Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Old Jan 8, 2024, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The Polaris Lounge is United's Business class lounge for passengers in premium cabins on long-haul flights only. It is separate from the United Club locations and the arrivals lounge in SFO.

Currently there are PLs in EWR, IAD, IAH, LAX, ORD, and SFO.

Quick Guide to "Do I get access?"

Are you in Polaris (Business) class on a long-haul United metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, Europe, Africa, French Polynesia, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access at all airports the same-day. It does not matter if your flights are on the same ticket or same cabin.
  • "Same-day" is ambiguous and is interpreted differently by different agents with respect to itineraries that include an overnight connection. YMMV and this thread has examples both ways.
  • No guests. Unless on F on a partner.
  • Though not stated by United, includes AKL (Auckland, New Zealand) when service begins.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on UA you get access in EWR and SFO
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on UA you get access in SFO and EWR, even if SFO-EWR is a separate Y ticket.

Are you in Business/First class on a long-haul *A partner metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Africa, Middle East, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access only at the airport where the long-haul flight departs.
  • At other airports along your route, you may have access to the United Club or other *A lounges. See here: Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread
  • Though not on United's stated list, access includes long-haul partner flights to Africa, Middle East, New Zealand, etc.
  • Guests: First Class (on flights with both First and Business cabins) only: you can bring 1 guest. Business class 0 guests.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on NH you get access only in SFO, not at EWR
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on NH you don't get any Polaris Lounge access because there is no Polaris Lounge in NRT, and you aren't eligible for SFO or EWR.

Are you on a United or partner short-haul international flight to/from Guam, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, Colombia, or Ecuador?
Are you in Premium Economy, Economy Plus, or Economy on any flight?
  • You do not get access, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Are you on a United domestic flight, including P.S. flights EWR-LAX, EWR-SFO, BOS-SFO?
  • You do not get access to the Polaris Lounge, even if you're flying in First on a wide-body plane with lie-flat "Polaris" style seats, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Can I get access through status, membership, one-time pass, or any other method?
  • No.
What else do it need for access?
  • Reports indicate that most PL's require a passport in addition to boarding pass for access. Some locations may accept other forms of ID (driver's license, etc.). This appears to be a response to possible fraudulent attempts at access (e.g., double printing BPs for friends).
If eligible for access, who can I guest?
  • Only those departing on a *A airline in long-haul Int'l First on a plane w/ First and Business classes has guesting privileges. One guest only, and that guest must be departing on same flight, in any class..
  • Those in Polaris or qualifying International Business cannot guest another passenger.
  • If you are in an old Global First seat in United Polaris class, you cannot guest another passenger. No longer relevant

More info

UA website outlining access for Polaris Lounge access

Photo ID required?There have been numerous reports from all Polaris Lounges of a photo ID being requested upon entry. Apparently, there have been some attempts to enter the PL with another person's BP (such as a traveling companion's). Recently there are reports that only a passport (not driver's license) is accepted at some lounges.

Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAD Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & in-flight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Archive: Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Old Jul 23, 2018, 3:41 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
I've read almost all of this thread now (yes, seriously), but didn't see an authoritative definition of what "qualifying same day itinerary" means for Polaris lounge access purposes. There was a post that indicated that "same day" meant a 24 hour period, but it was talking about access for US-domestic segments before a qualifying international flight.

So is there a definitive definition of "qualifying same day itinerary"? If this 24 hour rule is real, is that from the time of first departure? Or between segments? The specific scenario I am interested in is a qualifying flight, followed by an overnight stay in the US, with a flight to the final destination the afternoon of the day after the qualifying flight landed. Is access to Polaris lounge available before the domestic flight in this scenario?
Old Jul 23, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by scottmlew
I've read almost all of this thread now (yes, seriously), but didn't see an authoritative definition of what "qualifying same day itinerary" means for Polaris lounge access purposes. There was a post that indicated that "same day" meant a 24 hour period, but it was talking about access for US-domestic segments before a qualifying international flight.

So is there a definitive definition of "qualifying same day itinerary"? If this 24 hour rule is real, is that from the time of first departure? Or between segments? The specific scenario I am interested in is a qualifying flight, followed by an overnight stay in the US, with a flight to the final destination the afternoon of the day after the qualifying flight landed. Is access to Polaris lounge available before the domestic flight in this scenario?
To be on the safe side, I would respond with this question: Is it on one PNR? Or are you booking this on separate reservations / PNRs? If on one PNR, I would wager the boarding pass says "INTL" and it will grant you access. If not on one, I would bet denial of access.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
To be on the safe side, I would respond with this question: Is it on one PNR? Or are you booking this on separate reservations / PNRs? If on one PNR, I would wager the boarding pass says "INTL" and it will grant you access. If not on one, I would bet denial of access.
It would be on one PNR. I would still appreciate a definitive answer if anyone knows, especially since the access rules for he regular United Club contain the same wording...it would be annoying to arrive several hours before a flight expecting Polaris lounge access, only to be left with none at all.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HH DM; National Exec
Booked my mother in Polaris (longhaul) while I'll be roughing it in Economy. Long shot but any chance the lounge dragon would allow me inside as well to accompany my mother? Only got Silver sadly but hopefully better than nothing.. Cheers.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by fletcherflyer
Booked my mother in Polaris (longhaul) while I'll be roughing it in Economy. Long shot but any chance the lounge dragon would allow me inside as well to accompany my mother? Only got Silver sadly but hopefully better than nothing.. Cheers.
Make sure your mom brings some snacks out for you...you're not going to be getting in.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:43 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Consolidated "Polaris Access Questions" Thread

