Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2024, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The Polaris Lounge is United's Business class lounge for passengers in premium cabins on long-haul flights only. It is separate from the United Club locations and the arrivals lounge in SFO.

Currently there are PLs in EWR, IAD, IAH, LAX, ORD, and SFO.

Quick Guide to "Do I get access?"

Are you in Polaris (Business) class on a long-haul United metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, Europe, Africa, French Polynesia, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access at all airports the same-day. It does not matter if your flights are on the same ticket or same cabin.
  • "Same-day" is ambiguous and is interpreted differently by different agents with respect to itineraries that include an overnight connection. YMMV and this thread has examples both ways.
  • No guests. Unless on F on a partner.
  • Though not stated by United, includes AKL (Auckland, New Zealand) when service begins.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on UA you get access in EWR and SFO
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on UA you get access in SFO and EWR, even if SFO-EWR is a separate Y ticket.

Are you in Business/First class on a long-haul *A partner metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Africa, Middle East, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access only at the airport where the long-haul flight departs.
  • At other airports along your route, you may have access to the United Club or other *A lounges. See here: Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread
  • Though not on United's stated list, access includes long-haul partner flights to Africa, Middle East, New Zealand, etc.
  • Guests: First Class (on flights with both First and Business cabins) only: you can bring 1 guest. Business class 0 guests.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on NH you get access only in SFO, not at EWR
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on NH you don't get any Polaris Lounge access because there is no Polaris Lounge in NRT, and you aren't eligible for SFO or EWR.

Are you on a United or partner short-haul international flight to/from Guam, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, Colombia, or Ecuador?
Are you in Premium Economy, Economy Plus, or Economy on any flight?
  • You do not get access, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Are you on a United domestic flight, including P.S. flights EWR-LAX, EWR-SFO, BOS-SFO?
  • You do not get access to the Polaris Lounge, even if you're flying in First on a wide-body plane with lie-flat "Polaris" style seats, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Can I get access through status, membership, one-time pass, or any other method?
  • No.
What else do it need for access?
  • Reports indicate that most PL's require a passport in addition to boarding pass for access. Some locations may accept other forms of ID (driver's license, etc.). This appears to be a response to possible fraudulent attempts at access (e.g., double printing BPs for friends).
If eligible for access, who can I guest?
  • Only those departing on a *A airline in long-haul Int'l First on a plane w/ First and Business classes has guesting privileges. One guest only, and that guest must be departing on same flight, in any class..
  • Those in Polaris or qualifying International Business cannot guest another passenger.
  • If you are in an old Global First seat in United Polaris class, you cannot guest another passenger. No longer relevant

More info

UA website outlining access for Polaris Lounge access

Photo ID required?There have been numerous reports from all Polaris Lounges of a photo ID being requested upon entry. Apparently, there have been some attempts to enter the PL with another person's BP (such as a traveling companion's). Recently there are reports that only a passport (not driver's license) is accepted at some lounges.

Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAD Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & in-flight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Archive: Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2018, 11:47 pm

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Originally Posted by jsloan
And, to be clear, no access to the Polaris lounge at SFO for that itinerary. If there were a Polaris lounge at LAX, both passengers would have access.
Originally Posted by Kacee
It sounds like this is the deal:
You: United Club member, business/first class SFO-LAX-TPE-DPS
Him: Economy SFO-LAX, business class LAX-TPE-DPS

If that's the case, you will both have access to the United Club at SFO and the *A lounge at LAX. You will also have access to the Infinity lounge at TPE.
Thank you both. Very helpful and clears up some confusion about Polaris/*A lounges. And apparently we will have access in TPE to either of the Infinity or Star EVA lounges, and some of my reading has indicated to the SQ Kris lounge as well (reported to be less crowded and have better food) given that it is also a *A lounge at TPE.

And for learning purposes only -- if it were only me under the above lounge access/full business ticket, would that work for Polaris? Or is the mileage tix part, or the EVA (*A but not UA) or the LAX departure that is the issue?

Last edited by mstraveler; Aug 18, 2018 at 11:53 pm
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mstraveler
And for learning purposes only -- if it were only me under the above lounge access/full business ticket, would that work for Polaris? Or is the mileage tix part, or the EVA (*A but not UA) or the LAX departure that is the issue?
*A but not UA / LAX departure.

You can use the Polaris lounge at SFO if you are:
  • Departing SFO on a long-haul *A flight in J/F, or
  • Departing another airport on a long-haul UA flight in Polaris J/F on the same day.
Upgrade vs. paid never matters. However, your itinerary fits neither of those conditions, so no access to the Polaris lounge
Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
We are departing on another airport (LAX) on a long-haul the same day .... well actually the LAX-TPE is within the hour after midnight so technically the next day? (and thanks for clarification of paid vs miles tickets)
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...And for learning purposes only -- if it were only me under the above lounge access/full business ticket, would that work for Polaris? Or is the mileage tix part, or the EVA (*A but not UA) or the LAX departure that is the issue?
The EVA ticket is the issue for Polaris Lounge access at SFO. If you were flying UA Polaris out of LAX, you'd get access to Polaris lounge at SFO and LAX (once it opens). Since the flight is on EVA out of LAX, Polaris lounge access for a *G operator is only accorded at the departure airport of the int'l front-cabin flight (ie LAX, but not SFO).
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We are departing on another airport (LAX) on a long-haul the same day .... well actually the LAX-TPE is within the hour after midnight so technically the next day? (and thanks for clarification of paid vs miles tickets)
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
The EVA ticket is the issue for Polaris Lounge access at SFO. If you were flying UA Polaris out of LAX, you'd get access to Polaris lounge at SFO and LAX (once it opens). Since the flight is on EVA out of LAX, Polaris lounge access for a *G operator is only accorded at the departure airport of the int'l front-cabin flight (ie LAX, but not SFO).
Precisely. mstraveler, you're departing another airport on a long-haul flight the same day.. but not a UA flight. Sorry.

