Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2024, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The Polaris Lounge is United's Business class lounge for passengers in premium cabins on long-haul flights only. It is separate from the United Club locations and the arrivals lounge in SFO.

Currently there are PLs in EWR, IAD, IAH, LAX, ORD, and SFO.

Quick Guide to "Do I get access?"

Are you in Polaris (Business) class on a long-haul United metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, Europe, Africa, French Polynesia, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access at all airports the same-day. It does not matter if your flights are on the same ticket or same cabin.
  • "Same-day" is ambiguous and is interpreted differently by different agents with respect to itineraries that include an overnight connection. YMMV and this thread has examples both ways.
  • No guests. Unless on F on a partner.
  • Though not stated by United, includes AKL (Auckland, New Zealand) when service begins.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on UA you get access in EWR and SFO
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on UA you get access in SFO and EWR, even if SFO-EWR is a separate Y ticket.

Are you in Business/First class on a long-haul *A partner metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Africa, Middle East, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access only at the airport where the long-haul flight departs.
  • At other airports along your route, you may have access to the United Club or other *A lounges. See here: Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread
  • Though not on United's stated list, access includes long-haul partner flights to Africa, Middle East, New Zealand, etc.
  • Guests: First Class (on flights with both First and Business cabins) only: you can bring 1 guest. Business class 0 guests.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on NH you get access only in SFO, not at EWR
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on NH you don't get any Polaris Lounge access because there is no Polaris Lounge in NRT, and you aren't eligible for SFO or EWR.

Are you on a United or partner short-haul international flight to/from Guam, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, Colombia, or Ecuador?
Are you in Premium Economy, Economy Plus, or Economy on any flight?
  • You do not get access, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Are you on a United domestic flight, including P.S. flights EWR-LAX, EWR-SFO, BOS-SFO?
  • You do not get access to the Polaris Lounge, even if you're flying in First on a wide-body plane with lie-flat "Polaris" style seats, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Can I get access through status, membership, one-time pass, or any other method?
  • No.
What else do it need for access?
  • Reports indicate that most PL's require a passport in addition to boarding pass for access. Some locations may accept other forms of ID (driver's license, etc.). This appears to be a response to possible fraudulent attempts at access (e.g., double printing BPs for friends).
If eligible for access, who can I guest?
  • Only those departing on a *A airline in long-haul Int'l First on a plane w/ First and Business classes has guesting privileges. One guest only, and that guest must be departing on same flight, in any class..
  • Those in Polaris or qualifying International Business cannot guest another passenger.
  • If you are in an old Global First seat in United Polaris class, you cannot guest another passenger. No longer relevant

More info

UA website outlining access for Polaris Lounge access

Photo ID required?There have been numerous reports from all Polaris Lounges of a photo ID being requested upon entry. Apparently, there have been some attempts to enter the PL with another person's BP (such as a traveling companion's). Recently there are reports that only a passport (not driver's license) is accepted at some lounges.

Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAD Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & in-flight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Archive: Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: AA PP, Hilton/MR Gold
Flying ORD-LAX on UA, then LAX-AKL on NZ, all in Z. NZ ticket stock, but since the UA metal flight is first, there is a reasonable chance I have UA boarding passes for the whole journey.

Obviously I'm entitled to Polaris lounge access at LAX departing long haul, what are the chances I can convince them to let me in at ORD since I'll show up with all UA-boarding passes?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by smashr
Obviously I'm entitled to Polaris lounge access at LAX departing long haul, what are the chances I can convince them to let me in at ORD since I'll show up with all UA-boarding passes?
Close to zero. Scan will say no.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Flying ORD-LAX on UA, then LAX-AKL on NZ, all in Z. NZ ticket stock, but since the UA metal flight is first, there is a reasonable chance I have UA boarding passes for the whole journey.

