Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2024, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The Polaris Lounge is United's Business class lounge for passengers in premium cabins on long-haul flights only. It is separate from the United Club locations and the arrivals lounge in SFO.

Currently there are PLs in EWR, IAD, IAH, LAX, ORD, and SFO.

Quick Guide to "Do I get access?"

Are you in Polaris (Business) class on a long-haul United metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, Europe, Africa, French Polynesia, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access at all airports the same-day. It does not matter if your flights are on the same ticket or same cabin.
  • "Same-day" is ambiguous and is interpreted differently by different agents with respect to itineraries that include an overnight connection. YMMV and this thread has examples both ways.
  • No guests. Unless on F on a partner.
  • Though not stated by United, includes AKL (Auckland, New Zealand) when service begins.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on UA you get access in EWR and SFO
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on UA you get access in SFO and EWR, even if SFO-EWR is a separate Y ticket.

Are you in Business/First class on a long-haul *A partner metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Africa, Middle East, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access only at the airport where the long-haul flight departs.
  • At other airports along your route, you may have access to the United Club or other *A lounges. See here: Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread
  • Though not on United's stated list, access includes long-haul partner flights to Africa, Middle East, New Zealand, etc.
  • Guests: First Class (on flights with both First and Business cabins) only: you can bring 1 guest. Business class 0 guests.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on NH you get access only in SFO, not at EWR
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on NH you don't get any Polaris Lounge access because there is no Polaris Lounge in NRT, and you aren't eligible for SFO or EWR.

Are you on a United or partner short-haul international flight to/from Guam, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, Colombia, or Ecuador?
Are you in Premium Economy, Economy Plus, or Economy on any flight?
  • You do not get access, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Are you on a United domestic flight, including P.S. flights EWR-LAX, EWR-SFO, BOS-SFO?
  • You do not get access to the Polaris Lounge, even if you're flying in First on a wide-body plane with lie-flat "Polaris" style seats, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Can I get access through status, membership, one-time pass, or any other method?
  • No.
What else do it need for access?
  • Reports indicate that most PL's require a passport in addition to boarding pass for access. Some locations may accept other forms of ID (driver's license, etc.). This appears to be a response to possible fraudulent attempts at access (e.g., double printing BPs for friends).
If eligible for access, who can I guest?
  • Only those departing on a *A airline in long-haul Int'l First on a plane w/ First and Business classes has guesting privileges. One guest only, and that guest must be departing on same flight, in any class..
  • Those in Polaris or qualifying International Business cannot guest another passenger.
  • If you are in an old Global First seat in United Polaris class, you cannot guest another passenger. No longer relevant

More info

UA website outlining access for Polaris Lounge access

Photo ID required?There have been numerous reports from all Polaris Lounges of a photo ID being requested upon entry. Apparently, there have been some attempts to enter the PL with another person's BP (such as a traveling companion's). Recently there are reports that only a passport (not driver's license) is accepted at some lounges.

Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAD Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & in-flight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Archive: Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by frayvr
Hi, quick question: I am flying YVR-SFO-ZRH-CDG with YVR-SFO on AC and SFO-ZRH-CDG on LX in Business, all on one Miles&More award ticket. My flight to SFO gets me there at around 9:30 am and my international business flight to ZRH departs later that same day (around 8 pm). Can I access the Polaris Lounge without *A status / polaris ticket? I am unsure given that I am a connecting passenger. Many thanks!
Yes, you will have Polaris Lounge access based upon your SFO-ZRH ticket in LX business; just scan the SFO-ZRH boarding pass and you'll be all set.

With that long of a layover, you should have plenty of time to do something else in SFO during the day. The Polaris Lounge is nice, but it's not ten hours nice.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:34 am

Smile

Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes, you will have Polaris Lounge access based upon your SFO-ZRH ticket in LX business; just scan the SFO-ZRH boarding pass and you'll be all set.

With that long of a layover, you should have plenty of time to do something else in SFO during the day. The Polaris Lounge is nice, but it's not ten hours nice.
Thank you! I was planning on heading to the city for the layover hence the early flight to SFO as I like airport but not for more than two or three hours

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, because you have a same day departure in long-haul international business class.
Thank you!
Old Nov 18, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, MR Gold, HH Gold, GE
Same Day vs 24 Hours

