH Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum
Polaris Lounge access SFO/EWR for connecting flights

Apologies, but sorting through the master thread has been a bit confusing regarding this subject.

Will be traveling outbound LAX-SFO-AMS (in Polaris from SFO to AMS) and on return AMS-EWR-LAX (in Polaris on all legs).

I recall reading on a thread that, at least in SFO, I would have access to the Polaris lounge given that I'm connecting onwards to an int'l flight. I'm more confused about the return and whether or not I'd have access in EWR..mostly because I have a very long layover there.

Any info would be appreciated!
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
You have Polaris Lounge access at all points (SFO, LAX, EWR) assuming the overwater segments are UA metal (Polaris) and your connection times are reasonable. The only long connection you mention is at EWR - it depends on how long it is. If you depart EWR the same calendar day you arrive, should be no problem. If your trip involves an overnight at EWR, it may be tricky to get PL access the next day. Policy is "same day as Polaris flight".
Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: United Premier 1K; Alaska MVP 75K; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by findark
You have Polaris Lounge access at all points (SFO, LAX, EWR) assuming the overwater segments are UA metal (Polaris) and your connection times are reasonable. The only long connection you mention is at EWR - it depends on how long it is. If you depart EWR the same calendar day you arrive, should be no problem. If your trip involves an overnight at EWR, it may be tricky to get PL access the next day. Policy is "same day as Polaris flight".
Is this a change in policy? Or perhaps I received incorrect information from an agent? I was denied entry into the EWR Polaris lounge even though I flew SIN-SFO earlier that day. The agent said to me you can only go into the lounge immediately following your long-haul flight in Polaris.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by goldelite8
Is this a change in policy? Or perhaps I received incorrect information from an agent? I was denied entry into the EWR Polaris lounge even though I flew SIN-SFO earlier that day. The agent said to me you can only go into the lounge immediately following your long-haul flight in Polaris.
If SIN-SFO was in United Polaris and arrival EWR was same day as SFO arrival, you should have gotten access.

Slightly OT, but I wonder if UA's next-day UC and Polaris Lounge admittance denials are a reflection of possible adopting Star Alliance 5am cutoff. Allows people arriving one day with post-midnight connection access, but denies people who are likely to be spending night at connection point:

"boarding pass of a Star Alliance member airline operated flight which departs at the same day as your visit or latest by 05:00 AM the next morning."

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Feb 7, 2019 at 9:17 am
Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Agent was wrong. Same day access at all points when you fly UA Polaris.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The policy has been the same since day one, but agents have been getting significantly stricter about their interpretation of "same day". You should have been allowed access at EWR, but the longer away from the Polaris flight you are the harder it is to pass the dragons.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:29 am

Ok, since I can’t seem to win over in the NZ forum.

Bought Z fare ticket on NZ stock through Expedia. Route is MEL-LAX-ORD. MEL-LAX-ORD all UA operated (but show as the NZ codeshare on Orbitz receipt). Will I have Polaris Lounge access at MEL only or at all three airports?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MCIUnitedGuy
Ok, since I can’t seem to win over in the NZ forum.

Bought Z fare ticket on NZ stock through Expedia. Route is MEL-LAX-ORD. MEL-LAX-ORD all UA operated (but show as the NZ codeshare on Orbitz receipt). Will I have Polaris Lounge access at MEL only or at all three airports?
There's no Polaris Lounge at MEL.

You should have Polaris Lounge access at LAX and ORD. You'll check in with UA at MEL, and I expect UA will use its own flight numbers on your boarding pass, so I doubt the staff at LAX or ORD would even know that you were on an NZ ticket.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
There's no Polaris Lounge at MEL.

You should have Polaris Lounge access at LAX and ORD. You'll check in with UA at MEL, and I expect UA will use its own flight numbers on your boarding pass, so I doubt the staff at LAX or ORD would even know that you were on an NZ ticket.
Thanks for responding! And yeah, sorry, I know there’s no Polaris Lounge at MEL. I was getting much push back on my “ticket stock doesn’t matter, only thing that matters is it’s a UA ‘Polaris’ cabin flight” line of reasoning on access at LAX and ORD.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Not sure if my entrance was agent error or OK by policy: Inbound domestic leg arrived at the UA hub at 830P with the onward Intl long haul connection leaving the next day at 10A. I was able to access the Polaris Lounge after arriving at the hub, and again the following morning before departure. The machine beeped and didn't throw me out when I entered that evening and the lounge attendant let me in without a question, although she suggested going to the UC after since they were open later (she was assuming I planned to overnight at the airport).

So, for future expectations, was my prior night's entrance a mistake or permitted by policy?
I'm curious about this also. I have an upcoming itinerary where I will depart LAX for SFO, overnight at SFO, then depart for Asia. All on same ticket. My expectation is that I will be denied access to the LAX Polaris lounge.

Is there any hope?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by 1kBill
I'm curious about this also. I have an upcoming itinerary where I will depart LAX for SFO, overnight at SFO, then depart for Asia. All on same ticket. My expectation is that I will be denied access to the LAX Polaris lounge.

Is there any hope?
No access probably at LAX since not same day SFO-Asia.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 1kBill
Is there any hope?
I don't think anyone here can tell you more than what you've already seen in the thread, namely that it's technically not permitted but we have at least one report (which you quoted) of an exception/error.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.