Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2024, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The Polaris Lounge is United's Business class lounge for passengers in premium cabins on long-haul flights only. It is separate from the United Club locations and the arrivals lounge in SFO.

Currently there are PLs in EWR, IAD, IAH, LAX, ORD, and SFO.

Quick Guide to "Do I get access?"

Are you in Polaris (Business) class on a long-haul United metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, Europe, Africa, French Polynesia, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access at all airports the same-day. It does not matter if your flights are on the same ticket or same cabin.
  • "Same-day" is ambiguous and is interpreted differently by different agents with respect to itineraries that include an overnight connection. YMMV and this thread has examples both ways.
  • No guests. Unless on F on a partner.
  • Though not stated by United, includes AKL (Auckland, New Zealand) when service begins.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on UA you get access in EWR and SFO
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on UA you get access in SFO and EWR, even if SFO-EWR is a separate Y ticket.

Are you in Business/First class on a long-haul *A partner metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Africa, Middle East, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access only at the airport where the long-haul flight departs.
  • At other airports along your route, you may have access to the United Club or other *A lounges. See here: Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread
  • Though not on United's stated list, access includes long-haul partner flights to Africa, Middle East, New Zealand, etc.
  • Guests: First Class (on flights with both First and Business cabins) only: you can bring 1 guest. Business class 0 guests.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on NH you get access only in SFO, not at EWR
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on NH you don't get any Polaris Lounge access because there is no Polaris Lounge in NRT, and you aren't eligible for SFO or EWR.

Are you on a United or partner short-haul international flight to/from Guam, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, Colombia, or Ecuador?
Are you in Premium Economy, Economy Plus, or Economy on any flight?
  • You do not get access, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Are you on a United domestic flight, including P.S. flights EWR-LAX, EWR-SFO, BOS-SFO?
  • You do not get access to the Polaris Lounge, even if you're flying in First on a wide-body plane with lie-flat "Polaris" style seats, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Can I get access through status, membership, one-time pass, or any other method?
  • No.
What else do it need for access?
  • Reports indicate that most PL's require a passport in addition to boarding pass for access. Some locations may accept other forms of ID (driver's license, etc.). This appears to be a response to possible fraudulent attempts at access (e.g., double printing BPs for friends).
If eligible for access, who can I guest?
  • Only those departing on a *A airline in long-haul Int'l First on a plane w/ First and Business classes has guesting privileges. One guest only, and that guest must be departing on same flight, in any class..
  • Those in Polaris or qualifying International Business cannot guest another passenger.
  • If you are in an old Global First seat in United Polaris class, you cannot guest another passenger. No longer relevant

More info

UA website outlining access for Polaris Lounge access

Photo ID required?There have been numerous reports from all Polaris Lounges of a photo ID being requested upon entry. Apparently, there have been some attempts to enter the PL with another person's BP (such as a traveling companion's). Recently there are reports that only a passport (not driver's license) is accepted at some lounges.

Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAD Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & in-flight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Archive: Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
As far as I know there is no guests allowed for someone flying business, no matter your status.

Source: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ge/access.aspx
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by iainmc
I'm traveling in a couple of months to Australia with my family. Wife and I are in biz (I'm Global Service), 3 kids in premium economy (they are in the row behind us).

Q ->should we go to the Polaris lounge or will be bounced? (or should i call the gs line an get it sorted out)...
Sounds like you are on a long hual International Business Class on a *A partner, if that is your departure flight, only those in Business Class will have Polaris Lounge access -- no guests and GS status will make no difference.

As a GS, you would be able to use the UC for the whole family (you can have 2 guest and your wife, if not an elite, can still have 1 guest)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 14, 2018 at 12:04 am
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Sounds like you are on a long hual International Business Class on a *A partner, if that is your departure flight, only those in Business Class will have Polaris Lounge access -- no guests and GS status will make no difference.
Even if OP meant a UA-operated flight, and was referring to E+ as PE, it wouldn't change anything; no guest access for business class passengers.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 6:54 pm

Programs: None no more
YYC-IAH-GIG
Rio flight is Polaris so I will have access upon departure at IAH
On returning:
GIG-IAH-YYC
Returning Rio flight is Polaris.
Can I access the IAH Polaris lounge for this return leg?

I am confused (perpetually) if this is an 'arrival' airport in this instance.
thanks
Old Aug 17, 2018, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by zackery149
YYC-IAH-GIG
Rio flight is Polaris so I will have access upon departure at IAH
On returning:
GIG-IAH-YYC
Returning Rio flight is Polaris.
Can I access the IAH Polaris lounge for this return leg?