I don't think it will happen. If you are not flying on UA metal, you are only allowed access to the Polaris Lounge at the departure airport of your international long haul Business Class flight, which in your case will be LAX. However, the LAX Polaris Lounge is only supposed to open on January 12.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Jan 7, 2019 at 11:33 am Reason: Added clarification
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: AA PP, Hilton/MR Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Close to zero. Scan will say no.
So you're saying there's a chance!!! :-) :-) lol

Thanks though; appreciate it. Have little experience with UA these days.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:44 am

So you're saying there's a chance!!! :-) :-) lol

Thanks though; appreciate it. Have little experience with UA these days.
I don't think there's a chance. Every time I'm at the ORD Polaris Lounge, I see the agents explaining to international long haul passengers the reason they are not allowed in. Those passengers are on a non-UA metal flight, either flying their long-haul segment from another airport or having arrived from their long-haul segment and waiting for their connection.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...since I'll show up with all UA-boarding passes?
Has no bearing.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SeamusSA
- yes, you will. Have your boarding pass ready to show agent at check in desk. If agent tries to deny you entrance, request supervisor.
- yes, you will.
Thanks for the advice! You were correct that on arrival at EWR the agent had to call someone (presumably a supervisor) and also gave me a bit of snark. In the end it worked out but she made it seem like I was getting a favor. I just wanted a decent shower before heading into the city for a speaking engagement as I knew my hotel would likely not check me in at 630am and being considerate to company $$ I didn’t want to pay for the prior night in Manhattan at $380!

Pretty happy most my flying is with DL and AA as they seem to treat smaller corporates a lot better. UA has a decent product but just seems to be lacking on the premium experience front. I’ll be a 1K by end of February if I fly trips booked but may try and justify the extra money for DL and shift some of those to DL if this is how UA treats premium customers. Seems they would give meal/service preference to a GS/1K/Plat Y->J upgrader over a $10,000 J passenger. Our travel manager has been pushing UA due to better pricing and inventory access with larger J cabins so we will see how this goes.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler

Thanks for the advice! You were correct that on arrival at EWR the agent had to call someone (presumably a supervisor) and also gave me a bit of snark. In the end it worked out but she made it seem like I was getting a favor. I just wanted a decent shower before heading into the city for a speaking engagement as I knew my hotel would likely not check me in at 630am and being considerate to company $$ I didn’t want to pay for the prior night in Manhattan at $380!

Our travel manager has been pushing UA due to better pricing and inventory access with larger J cabins so we will see how this goes.
For some reason, I think that on the return when you fly EWR-SFO the night before and then the next day the SFO-PVG flight, you will not be allowed in the Polaris Lounge at EWR. They used to say 24 hours but lately it has been "same day".

The clue about why your travel manager is pushing UA is written in your sentence: "due to better pricing".
Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by docbert
I've had it on almost every recent entry to SFO, and also at EWR a few days ago. EWR wouldn't even accept my drivers license, but only my passport, where SFO have always been happy with my DL
That's some ridiculous dragonage. I've entered on DL dozens of times (admittedly, everywhere except EWR) and even 1K card once. On two occasions I've arrived at ORD from LHR at 1:30pm, gone home, worked, grabbed skis and returned to ORD for the 730 to SLC, enjoying dinner at PL. Would not be a happy camper if denied access due to no passport on that one (though the Ohare dragons are awesome so there would be no problems to begin with).
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
For some reason, I think that on the return when you fly EWR-SFO the night before and then the next day the SFO-PVG flight, you will not be allowed in the Polaris Lounge at EWR. They used to say 24 hours but lately it has been "same day".

The clue about why your travel manager is pushing UA is written in your sentence: "due to better pricing".
It will be exciting to find out on the EWR-SFO leg this week! And “better pricing and inventory” is relative. DL/AA have the same fares in my experience but UA further out has been open in P/Z on weekends while DL/AA are constrained a few buckets but once you get closer in often DL and/or AA opens up some lower bucket inventory. Funny thing is UA’s PVG-EWR nonstop (which I’d prefer) for example was closed to D class but connecting options were open lower than DL/AA which is why travel manager pushed to ticket on UA. Fortunately most the corporate contract fares we book are refundable so not uncalled for to switch carriers if it makes sense as we get closer to departure.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:14 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
You won't be able to physically access the lounge unless you have an onward flight from IAH.
Question here, after SYD-SFO in J, would one be able to use the Polaris lounge in SFO while waiting for a SFO-SLC regional connection?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
Question here, after SYD-SFO in J, would one be able to use the Polaris lounge in SFO while waiting for a SFO-SLC regional connection?
Assuming SYD-SFO was on UA metal and with an onward BP to get airside that same day, yes
The PL is accessable airside from the domestic flight gates.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
Yes.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold
Can't find this info anywhere: Traveling with lap child in Polaris. Access should be no issue, right?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by fatlasercat
Can't find this info anywhere: Traveling with lap child in Polaris. Access should be no issue, right?
Child will have a ticket to sit in your Polaris-seated lap, so shouldn't be an issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.