Regarding the implicit question: for years, "same day" has been "within 24 hours." There have been a few recent reports of people being denied entry when connecting after an overnight transfer (arriving Polaris late Monday, spending the night at a hub, and connecting Tuesday morning, for example). I'd be astonished if "slightly after midnight" were not considered "same day" for these purposes, however.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Precisely. mstraveler, you're departing another airport on a long-haul flight the same day.. but not a UA flight. Sorry.

Regarding the implicit question: for years, "same day" has been "within 24 hours." There have been a few recent reports of people being denied entry when connecting after an overnight transfer (arriving Polaris late Monday, spending the night at a hub, and connecting Tuesday morning, for example). I'd be astonished if "slightly after midnight" were not considered "same day" for these purposes, however.
Ah, thank you so very much jsloan. I couldn't quite figure what exactly the wrinkle was here, whether it was ticket payment, technical time of day, UA metal vs UA ticket for *A flight vs *A carrier metal. That clarifiles it. Sadly . After all those years of UC membership and watching them all evolve. Oh, well. Another trip....
Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Got it IAH-OIL-TRASH. Finally! Thanks to you and jsloan for helping me sort through this, and saving me looking like one of those types no one wants to get behind in line trying to talk myself into a lounge Ito which I am not really not entitled .
I have been flying long enough to have a hard time keeping up with the ever finer points of the travel companies expanding hierarchical stratifications these days. Thanks to you both. SFO UC lounge and LAX TBIT *A lounge it is!
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:19 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
If same day, it is well within the rules and there should be no issue.
Looping back on this, ended up being a huge fiasco trying to access the PL in IAH. The agents downstairs were insistent that it wasn't correct until I repeatedly told them the EWR agents confirmed it was allowed. It finally took a call upstairs to a colleague or supervisor to confirm I was indeed allowed access. At that point, it had been 27 minutes (yes I timed it) and I lost the little time I had to go eat and grab a drink, so I ended up just leaving and going to my gate. All around an annoying experience.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 4:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
Looping back on this, ended up being a huge fiasco trying to access the PL in IAH. The agents downstairs were insistent that it wasn't correct until I repeatedly told them the EWR agents confirmed it was allowed. It finally took a call upstairs to a colleague or supervisor to confirm I was indeed allowed access. At that point, it had been 27 minutes (yes I timed it) and I lost the little time I had to go eat and grab a drink, so I ended up just leaving and going to my gate. All around an annoying experience.
That sucks.
I've had more trouble with UA lounge dragons at IAH than any other airport. I would probably write in about this one. Such a clear violation.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: LH SEN
I will be departing from IAH flying LH first class to FRA. As per the rules I will have access to the Polaris lounge and can guest one. Now my question: What requirements for the guest? Does (s)he need to be

(a) on the same flight,
(b) any *A same day flight or
(c) are there no requirements?

Thank you for your help!
Have safe travels
Primenumber
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:14 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Primenumber
I will be departing from IAH flying LH first class to FRA. As per the rules I will have access to the Polaris lounge and can guest one. Now my question: What requirements for the guest? Does (s)he need to be

(a) on the same flight,
(b) any *A same day flight or
(c) are there no requirements?

Thank you for your help!
Have safe travels
Primenumber
The United website does not specify. When I flew Polaris First, I made my life easy by inviting my wife who was flying on the same flight.

Do you have a person in mind or do you plan to invite some random person?

Maybe a FTer can ask that question when they next enter a Polaris Lounge and have an answer for you before your trip.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 1:51 am

Polaris Lounge Access

Hi everyone

Im wondering if I fly DUB-EWR-LAS do I have Polaris lounge access in EWR between the flights if the DUB-EWR is Polaris business & EWR-LAS is in Domestic First? Or do I just get access to the United Club?

Thanks
Old Sep 1, 2018, 1:54 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
Im wondering if I fly DUB-EWR-LAS do I have Polaris lounge access in EWR between the flights if the DUB-EWR is Polaris business & EWR-LAS is in Domestic First? Or do I just get access to the United Club? ....
If you have Polaris cabin / UA operated ticket that you have access to Polaris Lounges at any connecting airport.
So, yes.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by tht
BLR-FRA in LH in C (booked P), did UG online with GPU and cleared instantly to F (shows as O). 1 GPU left to burn for the year. Would have scored the FRA-EWR as well but it’s a UA codeshare and despite a couple of calls no agent would change it, citing that P was not upgradable. Looks like Inhabe an incentive to book on LH metal now if I can get the LH flight numbers.
Out of curiosity do you get Polaris lounge access on arrival when flying on that route of codeshare?

-James

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 2, 2018 at 7:51 pm Reason: moved to master thread
Old Sep 2, 2018, 5:40 pm
tht

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM
Originally Posted by j2simpso

Out of curiosity do you get Polaris lounge access on arrival when flying on that route of codeshare?

-James
Not sure about a domestic connection, EWR was my destination so I left the plane and was out of customs and on my way 7 mins later thanks to Global Entry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.