I am confused (perpetually) if this is an 'arrival' airport in this instance.
thanks
Absolutely! The lounge access policy for Polaris lounges states that :
Customers in United Polaris business class may access a United Polaris lounge at departure, connecting and arrival airports along their eligible same-day routing.
In your case your return flight contains a Polaris leg. Once you've got that, supposing you don't have a stopover in a city you'll have access to any and all Polaris lounges along the way. Heck, there have been stories of FTers routing themselves from SFO through IAH, ORD, EWR just to experience all the possible Polaris lounges before making their TATL Polaris flight to Europe!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Quick access question: two of us will be flying SFO-DPS business on EVA but unfortunately have to fly to LAX on the outbound. Only one of us actually got business for that first segment and am imagining that they will not prevent me from entrance because I was unlucky enough to have to fly coach LAX-TPE. We can take the post security walkway from Terminal 3 to INTL if we feel like it, but would prefer not to show up and have them give us any trouble getting in. Thoughts?
Old Aug 18, 2018, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mstraveler
Quick access question: two of us will be flying SFO-DPS business on EVA but unfortunately have to fly to LAX on the outbound. Only one of us actually got business for that first segment and am imagining that they will not prevent me from entrance because I was unlucky enough to have to fly coach LAX-TPE. We can take the post security walkway from Terminal 3 to INTL if we feel like it, but would prefer not to show up and have them give us any trouble getting in. Thoughts?
Wrong thread. You're asking about the Star Alliance lounge, not the United Polaris lounge. There's a link to Star Alliance lounge policy in WIKI of this thread:
Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer
Old Aug 18, 2018, 11:46 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
If your itin is SFO-LAX-TPE-DPS, and the LAX-TPE is on BR in business, there will be no SFO Polaris lounge access for anyone.
If you have *G status, you could have UC access at SFO.

You will have access to the LAX TBIT *A lounge.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Sorry about the mis-post. All new since Polaris and thanks WineCountryUA for into. We have access anyway to UC in Terminal 3 which is just as well until we get to LAX. Thanks both for replies.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Wrong thread. You're asking about the Star Alliance lounge, not the United Polaris lounge. There's a link to Star Alliance lounge policy in WIKI of this thread:
Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer
I realize now I thought Polaris was a *A lounge. Thanks for clarification.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 18, 2018 at 2:37 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry about the mis-post. All new since Polaris and thanks WineCountryUA for into. We have access anyway to UC in Terminal 3 which is just as well until we get to LAX. Thanks both for replies.
Are you *G or United Club member? If not, you (the coach-seated passenger) will qualify as a Star Alliance lounge guest if your Business-seated passenger companion is *G or a United Club member. I don't think being in Business class in itself provides guest privileges at Star Alliance lounges..
:
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Are you *G or United Club member? If not, you (the coach-seated passenger) will qualify as a Star Alliance lounge guest if your Business-seated passenger companion is *G or a United Club member. I don't think being in Business class in itself provides guest privileges at Star Alliance lounges..
:
Thanks IAH-OIL-TRASH. Yes, UC club member, but not *G. Husband probably not qualifying as UC member because I gave up paid UC membership (after 20 years) in favor of the expensive credit card that essentially does the same thing for us when I stopped traveling for business so much. So I think he gets in as my guest (although also listed on the card, but not primary). Probably not worth the trek over and having to go through all of this if it is going to be an issue with the agents. Although it does seem like splitting a lot of hairs. We used to just breeze into that club all those years until Polaris, but still a great move for the Intl terminal F and B travelers.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks IAH-OIL-TRASH. Yes, UC club member, but not *G. Husband probably not qualifying as UC member because I gave up paid UC membership (after 20 years) in favor of the expensive credit card that essentially does the same thing for us when I stopped traveling for business so much. So I think he gets in as my guest (although also listed on the card, but not primary). Probably not worth the trek over and having to go through all of this if it is going to be an issue with the agents. Although it does seem like splitting a lot of hairs. We used to just breeze into that club all those years until Polaris, but still a great move for the Intl terminal F and B travelers.
Your entry w/ guest at United Club in SFO or LAX is no problem w/ one of you having membership (although you say you have membership but then say you gave it up - are you saying you have the Chase Club card?). As far as Star Alliance lounge access at LAX, I still am still a bit confused as to who confused as to who is in Business class. If the person in Business class has a United Club membership or Is Star Alliance Gold, they will be able to guest in the coach passenger. If the Business class passenger does not have a United Club membership or *G status, the coach passenger must have a United Club membership (Chase Club card provides membership) or have *G status.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 11:18 pm

Appreciate the reply and would actually love to sort this out IAH-OIL-TRASH since we will have a lot of time at SFO. To be clearer, we are both on RT business (mileage) tickets SFO -DPS. Due to the vagaries of getting 5 segments x2 all on business, the SFO-LAX segment was not available for HIM (incorrect in a previous post). BUT it turns out that all 5 segments for the entire trip are business for me and I am primary on the Chase United Club access. And we are both booked on RT international business to Bali on United/EVA.

Lots of experience with International UC, but unfortunately not in the brief span since it has become Polaris, so assumed this would qualify but would love to know if not before we get there!
Old Aug 18, 2018, 11:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Appreciate the reply and would actually love to sort this out IAH-OIL-TRASH since we will have a lot of time at SFO. To be clearer, we are both on RT business (mileage) tickets SFO -DPS. Due to the vagaries of getting 5 segments x2 all on business, the SFO-LAX segment was not available for HIM (incorrect in a previous post). BUT it turns out that all 5 segments for the entire trip are business for me and I am primary on the Chase United Club access. And we are both booked on RT international business to Bali on United/EVA.
It sounds like this is the deal:
You: United Club member, business/first class SFO-LAX-TPE-DPS
Him: Economy SFO-LAX, business class LAX-TPE-DPS

If that's the case, you will both have access to the United Club at SFO and the *A lounge at LAX. You will also have access to the Infinity lounge at TPE.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
If that's the case, you will both have access to the United Club at SFO and the *A lounge at LAX. You will also have access to the Infinity lounge at TPE.
And, to be clear, no access to the Polaris lounge at SFO for that itinerary. If there were a Polaris lounge at LAX, both passengers would have access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.