We just changed our flights from YYZ-SFO-HKG to YYZ-ORD-SFO (overnight stay in SFO)-HKG due to concerns with making our SFO-HKG flight if the direct YYZ-SFO was delayed due to the smoke conditions in SFO. I’m wondering what the odds are that we can access the ORD Polaris Lounge as we will be within 24 hours of our Polaris flight. Any recent reports on whether same day access on flights connecting to a Polaris flight still means within 24 hours or is same day now a strict same date as the Polaris leg interpretation?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, HHonors Diamond,
Originally Posted by eakcats
We just changed our flights from YYZ-SFO-HKG to YYZ-ORD-SFO (overnight stay in SFO)-HKG due to concerns with making our SFO-HKG flight if the direct YYZ-SFO was delayed due to the smoke conditions in SFO. I’m wondering what the odds are that we can access the ORD Polaris Lounge as we will be within 24 hours of our Polaris flight. Any recent reports on whether same day access on flights connecting to a Polaris flight still means within 24 hours or is same day now a strict same date as the Polaris leg interpretation?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Similar to above, and in respect the "same day" policy, I am flying Polaris AKL-SFO and then SFO-EWR-LHR at the moment in economy (on waitlist for GPU to clear on these two legs, but given it is Monday after Thanksgiving, not expecting it to go through). Presumably I will have access to Polaris lounges in both SFO and EWR as technically it is same day (because of crossing dateline). It would also be within 24hrs of my first departure time as well. But wanted to confirm with the experts here.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 3:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by riteshshah
Similar to above, and in respect the "same day" policy, I am flying Polaris AKL-SFO and then SFO-EWR-LHR at the moment in economy (on waitlist for GPU to clear on these two legs, but given it is Monday after Thanksgiving, not expecting it to go through). Presumably I will have access to Polaris lounges in both SFO and EWR as technically it is same day (because of crossing dateline). It would also be within 24hrs of my first departure time as well. But wanted to confirm with the experts here.
There is uncertainity on the 24 hour rule, but you will have access at SFO as your arrival is "same day"
You should have access at EWR if the same day as your SFO arrival.
If the onward travel is a separate ticket it should not matter BUT your feedback will be helpful in understandhow UA is implementing this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Hey all, Sorry for posting what I think is already in the Wiki, but I can’t read the darn Wiki. The new-ish website design is so awful, it keeps scrolling me to the last page of the thread automatically while I’m 1/3 through the Wiki! Argh.

Anyway, I’m flying what used to be called p.s. from SFO to EWR tonight, overnight. Does GS or any status have access to Polaris when flying J on the transcons? I could swear I read that GS does have access but I can’t find it,

TIA
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by USHPNWDLUA
Does GS or any status have access to Polaris when flying J on the transcons?
No.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by USHPNWDLUA
Hey all, Sorry for posting what I think is already in the Wiki, but I can’t read the darn Wiki. The new-ish website design is so awful, it keeps scrolling me to the last page of the thread automatically while I’m 1/3 through the Wiki! Argh.

Anyway, I’m flying what used to be called p.s. from SFO to EWR tonight, overnight. Does GS or any status have access to Polaris when flying J on the transcons? I could swear I read that GS does have access but I can’t find it,

TIA
J pax on Premium Transcons (EWR<>SFO/LAX and BOS<>SFO) have access to United Clubs at either end. There is NO access to Polaris Lounges, regardless of status, including GS.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 12:51 am

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold
SFO Polaris Lounge Access on Air Canada Flight?

I’m considering booking a *A award on Air Canada of SFO to Toronto to Europe, all on Air Canada. I know United has a policy of, you get admitted at the lounge before your international flight, but that from ORD they denied access for (much) cheaper Air Canada Business Class passengers. Any word on whether they deny Air Canada flyers at SFO too?
Old Nov 21, 2018, 12:57 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 18wheeler_vanrekt
I’m considering booking a *A award on Air Canada of SFO to Toronto to Europe, all on Air Canada. I know United has a policy of, you get admitted at the lounge before your international flight, but that from ORD they denied access for (much) cheaper Air Canada Business Class passengers. Any word on whether they deny Air Canada flyers at SFO too?
Transborder flights do not qualify for Polaris access (UA or AC)
For non-UA flights, Polaris access is based on departure flight. so no AC flights will qualify for access.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 12:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
No, you won’t have access. You need to be on an international long haul flight at the departure airport.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 18wheeler_vanrekt
I’ll be flying Air Canada all the way from SFO to YYZ to Europe later this year. Access rules state that I should get access prior to my International segment, which SFO to Toronto should qualify for. But, I’ve heard that the O’Hare lounge has turned away Air Canada Business flyers on the (much cheaper than transoceanic) routes to Toronto or Montreal. Anyone have experience with accessing the SFO Polaris lounge as an AC passenger bound for Toronto/Montreal, or even for Vancouver/Calgary/Edmonton
My understanding is that Polaris access is for long-haul international only (I.e, TATL, TPAC, and S. America). Initially when the Polaris Lounge Opened at ORD, I believe the access rules were ‘looser’ allowing AC pax to Canada entry (and ironically, not UA pax to Canada), but obviously, it was never intended for that.

That said, if your itinerary is SFO-YYZ-E.U., all in business, then I think you’d get access. That would be based on the YYZ-E.U. segment in C/J, not on the transborder segment in J.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 21, 2018 at 7:17 pm Reason: cleanup after merge
Old Nov 21, 2018, 6:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No, AC J for SFO-YYZ does not qualify. This is made explicit on UA's website which defines "long-haul" and does not include Canada.

Long-haul international flights include those from the U.S. to Asia, Australia, Europe and select South American countries, including Argentina, Brazil, Chile and Peru.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Often1
No, AC J for SFO-YYZ does not qualify. This is made explicit on UA's website which defines "long-haul" and does not include Canada.

Long-haul international flights include those from the U.S. to Asia, Australia, Europe and select South American countries, including Argentina, Brazil, Chile and Peru.
I think this is worth repeating to avoid confusion. As Often1 states, you will not have SFO Polaris Lounge Access flying either AC J SFO-YYZ or SFO-YYZ-Europe. You can use the United Club Lounge at SFO though.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
That said, if your itinerary is SFO-YYZ-E.U., all in business, then I think you’d get access. That would be based on the YYZ-E.U. segment in C/J, not on the transborder segment in J.
No -- if flying non-UA metal, the departing flight needs to qualify -- and SFO-YYZ does not qualify for Polaris access. Onward Non-UA *A flights do not enter the picture.

The OP would have UC access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.