Seemed like it was time for a generic Polaris Lounge access thread.

For other Polaris lounge discussions, see

Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & in-flight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 25, 2018 at 12:13 pm
Old Jul 25, 2018, 9:09 pm

I am slightly confused by the Wiki per Lounge Access. I will be flying NRT-IAH-MIA with NRT-IAH on ANA in J and IAH-MIA in Y. I have an awful 10 hour layover as it stands right now. Will I get Polaris Lounge access?

Thanks!
Old Jul 25, 2018, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sgan317
I am slightly confused by the Wiki per Lounge Access. I will be flying NRT-IAH-MIA with NRT-IAH on ANA in J and IAH-MIA in Y. I have an awful 10 hour layover as it stands right now. Will I get Polaris Lounge access?
Sorry but no. You are not departing on an eligible *A international premium cabin flight or traveling on a UA Polaris ticket.

Do you have *G status? If you do, then you would have UC access @ IAH.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Sorry but no. You are not departing on an eligible *A international premium cabin flight or traveling on a UA Polaris ticket.

Do you have *G status? If you do, then you would have UC access @ IAH.
I do not, my flight doesnt fall under the connecting rules?
Old Jul 25, 2018, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
No. Without status, club membership, or arrival in United Polaris Class, you have no access to IAH UCs or Polaris Lounge for the reason stated above.

If you had flown UA Polaris Class to IAH, United’s special rule for United passengers (status or status-free) would have allowed you access to IAH Polaris lounge based on your arrival means.

You can buy a lounge pass probably (United Club, not Polaris Lounge), get a day room, and/or do same-day change to earlier MIA flight (if available).

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jul 25, 2018 at 9:44 pm
Old Jul 25, 2018, 10:08 pm

Generally without status (which will not help at the Polaris lounge but does help for United Clubs), Star Alliance lounges are departure lounges and your access is based on your departure flight -- not arrival flight. There can also be special rules for passengers of the lounger operator but arrival on ANA/NH at IAH, that is no help for you.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 4:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle
I know paid united club isn't on United's eligibility list for Polaris access, but given the below...maybe it should be?

"Paid Lounge Membership Customers

As an eligible holder of Paid Lounge Membership, you have access to any Star Alliance member airline Business Class Lounge. Eligible paid memberships include United Club and Air Canada Maple Leaf Club – Worldwide. You will need to show your boarding pass for a Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport together with your valid eligible paid lounge membership card, displaying the Star Alliance Lounge Logo. You are entitled to a maximum of one guest travelling on any Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport.

Except in Singapore where the Singapore Airlines Krisflyer Gold Lounge is available."

Polaris *is* a Star Alliance member airline Business Class lounge, is it not??

Boom! Let me in!

+ United Misspelled "traveling" on their website. Poor.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by dav3d

Boom! Let me in!

Polaris lounges are not considered Star Alliance lounges.

If if you are referring to ‘travelling’ as being misspelt ( British ver.), it isn’t - it is the British English spelling of the word.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Two things here:

- I believe United's rules would trump whatever is posted on the Star Alliance website regarding club membership entry to lounges. It could very well be that the Star Alliance website has not updated the access rules to reflect this nuance (given they captured the SilverKris exception in SIN, I think this is probably the issue).
- "travelling" is more commonly used in the UK - since Star Alliance is a German entity, it would make sense they followed the UK conventions

I know paid united club isn't on United's eligibility list for Polaris access, but given the below...maybe it should be?

"Paid Lounge Membership Customers

As an eligible holder of Paid Lounge Membership, you have access to any Star Alliance member airline Business Class Lounge. Eligible paid memberships include United Club and Air Canada Maple Leaf Club – Worldwide. You will need to show your boarding pass for a Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport together with your valid eligible paid lounge membership card, displaying the Star Alliance Lounge Logo. You are entitled to a maximum of one guest travelling on any Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport.

Except in Singapore where the Singapore Airlines Krisflyer Gold Lounge is available."

Boom! Let me in!

Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, your argument is basically that UA should let its own paid UC members into the Polaris lounge because of a *A rule that was written to allow UC members reciprocal access to other airline clubs? I'm pretty sure UA knew that it offered paid UC memberships when it set up the access rules to the Polaris lounge.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.